Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thracian

Mystery men

Nice of City to invite us all down to Belvoir Drive for the Academy match. In fact both the reserves and the academy teams seemed to be in action.

I say seemed cos there wasn't so much as a team list available for either match that I could see. Indeed any stranger wouldn't have had a clue which team he was watching - except that the Academy side did LOOK younger.

Pity that, cos there was a fairly sizeable turnout on a coldish and windy morning and there was nothing more frustrating than not knowing who the hell you were looking at..

A simple photocopied teamsheet appropriate to the shirt numbers everyone's wearing would have been sufficient - no-one was asking for a glossy programme.

Certainly I wasn't the only one standing their in ignorance cos I got talking to two or three folk and whenever I inquired who was wearing number four or number six I was greeted with variations of "Sorry, I'm not sure".

It's just the same as far as I can see for the Reserves matches at Hinckley. You can buy food, a cool pint, coffee and other hot drinks but a teamsheet? Well I've never seen one and what does it take... a few minutes on a computer and a few more minutes on a photocopier. No problem.

Professionalism. Cross the t's and dot the i's. People will start identifying with the players and it will gradually give most of the players an identity.

Hi Thracian,

didn't know you were there. I was there too. It was indeed rather chilly!

I had the same problem as you: I can only recognise some of the players from their running style/faces, but certainly not all of them!

If I remember well, there was an academy squad list on the OS (with shirt numbers), but I cannot even find that anymore! If it is too much of a pain to print a teamsheet, they could at least put it up on the website... so that we can print it out ourselves.

Yes why don't they stick up a team sheet, how hard can that be?

A few photo's unfortunately my battery was flat :doh: - good photos if you can recognise players by numbers or the back of their heads :)

PA080018.jpg

PA080019r.jpg

PA080020.jpg

PA080021R.jpg

I'm sure they used to do team lists at academy games. If you go into the reception area there was a small room with a TV and someone making tea for people and the squad lists were in there. When you think about it, scouts must come to watch academy games too and I'm sure they are supplied with a team sheet so I guess it all depends upon who you ask and being a bit nosy really. We got a team sheet from a reserve game by climbing under a railing and sitting in the 'corporate' area with the scouts and officials. lol

I'm sure they used to do team lists at academy games. If you go into the reception area there was a small room with a TV and someone making tea for people and the squad lists were in there. When you think about it, scouts must come to watch academy games too and I'm sure they are supplied with a team sheet so I guess it all depends upon who you ask and being a bit nosy really. We got a team sheet from a reserve game by climbing under a railing and sitting in the 'corporate' area with the scouts and officials. lol

You mean... they like to make things difficult?

Or... is it like a game of treasure hunt? :P

If numbers are assigned to academy players for the whole season, I am sure we can get hold of them and keep them on here (Foxestalk) for reference?

how old is he? seems asif he has been around for ages. would like to see him and chambers get their chances ahead of anyone else.

He's 18. I've seen him play a couple of times in reserve matches/friendlies and I'd agree that he's quick and has potential. I don't know if Levein fancies him though, he's in the same age group as people like Sheehan, Stearman and Weso and yet those three are the only ones Levein has singled out in interviews etc. That said, he's still here, so some of the staff must think he's got it.

You mean... they like to make things difficult?

Or... is it like a game of treasure hunt? :P

If numbers are assigned to academy players for the whole season, I am sure we can get hold of them and keep them on here (Foxestalk) for reference?

I don't think numbers are assigned to academy players for the whole season though. It wouldn't surprise me if they just give 9 and 10 shirts to the front two and so on to whoever is playing. If they were given squad numbers you'd start to see players wearing 20-something shirts and i don't think I've seen that happen before.

He's 18. I've seen him play a couple of times in reserve matches/friendlies and I'd agree that he's quick and has potential. I don't know if Levein fancies him though, he's in the same age group as people like Sheehan, Stearman and Weso and yet those three are the only ones Levein has singled out in interviews etc. That said, he's still here, so some of the staff must think he's got it.

I've watched him quite closely. He's a busy player, always involved and far better on the wing than anywhere else.

Scored for the Reserves against Watford with a wonderful curling left footer after being set up by Chambers. That was his best contribution to date that I've seen.

Against West Ham he played midfield and it didn't suit him although to his credit (and in difficult conditions) he never tried to hide. He was seen to have a bad un whereas many others would have disappeared to the fringes and not got involved.

Not sure he has the raw pace to be a really effective winger but he quite often makes something happen and seems a bubbly character.

To date I wouldn't rate him as first team material, more as simply a good experienced player with a good attitude who you'd be glad to have around.

Chambers has something else. There's always a little buzz when he's on the ball. Dodds is also highly rated too but I've not seen him enough to form a fair opinion.

Yes why don't they stick up a team sheet, how hard can that be?

A few photo's unfortunately my battery was flat :doh: - good photos if you can recognise players by numbers or the back of their heads :)

Good pics, perhaps a bit big though :)

I had my camera with me, but forgot to take pics... oh dear!

You are right: CL doesn't seem to ever mention him. Still, Levi was spotted training with the first team during pre-season. (The same can be said for Sheehan, Smedley, Weso and - I believe - Dodds. Stearman too, but that goes without saying :) )

You are right: CL doesn't seem to ever mention him. Still, Levi was spotted training with the first team during pre-season. (The same can be said for Sheehan, Smedley, Weso and - I believe - Dodds. Stearman too, but that goes without saying :) )

They always get the youth players to train with the first team.

not all of course but the ones that have been there there longest i guess! But you are there the most so i guess you know more... ;)

Well, it could be that (age of player or who has been there the longest). :)

What I wanted to say was that, whatever the reason, in many respects, the players I mentioned seemed to be treated more like first team players than academy ones.

From the OS. ;):thumbup:

Young Foxes Stung By Hornets

Leicester City's under 18 side went down 1-0 to Watford at the Belvoir Drive training ground on Saturday.

The Foxes went into the game having notched up five wins from their opening seven encounters of the campaign.

Watford fielded their strongest possible side for the contest - with a number of their players coming from the Hornets first team squad.

The visitors went ahead in the first period, but despite an improved performance from the Foxes in the second half they would be left with nothing to show for their efforts.

Speaking after the game, Academy director Jon Rudkin said: "Watford came with a game plan. They fielded their full allotment of overage players and some of them even had first team experience. We knew that they would be physical before the contest and we prepared for it accordingly.

"We decided to field no overage players and even had two schoolboys in our side. We knew it was always going to be difficult for the boys but they will have learnt a lot from the game."

City: Cisak, Muggleton, Mattocks, Wykes, Lycett, Norval, Gradel (Porter), King, McKay (Rochester), Chambers, Muggleton.

Archived