Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lineker's Left Foot

LEVEIN NEEDS LONGER...

Yet again, our cynical fans are calling for the manager's head. :devil:

Levein has always said that this year we aren't going to be challenging for promotion. What this club needs is stability and the time to make Levein build up his own team. Ok, results aren't going for us but neither do I feel we will be relegated !!

If we want to repeat the O'Neill years - which I honestly feel we can with this manager - then sacking him is not the answer. We need to persevere a bit longer. If after another year it ain't changed, then yes bring out the guilotine !!

Up the City :devil::devil:

Levein has always said that this year we aren't going to be challenging for promotion. What this club needs is stability and the time to make Levein build up his own team. Ok, results aren't going for us but neither do I feel we will be relegated !!

If we want to repeat the O'Neill years - which I honestly feel we can with this manager - then sacking him is not the answer. We need to persevere a bit longer. If after another year it ain't changed, then yes bring out the guilotine !!

Yay! Well done. I totally agree!

It's Levein's team, his players, his system, he has authority, the buck stops with him.

Wake up. We are cr ap.

How fu cking long do they need to gel?

How difficult is it to learn that players play best in their own positions?

Levein does not learn. He is not intelligent. Wearing glasses and being dour and stubborn does not make you intelligent, it makes you a second rate manager.

Better than Micky? Probably.

Good enough? No.

It's Levein's team, his players, his system, he has authority, the buck stops with him.

Wake up. We are cr ap.

Levein does not learn. He is not intelligent. Wearing glasses and being dour and stubborn does not make you intelligent, it makes you a second rate manager.

Good enough? No.

Agreed, and put a rocket up their effing jacksies if they arent doing the business!!

:mad:

As I think Thracian said in an earlier thread, or words to this effect:

If Levein is telling the players to play this way (defensively, no bite, no penetration) then he needs to sort it out. If the players are doing it, ignoring his instructions, again he needs to sort it out. And perhaps fine those players.

Either way, he's gotta do something.

Wake up. We are cr ap.

Good enough? No.

Longer than 14 games!

Any indication of how long?

Would be quite nice to see some progress wouldn't it?

14 games, with training between and some of the players at least here last season too, is actually a fairly substantial amount of time together.

We have seen progress! The team is very young. They need to grow up together as a team. What's the point in getting rid of Levein? What will another manager do?

Levein is a good manager, he just requires more time. Look at the sorry state micky left the team as when he resigned. It has taken a year to get a younger squad in, now he needs to strengthen the squad in january and in june.

We cant just sack a manager just because we arnt in promotion form.

the board will not sack levein for atleast another 2 years yet as they know very well what he is trying to do, they didnt even want to sack Adams because they knew it would be costly for the club to get in a new manager.

Levein wont be sacked, but he could resign. i myself hope he wont as we must rebuild, instead of getting a new manager every time we have a few bad results

Levein is a good manager, he just requires more time. Look at the sorry state micky left the team as when he resigned. It has taken a year to get a younger squad in, now he needs to strengthen the squad in january and in june.

We cant just sack a manager just because we arnt in promotion form.

the board will not sack levein for atleast another 2 years yet as they know very well what he is trying to do, they didnt even want to sack Adams because they knew it would be costly for the club to get in a new manager.

Levein wont be sacked, but he could resign. i myself hope he wont as we must rebuild, instead of getting a new manager every time we have a few bad results

That is exactly the way i, and most, fans think. A few things you said there were spot on. I've highlighted them.

He's changed the whole team. For him to do that and for us to be doing just as we were before is brilliant!

I think we should give him until Christmas 2006. He is doing the long term thing and so we need to give him the long term.

If we got rid of Levein. Why would that be a good thing? No, we wouldn't just start winning all the time.

Some managers do turn it round. Many many don't.

Have any of you ever considered that CL might be in the majority that DON'T turn it round?

He'd actually make a decent enough DoF or something, but he's not a good coach. Tactically and motivationally he just doesn't have it in him.

Have any of you ever considered that CL might be in the majority that DON'T turn it round?

He'd actually make a decent enough DoF or something, but he's not a good coach. Tactically and motivationally he just doesn't have it in him.

He's already started turning it round

i thought are target was to gain promotion :ph34r:

If many managers don't turn clubs around then what are the chances that a new manager will turn it around if we get rid of Levein? Are we just going to keep swapping managers until we find that one manager that does turn it around? Nope, we've got to stick with him and hope he is one of those managers that does manage to turn us around.

I must say that after the Burnley game I started to doubt CL a bit because we looked no better than we did against Brighton but between those two games there was some improvement by all accounts against Derby and Watford. CL hasn't said, "talk to me about top 2 not top 6", he's said, "I want to see an improvement on last season". I much prefer the side we have now to what we had last season. We need to be patient.

If many managers don't turn clubs around then what are the chances that a new manager will turn it around if we get rid of Levein? Are we just going to keep swapping managers until we find that one manager that does turn it around? Nope, we've got to stick with him and hope he is one of those managers that does manage to turn us around.

I must say that after the Burnley game I started to doubt CL a bit because we looked no better than we did against Brighton but between those two games there was some improvement by all accounts against Derby and Watford. CL hasn't said, "talk to me about top 2 not top 6", he's said, "I want to see an improvement on last season". I much prefer the side we have now to what we had last season. We need to be patient.

Agree. It was Micky that said forget top 6 we will be top 2. Craig said he wanted improvement on last season.

Martin O'Neill would not have stuck with the slow clumsy lump that is Mark Deep Freeze this long. It was a clueless inept performance last night, from a man who needs to stop looking at videos in the hope of finding a solution to the problem and recognise that he is part of the disease.

