Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
1972 Fox

Drinkwater starts for England v Australia

Not disappointed we lost but fielded a very young and inexperienced side against a team warming up for a major tournament. Good for the future and goal of qualifying for the WC

Some decent players there, quite impressed that they tried to play out, less direct than I expected.

I don't agree. The problem isn't Drinkwater. We all know he's been exceptional all season. The problem is Hodgson and how he sets us up. I say once more...If we go on to do well in the Euro's it will be IN SPITE of Woy, not because of him. We have some really good players so we ought to do ok. But it won't be because of 6 million a year Roy Hodgson.

Agreed. I dont support England, but Roy Hodgson is ****ing useless. 

If he had put Drinky and Vardy against Turkey, you would have seen what they were capable of. 

Drinky didnt have a great game today but if you put another manager in charge of that team you wouldnt be so shit.

Agreed. I dont support England, but Roy Hodgson is ****ing useless. 

If he had put Drinky and Vardy against Turkey, you would have seen what they were capable of. 

Drinky didnt have a great game today but if you put another manager in charge of that team you wouldnt be so shit.

incredibly doubtful tbh. 

Just face it, after yet another successful qualifying campaign against part time dentists and builders its back to tournament reality.

Fully expect  both Wales and Russia to beat us comfortably and us go out in first round.

Still its a young team and theres always the world cup in two years. :|

I got flamed on the last England match thread for suggesting Drinkwater isn't international class - and he proved it again for me tonight.

He seems capable of scrapping a ball back, then knocking it over the top. Doesn't seem to offer much else, and only works with Vardy.

Don't blame Roy's system - the abuse he gets on here is very un fair.

Typical knee jerk over reaction on here. It was a mixture of first choice and reserves in a pre tournament friendly, which we won, and all of a sudden Wales are going to thrash us.

DD had a much better second half but didn't demand the ball enough. Shame Vardy wasn't playing, as DD would have been playing him in all night long given the space the Aussies were leaving in behind.

As for Rashford, he clearly has bags of potential but if he played for West Brom, had scored 7 in 20 games in the Prem plus a goal against a reserve Australia team in a meaningless friendly, would he be the "certainty" he now appears to be?

I got flamed on the last England match thread for suggesting Drinkwater isn't international class - and he proved it again for me tonight.

He seems capable of scrapping a ball back, then knocking it over the top. Doesn't seem to offer much else, and only works with Vardy.

Are you referring to Roy?! If so the man is a dinosaur. 

To have any chance of getting into the squad you have to do as instructed by the manager and that has to be what drinky was doing.

He looked decent 2nd half but he didn't press as much, didn't get his head up as much and didn't look to be as creative as he can be. He didn't generally have alot of runners or options but he looked like a man instructed to play it safe and simple.

You're spot on.

Drinkwater is a decent player but even for us he's not in the top 5 most important players for us. The only reason he's is in there is due to the lack of fitness to Wilshere and Hemderson. Like it or not but t Wilshire is a superior footballer to Drinkwater.

Depends a lot on how you want to play.

Someone like Sherrington or Le Toaster might have been better footballers than someone like vardy... but we wouldn't play them in the vardy position for Leicester.

Same with drinky, he always sees an early pass and is always involved when playing for us. So.eone like Wiltshire might not be able to do the dog work that drinky does for us.

Same goes with England. Woy should pick the players he thinks can do a job for him and those in form.

To be honest, in would be unjust to let players in the form of Barkley or sterling to go ahead of townsend. Drinky showed more than Henderson but there wasn't much in it.

To be fair Drinky doesn't really stamp his authority on the game the way he can for us.

Either way whether drinky goes or not, I will see it as a positive for us.

Typical knee jerk over reaction on here. It was a mixture of first choice and reserves in a pre tournament friendly, which we won, and all of a sudden Wales are going to thrash us.

Not at all, can you imagine how up for it Wales are going to be?!

