Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
theacademic

Research on our everyday use of electronic devices

Thanks to those who took part in an earlier version of some university research I am involved in that is looking at how we conduct our everyday relationships through smartphones, computers, tablets and other electronic devices. I have now moved on to a second phase of questions and I hope you can spare a few minutes to share your important views.

https://teesside.onlinesurveys.ac.uk/screen-society-2

Thanks in advance. 

• 1 month later...

Ok, some observations for you;

• If you're surveying someone it's useful to have simple, clear and unambiguous questions. 
  • Only ask one overall question at a time - one had three question marks! (An exception would be to ask for thoughts and why, but don't pose a question that is structured "what do you think about this, this and this?)
  • If you need to preface a question or set of questions with some important information you want the answer per to consider, it needs to be on the same page - but it also should be separate to the body of the question itself. 
  • Be careful to not include things in a question that might lead someone to an answer - a number of the survey questions were potentially guilty of that which would make your findings unreliable.
  • The questions should flow into each other - the person answering should have an idea what's coming next.
  • A lot of your questions were very broad - not many people answering surveys want to write an essay. In some examples it would have been better to split a question into 3 or more mini questions.

If i give you an example... 

Orignal question: Research says that fitness apps can do more harm than good. Can they?

My initial thought reading that: What research? The word Research looks like a hyperlink but doesn't work (not that many would bother to click on it)! Am I more qualified to answer this than this 'Research?'

It's a very board question... makes it difficult to know how to answer.

The structure of the question with the 'can they?' casts doubt on the previous line... meaning that could lead a lot of respondents to answer against the 'Research' because they've been subconsciously led that way.

Suggested change: Split this into several simplified easier to answer questions...

Preface: There's a growing business in fitness based smartphone apps such as (examples) and wearable technology (Fitbit, another example).

1.) Have you used any kind of fitness apps or wearable technology? 

2.) What app(s)/wearable tech have you used?

3.) How long did you use the app(s)/wearable tech for?

4.) What benefits did you feel you got from using these app(s)/wearable tech?

5.) Were you aware of any negative side effects as a result of using the apps/wearable tech? 

I appreciate your primary interest within these questions might only be questions 4 and 5, but what 1, 2 and 3 do is build up the person answering to these questions and provide you with some extra data that helps quantify the open responses to the later questions - it would stand to reason you'd give more weight to answer where you can see the person answering has more experience of the subject.

Now I must apologise, because I've ended up writing an essay and it feels a little unfair I've so pubically ripped your questionnaire to shreds - but I have tried to be as constructive and hope you can see that.

Oh - and I did try answering the questions, think it'll be obvious which set was mine when you look at the responses.  

Sorry again.

Archived