I generally like the players he has brought in, but tactically we are poor. We create nothing but speculative efforts, because instead of attempting to break and use our pace to our advantage (in Hume and Hammond) we go forward as a great incoherant lump! His prized possession up front is clumsy, slow and can't head a ball to save his life. Anyone who thinks Deep freeze is a good player, who will sustain any kind of scoring form is in serious need of a white stick and a labrador. The midfield is lightweight and was overrun last night and most nights. And in response to this problem last night we changed the left back :blink: . To add insult to injury the only player who looked remotely 'up for it' was a 36 year old Dion Dublin. If he cannot motivate his team to play for a full 90 minutes there is something seriously wrong. And as for pre season comments about not having a captain who is a leader but building a team full of leaders with mental strength...thats a good one, there was no strength whatsoever on display! We are lightweights in this division and will get punished easily as a result.

I like Levein, I am not a boo boy, but we should play better than that. When are we going to play home matches like we are the home team? Its just an easy ride every time, and most likely it will be on Sunday. Coventry have a lot of ex-city players, and we all know, as evidenced by last night, that when ex players return to their old club they raise their game! Will we raise ours? Because if we cannot I will have serious reservations about Levein's ability to manage and most importantly motivate a team!

I am an advocate of giving managers time to do their thing, but I see no improvements, and I like a lot of folk am getting bored with tired excuses. I am content to give time, but I am not content to be relegated in doing so. With roughly the 5th best budget this is unacceptable!

My rant is through, I thought I would have gotten over it by now (which is why I haven't posted yet) but this one really hurts for some reason!

Martin O'Neill would not have stuck with the slow clumsy lump that is Mark Deep Freeze this long. It was a clueless inept performance last night, from a man who needs to stop looking at videos in the hope of finding a solution to the problem and recognise that he is part of the disease.

I generally like the players he has brought in, but tactically we are poor. We create nothing but speculative efforts, because instead of attempting to break and use our pace to our advantage (in Hume and Hammond) we go forward as a great incoherant lump! His prized possession up front is clumsy, slow and can't head a ball to save his life. Anyone who thinks Deep freeze is a good player, who will sustain any kind of scoring form is in serious need of a white stick and a labrador. The midfield is lightweight and was overrun last night and most nights. And in response to this problem last night we changed the left back :blink: . To add insult to injury the only player who looked remotely 'up for it' was a 36 year old Dion Dublin. If he cannot motivate his team to play for a full 90 minutes there is something seriously wrong. And as for pre season comments about not having a captain who is a leader but building a team full of leaders with mental strength...thats a good one, there was no strength whatsoever on display! We are lightweights in this division and will get punished easily as a result.

I like Levein, I am not a boo boy, but we should play better than that. When are we going to play home matches like we are the home team? Its just an easy ride every time, and most likely it will be on Sunday. Coventry have a lot of ex-city players, and we all know, as evidenced by last night, that when ex players return to their old club they raise their game! Will we raise ours? Because if we cannot I will have serious reservations about Levein's ability to manage and most importantly motivate a team!

I am an advocate of giving managers time to do their thing, but I see no improvements, and I like a lot of folk am getting bored with tired excuses. I am content to give time, but I am not content to be relegated in doing so. With roughly the 5th best budget this is unacceptable!

My rant is through, I thought I would have gotten over it by now (which is why I haven't posted yet) but this one really hurts for some reason!

Some good points and some real pain in there. I had exactly the same feeling. Came home shell-shocked. Got up this morning. And the nightmare of the day before just seemed to get worse.

Watching City was like watching a cornfield in America - it just went on and on being boring. What a bland, souless, expressionless excuse for football.

I just can't imagine how Craig talks to the players but I did suggest two months ago that he should invest in a motivator. That is not a criticism. Some people are just not natural communicators.

What's wanted is not just a guy for the dressing room but a guy who is privy to what CL wants by way of improvement from people and who then takes quiet moments on the training pitch and during warm-ups to make sure the players continue to concentrate on those improvements.

He would also take responsibity for players general frame of mind, their level of confidence etc and arrange for additional training exercises if necessary to iron out specific shortcomings.

Peter Shilton I recall was forever looking to do extra work on his game.

He'd collar a couple of youngsters and have them shoot at him in this way, in that way, just to iron out some flaw or another. The motivator would help to keep the players mind focused.

The psychology of football should not be underestimated. We had almost a whole team yesterday that was underperforming and not for the first time. Sometimes there are trainers/coaches around who can do this but it doesn't seem to be the case at City. Players need confidence, self-belief, bulling up, re-convincing. Day in day out.

Especially young players and players in teams that are getting beaten.

Furthermore confidence is ALWAYS affected when players get dropped - especially when they think they had been playing well.

What will Sheehan do when he returns having been dropped on the back of a 2-0 win? Try too hard because somehow what he did last time was not good enough?. I hope not but it is something that a motivator would be aware of.

And what about Joey - one of our best players this season, how will he be feeling? Dropping people is a serious issue and Levein should be aware of that and sensitive to how he handles it.

There are others who've suffered similarly and if you're not careful it eats away at morale. Mend the morale and you often mend the team.

I just can't imagine how Craig talks to the players but I did suggest two months ago that he should invest in a motivator. That is not a criticism. Some people are just not natural communicators.

Not a bad idea. I think it is actually needed, perhaps CL doesn't realise it though. Perhaps he's just too stubborn to accept it.

I think CL would make a good Director of Football, with someone beneath him taking care of the motivational, coaching and tactical side of things??

Archived