Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Craig

Kettering

We're set to become the chelsea of non league this week, getting a new ground and everything now that Gazza and his mates are buying the club... now apparently Gazza's trying to persuade his good mates Big Les, Alun Armstrong and Sinco to come and play for the club, while he takes over as player/manager this week :D

Not sure how reliable that is, but the bloke heading the takeover isn't denying it..

He is jsut there as coach atm but also putting money into the club. it would be good if he got the others you have mentioned to put money into the club and i think a lot of top ex pros should do that with non-league clubs. It will raise the profile of the non league game!

We're set to become the chelsea of non league this week, getting a new ground and everything now that Gazza and his mates are buying the club... now apparently Gazza's trying to persuade his good mates Big Les, Alun Armstrong and Sinco to come and play for the club, while he takes over as player/manager this week :D

Not sure how reliable that is, but the bloke heading the takeover isn't denying it..

I wouldn't get too far ahead of yourself.

Gazza's been in and out of more doors than a burglar in recent years and I'm not convinced that he'll achieve anything of consequence in the future.

He and Bestie seem like peas from the same pod. They are supported on a gravity-defying tidal wave of memories which refer to times long past but there is no logical reason why either should shine in any new direction.

They were wonderfully gifted footballers. Full stop. Not academics. When the body wanes the brain has to take over - or money helped by other people's brains. The minute you involve other people you've got baggage and that baggage will either weigh you down or cost increasing amounts for its portering.

Temperamental people like Gazza and Best will always have problems with "The Help" because they are basically seeking an ego boost (a return to the adulation of old) and they forget that "The Help" has ambition too and the need for self-satisfaction.

Sooner or later there's a clash. everything falls apart and the cycle starts again. They will always NEED help because usually, such people, have no skills in doing anything but playing their football. Look at the ex-footballers who try to be television pundits.

Boring, banal, repetitive, uninspiring. And each one denying a decent journalist a job (I wonder if they'd like journalists managing football teams?)

Only a precious few like Andy Gray in football, Richie Benaud in cricket excel in a new field. Why. Because they've got a lot of intelligence and they are prepared to WORK at learning entirely new skills.

Gazza's been in and out of more doors than a burglar in recent years and I'm not convinced that he'll achieve anything of consequence in the future.

He and Bestie seem like peas from the same pod. They are supported on a gravity-defying tidal wave of memories which refer to times long past but there is no logical reason why either should shine in any new direction.

They were wonderfully gifted footballers. Full stop. Not academics. When the body wanes the brain has to take over - or money helped by other people's brains. The minute you involve other people you've got baggage and that baggage will either weigh you down or cost increasing amounts for its portering.

Temperamental people like Gazza and Best will always have problems with "The Help" because they are basically seeking an ego boost (a return to the adulation of old) and they forget that "The Help" has ambition too and the need for self-satisfaction.

Sooner or later there's a clash. everything falls apart and the cycle starts again. They will always NEED help because usually, such people, have no skills in doing anything but playing their football. Look at the ex-footballers who try to be television pundits.

Boring, banal, repetitive, uninspiring. And each one denying a decent journalist a job (I wonder if they'd like journalists managing football teams?)

Only a precious few like Andy Gray in football, Richie Benaud in cricket excel in a new field. Why. Because they've got a lot of intelligence and they are prepared to WORK at learning entirely new skills.

Gazza's actually put money into the club though and has openly stated that he wants to help make this club big, i believe the guy..

Should be a lot there tonight, hopefully i'll be going to watch us smash st albans in the Fa Cup :D

Gazza's actually put money into the club though and has openly stated that he wants to help make this club big, i believe the guy..

Should be a lot there tonight, hopefully i'll be going to watch us smash st albans in the Fa Cup :D

Don't know quite what he means by "big" but my feeling is that Kettering doesn't have the population in its catchment area to ever be "big".

Griggsy put a lot of money into Rushden and Diamonds with commendable success overall but even that input only took the club so far - even with his building of a wonderful ground and facilities.

Nearby Northampton have a new ground too but they've not captured the imagination in any dramatic sense so, with these two competing on your doorstep you shouldn't underestimate the task being taken on.

Nevertheless I HOPE Gazza does the business for you. My oldest son lives in Earls Barton and plays golf not far from Kettering at the Wellingborough club in Little Houghton. So a morning "18" followed by a visit to Kettering with the grandkids after lunch wouldn't go amiss on the odd occasionl.

Good luck against St Albans. :):)

Don't know quite what he means by "big" but my feeling is that Kettering doesn't have the population in its catchment area to ever be "big".

Griggsy put a lot of money into Rushden and Diamonds with commendable success overall but even that input only took the club so far - even with his building of a wonderful ground and facilities.

Nearby Northampton have a new ground too but they've not captured the imagination in any dramatic sense so, with these two competing on your doorstep you shouldn't underestimate the task being taken on.

Nevertheless I HOPE Gazza does the business for you. My oldest son lives in Earls Barton and plays golf not far from Kettering at the Wellingborough club in Little Houghton. So a morning "18" followed by a visit to Kettering with the grandkids after lunch wouldn't go amiss on the odd occasionl.

Good luck against St Albans. :):)

By big, i mean football league, that's be big for us ;)

By big, i mean football league, that's be big for us ;)

Well, I think that's possible providing there's enough commitment and enough staying power. I'd love to see it happen and shall look out for your results. I played a lot of squash right next door to the ground, often, funnily enough against a Leicestershire professional named Russell Baker who was based there, so the place does have a certain draw. You wouldn't know Russ or what became of him, would you. Last I heard he moved to Daventry.

Not yet, they're still trying to tie up the deal... Gazza's only a small (but large) part of the consortium, but it seems to be working wonders for publicity here. Expecting a huge crowd today (By conference north standards anyway).

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah all the best to an absolute legend in Gazza but in all honesty i can't see him lasting there long, something is bound to go wrong it's Gazza!

P.S Craig who do you support, Leicester or Kettering?

Yeah all the best to an absolute legend in Gazza but in all honesty i can't see him lasting there long, something is bound to go wrong it's Gazza!

P.S Craig who do you support, Leicester or Kettering?

:blink::blink: No need to even answer that :blink::blink:

Obviously i support Leicester, but i was brought up in kettering so i obviously like them a bit aswell cos i've grown up here, my heart's 100% in Leicester though :)

and Gary Lineker :D

Archived