Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
boots60

Fairytale of New York

On the radio the other day I couldnt help but noticee that the lyrics "You cheap lousy faggot" have been changed to "You're cheap and you're haggard"

Unbelievable. An inoffensive albeit sad Christmas tale fecked about with.

How long before they change the title as surely "Fairy" is now totally unacceptable in our brave new world.

Merry Christmas.

Edited by boots60

One of my absolute pet hates, censorship of words for the sake of it. Everybody knows it’s there, and those that don’t are almost certainly going to find out what the original words were anyway. Utterly pointless.

Broadcasters do this too with films & TV show repeats. Even after the watershed.

The best ever example of pointless censorship was when I was living in South Africa. I was watching DSTV (their version of Sky) and the back end of Children of Men came on. DSTV’s censorship is far superior to the UK’s in that it has a special button on the TV remote that essentially switches the audio to a ‘parental guidance’ audio track, allowing individuals to choose for themselves. Watching Children of Men in a hotel room meant that this was turned on by default, and words such as willy puller, piss, twat, shit and even God were edited out. After the film ended, I decided to watch the end of the credits as I knew exactly the song that was played over it.

A chorus that goes “Cvnts are still running the world”.

Many times throughout the song.

And guess what, they didn’t censor one bit of it. Rendering all the other bleeping out completely pointless. At 3 o’clock in the afternoon.

We’re far too prudish as a society and shouldn’t have to self censor to protect people’s feelings.

On 15/12/2018 at 18:01, boots60 said:

On the radio the other day I couldnt help but noticee that the lyrics "You cheap lousy faggot" have been changed to "You're cheap and you're haggard"

How long before they change the title as surely "Fairy" is now totally unacceptable in our brave new world.

Merry Christmas.

Welcome to 2018

• 3 weeks later...
On 15/12/2018 at 18:01, boots60 said:

Merry Christmas.

Delayed reaction.....

Absolutely stupid that people keep having issues with these lyrics or meddling with them.

The song is about a drunken old couple on their last legs. The words are put in the mouth of the old woman. They're words spoken by a fictional character - realistic, appropriate words. Whereas "you're cheap and you're haggard" are not! 

Should Shakespeare's "Othello" be censored because it depicts racist attitudes? :blink:

Incidentally, the Pogues guitarist, the late great Phil Chevron was gay....