Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
breadandcheese

Weak Links in The Team

Yesterday's result is same old same old, which has me thinking why this is? We have changed much of the personel, yet still seem incapable of closing out a game with only 5 mins to go.

Which leads me to ask the question who you think is/are the weak links of the team?

I went to the Brighton game (didn't go to Pride Park), but seem to think our failings are mostly down to our central midfield. This is the only part of the team not to have had an overhaul from Adams's team. We seem to lack a general in the midfield who will protect the backfour, boss the midfield, shut-out opposing teams and ensure we do not allow others teams to dominate.

Williams, although I rate him for his range of passing and ability to keep the ball moving, seems unable to impose himself upon or organise a midfield.

Gudjonsson, although he is having a good season, is not in my mind a good boss and does not posess enough ability to shut-out opposing midfields. He needs somebody to lead him through a game.

These players to me are not a good pairing for what is the most important part of any team. I have not seen Wesolowski, so do not know what he is like and am unsure whether Hughes would fair better in the centre than the above mentioned players. Either way, I think this is where our problems lie.

It was interesting to hear Rowett on the radio saying how Leicester would be punished if they did not stop Derby getting balls into the box. This is the job of the midfield, so where were they and who was organising them? Of course, Derby did score and we went away with 1 point rather than 3.

On another note, I think I prefer Henderson in goal to Douglas as he seems prepared to come off his line and is more vocal than big Rab. Think the defence prefer that.

Central Midfield, although we have the answer there in Stephan Hughes and hopefully James Wesolowski. Too inconsisent on the wings, but again hopefully Ryan Smith will solve that little problem. That is about it, we are not that far way from being a good side.

Yesterday's result is same old same old, which has me thinking why this is? We have changed much of the personel, yet still seem incapable of closing out a game with only 5 mins to go.

Which leads me to ask the question who you think is/are the weak links of the team?

I went to the Brighton game (didn't go to Pride Park), but seem to think our failings are mostly down to our central midfield. This is the only part of the team not to have had an overhaul from Adams's team. We seem to lack a general in the midfield who will protect the backfour, boss the midfield, shut-out opposing teams and ensure we do not allow others teams to dominate.

Williams, although I rate him for his range of passing and ability to keep the ball moving, seems unable to impose himself upon or organise a midfield.

Gudjonsson, although he is having a good season, is not in my mind a good boss and does not posess enough ability to shut-out opposing midfields. He needs somebody to lead him through a game.

These players to me are not a good pairing for what is the most important part of any team. I have not seen Wesolowski, so do not know what he is like and am unsure whether Hughes would fair better in the centre than the above mentioned players. Either way, I think this is where our problems lie.

It was interesting to hear Rowett on the radio saying how Leicester would be punished if they did not stop Derby getting balls into the box. This is the job of the midfield, so where were they and who was organising them? Of course, Derby did score and we went away with 1 point rather than 3.

On another note, I think I prefer Henderson in goal to Douglas as he seems prepared to come off his line and is more vocal than big Rab. Think the defence prefer that.

At this stage it is no use assuming Wesolowski will be back after Christmas. We all hope he is. But a broken leg is a traumatic injury for any player and especially one so young. We definitely need creativity in midfield and the best we have at present is Hughes and Hume with a winger and a defensive midfielder. Can't see any alternatives in the reserves either. Williams needs to be sold and replaced.

yes and when he does come he hasnt got the confidence to try and catch the ball, big rab ghas an unfair rep. as someone who makes constant mistakes

true, i think henderson likes to come and just get rid though before anything bad can happpen, which can sometimes be a good thing, although unnessesary (sp?) most of the time

Henderson has a better kick than big Rab but generally i think the pair are on par and when Rab recovers from his ankle injury unless Henderson has a few nightmares from now until then Henderson should keep his place.Why are we talking about henderson in a weak link thread anywaay?