Especially with one of woys plodding teams....watching england in a proper tournament is like self harming.

I hope they beat us.

Unfortunately DD is behind Dier,Wilshere,Henderson, Rooney if he plays in midfield , I would think he will be dropped from the squad , if he does then at least he can have a couple more weeks rest ready for next season

Hodgson?

The mans rightly in the last chance saloon for me this summer, but there are certainly more pressing issues than whether DD starts or even goes.

Depends a lot on how you want to play.

Someone like Sherrington or Le Toaster might have been better footballers than someone like vardy... but we wouldn't play them in the vardy position for Leicester.

Same with drinky, he always sees an early pass and is always involved when playing for us. So.eone like Wiltshire might not be able to do the dog work that drinky does for us.

Same goes with England. Woy should pick the players he thinks can do a job for him and those in form.

To be honest, in would be unjust to let players in the form of Barkley or sterling to go ahead of townsend. Drinky showed more than Henderson but there wasn't much in it.

To be fair Drinky doesn't really stamp his authority on the game the way he can for us.

Either way whether drinky goes or not, I will see it as a positive for us.

Le toaster lol I love auto correct

Woy was suggesting in his interview that Sturridge would go if he trains on Monday and he won't dare leave rashford out now.

So drinkwater could be under threat, he didn't do enough tonight to give woy no option but to pick him.

I think this whole 23 from 26 was a mistake, players should be settling down together, not playing for a place in the squad. If Roy wasn't so keen on injury limited players, we wouldn't have seen so much nervousness.

One more thing, I'm old enough to remember Bobby Robson getting slaughtered for years, and then totally turn it round at Italia 90. Nothing is impossible, we know that better than anybody.

Totally agree about the 23/26. It's another terrible decision from a hopeless manager. There are players playing against players, not against the opposition. It looked obvious.

How many times did the midfielders try to link up? All the seemed to do was pass back or forward, or try something spectacular to catch the eye. They didn't look to link up just in case another midfielder did something good and they'd lose their place.

Yet another reason Woy is such a useless manager.

At least I should get a good nights kip after watching that rubbish. However, I'm sure Woy is as delighted as usual.

Is it possible Drinkwater is knackered from this season? The shift he's had to put in this season, far outweighs England's other CM options.

His England performances have been polar opposite to when he plays for us. He could just be knackered and need a rest instead of going to the Euros..?!

You're spot on.

Drinkwater is a decent player but even for us he's not in the top 5 most important players for us. The only reason he's is in there is due to the lack of fitness to Wilshere and Hemderson. Like it or not but t Wilshire is a superior footballer to Drinkwater.

stop talking bollocks drinkwater earns his place in the england team just needs another good midfielder like kanta to get more notice the rest are shite so drinkwater looks out of place.this is why i dont give a shit what england do in tournements because of people like you who think players who have only played a few games in a season need to get picked ahead of players who have played most of the season and been consistent. lets not forget players like wilshire have played in tournments and have failed

I don't think he's International class either. You'll have people telling you he's a PL winner. Yeah, and so was Wes Brown and Shaun Wright Phillips.

He's a decent player but that's about it.

Hodgson?

The mans rightly in the last chance saloon for me this summer, but there are certainly more pressing issues than whether DD starts or even goes.

Le toaster lol I love auto correct

who said it was auto correct......don't you remember Le Toaster.... best player since sliced bread

I don't think he's International class either. You'll have people telling you he's a PL winner. Yeah, and so was Wes Brown and Shaun Wright Phillips.

He's a decent player but that's about it.

Just a decent player? Are you an ostrich? Have you seen Drinkwater play for us?!? The guy is quality & clearly class, I wouldn't want any other English midfielder in our team over him!

He cant excel at international level, because this England team play a boring style which doesn't suit him. To say, he's 'a decent player, but that's about it', is quite frankly, a disgrace.

Archived