Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
murphy

The Second Most Talented City player?

2 hours ago, murphy said:

My first match was WBA in 1978 aged 5, an evening game, 0-1 (Cyrille Regis RIP).  44 since you ask.  

As I said in the original post, I didn't get to see the 70s sides, Worthington, Weller etc but it does seem that it is virtually unanimous consensus among FT-ers that Mahrez is the most naturally gifted judging by the posts we read time and time again even among the old timers.  Of course that is not the same as being the best or most effective player, that would be a different argument.  Just most gifted.

You can disagree of course, but surely you would agree that that would put you in a tiny minority on the forum.  I could have called the thread 'who is the most gifted...' but that would just be a constant stream of people saying Mahrez, hence 'second most...'

I would agree that I'm in  a minority. I meant no offence by asking your age I just wanted to check as I'm sure that everyone who has only watched for a decade or so would think Mahrez is (even though some seemed to think that Cambiasso was the greatest they'd ever seen a couple of years ago). Personally I think I've seen a handful who rival or better Mahrez offensive talent and I've seen many if we talk about defensive talent. Shilton and Banks must be 2 of our most talented ever - I'd say more than Mahrez but I realise they are before many people's time. I also think that we tend to overestimate the present (both in negative and positive ways).

3 hours ago, FIF said:

So how old are you?

Some of us older fans on here may not agree with that sentiment but I can understand if people have only been watching Leicester for a decade.

42 minutes ago, FIF said:

I would agree that I'm in  a minority. I meant no offence by asking your age I just wanted to check as I'm sure that everyone who has only watched for a decade or so would think Mahrez is (even though some seemed to think that Cambiasso was the greatest they'd ever seen a couple of years ago). Personally I think I've seen a handful who rival or better Mahrez offensive talent and I've seen many if we talk about defensive talent. Shilton and Banks must be 2 of our most talented ever - I'd say more than Mahrez but I realise they are before many people's time. I also think that we tend to overestimate the present (both in negative and positive ways).

I'm 57 and I've been going/paying since 1976.

I've never seen anyone with the outrageous skills of Mahrez play for us.

I've seen players who had more of an impact through their time with us but nobody matches Mahrez for the wow factor imo.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Ecdysiast said:

Fine stand in goalkeeper, great crosser, decent goal record, hilarious tache.... that's 4 stars

Love it that he was a stand in goal keeper!