Central Midfield, although we have the answer there in Stephan Hughes and hopefully James Wesolowski. Too inconsisent on the wings, but again hopefully Ryan Smith will solve that little problem. That is about it, we are not that far way from being a good side.

On this topic, why does CL keep taking hughes off!?!??!

i havnt read most of the posts but tiatto is a weak link - im not part of JWAD or what ever, but he is to rash - im not bothered about himself getting banned - but if he gets sent off we will be down to 10 men - he should really have been sent off agaisnt brighton and derby - i was surprised he wasnt in at least one.

Also we need a striker who can head - MDV (Explains itself). Hume & Hamond both small.

We need someone llike dublin who can be effective for the whole game

b&c, i totally agree with you. Who would you play instead of joey and williams?

The thing is Lush there isn't an alternative in the centre at the minutes other than to stick Hughes in there. We desperately need Wesolowski back, but how long until he's fully fit is anyone's guess. Hopefully he'll be back in full training by the start of December and can get ready for a fruitful run in the team come January.

I honestly think he is the answer to the questions you keep asking regarding the HR. Whether we should get a short term loan in or not i'm not sure but CL won't do. Is Kisnorbo and Hughes more potent than Joey and Williams? I'm not sure, but our central midfield needs to be more attack minded. Something Williams isn't doing well at the minute and something Joey tries to do but is better defensively.

IF weso comes good and we have the time, i think joey will be gone. Hopefully williams will be gone too.

There is nothing those 2 can add to hughes kiso and weso. If we are serious about promotion, then that 3 are the least we need to get up there and stay there.

I have wondered for a while whether Kisnorbo could do Joey's job. It first struck me a few weeks ago at a reserve game when he covered fully 40 yards in a crossfield diagonal run and hit the opposition's left winger with a tackle that shuddered him so hard I should think he's still vibrating today.

A fair tackle I hasten to add. But it was the sheer determination he showed and that was a feature of his play against Derby. He's strong, he's athletic, he can and will tackle, he can pass and he shouldn't be keeping Sheehan out of the left back spot cos it's a bloody waste.

Joey is a good and busy hussler but there's not too much once he's got the ball. True his distribution has improved, as has his consistency - because he does stick to simple - but he does lack a certain presence.

Not that I have anything against Joey or his performances. He has been one of our most consistent players this season but do we have better?. That is all I am asking. My view is not strongly enough formed to give an answer cos I've not seen enough of Kisnorbo.

There is probably little in it but the real snag is Tiatto.

Levein loves him = he does have a certain destructive presence - he's the guy chosen as skipper and he certainly has heart. If I could trust him he'd be a real threat in Joey's role.

IF Levein could get through to him and IF he would be disciplined enough to retain his position and pass the ball simply he does have a bit of attacking capability if need be...and certainly he'd be more useful in the middle that out on the left where he's a big liability for many reasons.

Anyway, that's the nice question cos we've got three committed enough players for that role. The Williams question is trickier but I'd solve it with Hume. As I've long advocated I'd use Hume as a sort of full-frontal midfielder because he is creative, he can provide width usefully and he has the energy to run into gaps made by Smithy, Hammond and MDV.

The team gets to use all four of its top attackers, gets rid of the ineffective Williams, retains speed and width and energy and still has sufficient in midfield to repell most attacks - not forgetting the attacks won't be in numbers cos no manager in his right mind will leave our four attackers to roam free so he'll need plenty of bodies to contain them.

Hume is the only creative candidate in my view.

It is probably our major problem now because we don't have naturally creative back up. I don't see Williams changing and I don't see anyone coming through in the feeder teams just now to do that job.

Douglas;

Stearman/Kisnorbo/Maybury --- Nils/Sheehan... Gerrbrand/Dion?McCarthy............Sheehan;

Hughes........Joey/Kisnorbo/Tiatto.........Smith (Hammill);

Hume;

MDV---------------Hammond.

With Sylla the replacement winger and strikers emerging from the Academy that looks as healthy as we've had for a while. And I've not mentioned Wilcox or Gilbert. In fact that is starting to look like a good side with some of the choices being difficult ones for the right reasons.

