Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxxy

Trip Hop - Portishead, Tricky, Unkle, Allflaws

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

UNKLE are producing some decent tunes still--nothing as punchy as Psyence Fiction--but still decent. Restless on War stories popped up on my Spotify list recently:

I was reading about UNKLE, James Lavelle, DJ Shadow and MoWax. Lavelle through his record label, in London, was in contact with DJ Shadow, in California, before Endtroducing came out.

Lavelle managed to encourage DJ Shadow's more moodier work. Shadow was sure people would hate what he was producing. He seemed to purposely produce work that he was sure Lavelle would hate. But Lavelle, sending over emails, letters and phonecalls from London, just encouraged him.

Shadow said he produced "Dark Days" as a moody, depressive piece that he was sure Lavelle would throw out. Lavelle loved it and asked for it to released as soon as possible. I still listen to Dark Days today. It's certainly moody--but it's really aged well, as much much of his work from that era.

Lavelle had Shadow over in London just as Endtroducing came out. They were in a record store, and Shadow picked up a review of Entroducing. The first one he'd ever seen. The review slated the album--absolutely hated it. Shadow was sure the album would be binned by everyone. He asked James what he thought: James just laughed and said the UK music press didn't know shit.

Edited by Foxxed
  • Like 1

On 09/04/2017 at 01:20, Foxxed said:

UNKLE are producing some decent tunes still--nothing as punchy as Psyence Fiction--but still decent. Restless on War stories popped up on my Spotify list recently:

I was reading about UNKLE, James Lavelle, DJ Shadow and MoWax. Lavelle through his record label, in London, was in contact with DJ Shadow, in California, before Endtroducing came out.

Lavelle managed to encourage DJ Shadow's more moodier work. Shadow was sure people would hate what he was producing. He seemed to purposely produce work that he was sure Lavelle would hate. But Lavelle, sending over emails, letters and phonecalls from London, just encouraged him.

Shadow said he produced "Dark Days" as a moody, depressive piece that he was sure Lavelle would throw out. Lavelle loved it and asked for it to released as soon as possible. I still listen to Dark Days today. It's certainly moody--but it's really aged well, as much much of his work from that era.

Lavelle had Shadow over in London just as Endtroducing came out. They were in a record store, and Shadow picked up a review of Entroducing. The first one he'd ever seen. The review slated the album--absolutely hated it. Shadow was sure the album would be binned by everyone. He asked James what he thought: James just laughed and said the UK music press didn't know shit.

haha like that story. Ended up being a total classic album as well.

Loving this tune. I'm going to investigate the War Stories album now for sure.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...