Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
murphy

The Second Most Talented City player?

On loan but Laurie Cunningham, the footballing equivalent of a Harlem Globetrotter, the nearest to Brazilian skills we saw until Juninho arrived in the league, sublime skill even though his pace was waning. 

Only seen him on TV but Weller looked very special.

Gary Mac, class personified, our Hoddle. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, foxfanazer said:

Can remember thinking this is the most outrageous thing I’ve seen from a Leicester player at the time

Those 2 goals were magical. I was at that game and couldn't believe how good Knockaert was. Shame he played the same position as Mahrez. If he could have played on the opposite wing he may still have been here. His lack of pace was his biggest downfall. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, murphy said:

I think that we are pretty much all agreed that Mahrez is the most naturally talented player to have worn the shirt.

I don't think that we are a club that has been over-burdened with flair players, we have had great workhorses like Walsh and Lennon, deadly strikers like Vardy and Lineker but who would run Mahrez closest as most naturally gifted?

I never saw the seventies sides so I think I'll have to go for Heskey.  Miles below Riyad of course but before Liverpool got hold of him and turned him into a big lump centre forward foil for Michael Owen he was pretty electric at times for us and could terrorise defenders.

Firstly I like Mahrez, and he can drop, crop, hold and receive a b all better than most....today..

In Leicester colours alone, only to pick out a few Lets say the better ones.., receive drop move and pass on the run...

J.Goodfellow, Rowley, Chalmers, the young Mcklintock, J.Sinclair, Stringfellow ,....Then for me the special ones..Gibson ,Weller Worthington

Glover, and that guy who could create a bit of magic, 99% drop a ball dead, glide like weller over the turf, then fall on his face

Rodney Fern.One second Gerson of Brazil, within the same sublime moment...Marty feldmann!!

Other teams had their players, where natural talent was the norm...Johnny Haynes, W.Morgan,...

Plus, plus, plus.

Good TEKKIES, were the normal run of things, into the late 60s,70s, coaches learnt how to

Cut out their space, block their get out moves...Brazil were no longer unplayable,

The Hazards , Mahrez's, Robbens of yesteryear, Like now were starved out,Oh yes they will have

their real special moments, still free agents, but containable..Thsts why the younger fans,

either go OTT on expectation, or have  underrated how teams or defending players, counter their movements.

Mahrez is a class player, Hazaard is a classy player, they can turn a game, but respect the guys Who put

Dampeners on their flowing movements, dont Hack  them off, when their endeavours fall on Stoney ground,

because, we like in the old days, follow them and held them in awe, for those few moments when it just knits

together and looks majestic...

They cant be brilliant   everytime when the ball is in their possesion, not every   15minutes, not every game.

Sometimes we are so desperate, we miss those little moments, that are produced in every game , but

Fade away...then moan, they are not having a good game....

If 3 great runs, gets us 3 goals, why then are 3 great runs considered  poor form, when they end up not being converted.

I seen us lose 2-3 at home to Spurs,Weller was magic , pulling them all over the place, Some great runs but we lost.

According to some, on Monday  morning , Weller was poor....because others coulnt convert or translate advantages

he or Glover openned up.

We call it the beautifull game, not because its about what fly into the net, but those

Moves and moments that happen before, or in front of those nets..  Sometimes we expect too much.

5 hours ago, Hammo said:

Worthington in second place without a doubt - though in the same team the Birch also possessed loads of natural flair.

Birch was crap we bought him as a striker but he couldn't score so Bloomfield moved him back into midfield,

where he couldn't tackle or pass.

One goal that he has dined out on ever since.

Keith Weller for me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, foxfanazer said:

Matty Piper could’ve been special but for injuries imo

His last season with us I remember him ripping man u apart on the wing, so they put two men on him so he ripped the both apart. Admittedly if I remember rightly it was djemba djemba and Quentin fortune, but still, they left the field looking like he'd swapped their feet and legs around. 

Mahrez is unreal at times but I think you have to say Mancini is the most talented player ever to wear the shirt, even if it was only for four games. Collymore was pretty special too, head and shoulders above Heskey in terms of natural ability, but Heskey did much more with his, to his credit. 

In terms of players that have played a full season or more that I've seen, Cambiasso and Izzet.

One player who's worth a mention is Gary Parker. One of the best ball players I've seen at Leicester, certainly the best set piece taker I've seen. If his career had taken a different path he'd have played for England. 

18 hours ago, murphy said:

I think that we are pretty much all agreed that Mahrez is the most naturally talented player to have worn the shirt.

So how old are you?

Some of us older fans on here may not agree with that sentiment but I can understand if people have only been watching Leicester for a decade.

15 minutes ago, FIF said:

So how old are you?

Some of us older fans on here may not agree with that sentiment but I can understand if people have only been watching Leicester for a decade.

My first match was WBA in 1978 aged 5, an evening game, 0-1 (Cyrille Regis RIP).  44 since you ask.  

As I said in the original post, I didn't get to see the 70s sides, Worthington, Weller etc but it does seem that it is virtually unanimous consensus among FT-ers that Mahrez is the most naturally gifted judging by the posts we read time and time again even among the old timers.  Of course that is not the same as being the best or most effective player, that would be a different argument.  Just most gifted.

You can disagree of course, but surely you would agree that that would put you in a tiny minority on the forum.  I could have called the thread 'who is the most gifted...' but that would just be a constant stream of people saying Mahrez, hence 'second most...'

Edited by murphy

5 hours ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

To be fair Huth was aiming for the International Space Station, so it was a pretty accurate shot

To be really fair he's obviously put off by Drinky also trying to take the free kick. They've come out of what is a ten second discussion with neither of them knowing who's going to take it.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, turtmcfly said:

To be really fair he's obviously put off by Drinky also trying to take the free kick. They've come out of what is a ten second discussion with neither of them knowing who's going to take it.

Clearly it was a language problem, Drinky's English isn't very good.....

• Haha 2