It has also just struck me how easily that line would turn into 3-3-4 - now that would be brave:

Douglas;

Stearman, Gerrbrand Nils;

Hughes, Kisnorbo, Sheehan;

Smith, MDV, Hammond, Hume.

Wouldn't need to tell anyone, just let it happen naturally. Would anyone in our League stop that lot in full flow? The more I think about it, working on a bit of an old fashioned pulley system with Sheehan operating according to need in defence and left midfield....

Frightening but we've got the athletes..

PS You've gotta remember some of us old timers were brough up on 2-3-5 - yes, with the five at the front so it's not so revolutionary..

Douglas;

Stearman/Kisnorbo/Maybury --- Nils/Sheehan... Gerrbrand/Dion?McCarthy............Sheehan;

Hughes........Joey/Kisnorbo/Tiatto.........Smith (Hammill);

Hume;

MDV---------------Hammond.

maybury completes his ban versus watford, even though i have been impressed with joey i wouldnt mind seeing kisnorbo move to that position if it ment sheehan could play lb

Thrach, kiso was brought in to do "joey`s" job, and to play alongside hughes "williams" job.

I agree with most of what you say, but 5 up front? Well, we`ll have to sack CL and bring in warnock, as weve only 2/3 strikers of any substance.

Lush, I'll be honest, I just don't know. It is the holding midfielder that is the problem.

I am now fairly sure that Hughes should be in the middle. He strikes me as having many of the qualities that Muzzy had/has (box-to-box, attack minded, comfortable on the ball, prepared to put the boot in & tackle, makes good runs, runs all day - although not blessed with the same natural stamina as Muzzy, etc). He may not be as talented a passer as Williams, or possess the same vision, but we cannot risk having our midfield overrun by someone who fails to impose himself.

With regards, the holding midfielder, I am at a loss. Having not seen Wesolowski play, I cannot make a judgement as to whether he is the best choice. From reading people's posts, I am not sure whether he is suited to the holding role, or whether he should in fact play a more attacking role.

I would like to see Kisnorbo given a try in this position. See if he is capable, but again, he is an unknown quantity in that respect. We all know he is committed and determined so he should be at least on a par with Gudjonsson. Although my concern is that he is similar to Tiatto in making rash challenges. Either way, I'd like to see him tried for a few games in this position.

Mentioning Tiatto, he would also be interesting in this position, but his lack of brain makes this a problem, although his commitment and drive are faultless. I don't think he would do any worse than Kisnorbo or Gudjonsson. In fact, I think he could be quite good in the centre (If he keeps his head).

I guess it is very much a case of trying out different players. One thing for sure, I am not happy with Gudjonsson playing this role. I know he has been our best player this season, but do not think he is a good organiser or has the vision to read the game effectively.

So really, I am at a loss as to who is best to play out of the players we have. The other option is to look for players in the January window. Even go for a stop gap player. Someone like Flitcroft is available, or we could even try and pull-off another audacious loan for somebody like Sean Davis from Tottenham (whilst he is on the road to match fitness).

Anyway, that's my 2 pence worth. One thing's for sure, I don't think we will see Hughes play inside, unless Tiatto plays on the left. Levein has always said he likes to play one side wide and one narrow. For that reason, either Hughes or Tiatto will play on one of the flanks during a match (or both together if we play narrow). I will certainly be surprised to see Levein start both Smith and Sylla together in the same team (unless a. we have a bad injury situation or b. he has impressed on either Sylla or Smith to stay narrow)

Thrach, kiso was brought in to do "joey`s" job, and to play alongside hughes "williams" job.

I agree with most of what you say, but 5 up front? Well, we`ll have to sack CL and bring in warnock, as weve only 2/3 strikers of any substance.

I didn't say WE should play five up front - I said old timers like myself were brought up on it so four at the front would not be so revolutionary. Sorry if I didn't make it clear enough.

Archived