Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Gené and Tonic

Abramovich aims for 100-year rule

From BBC Sport

Abramovich aims for 100-year rule

Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich wants to build a legacy at the Premiership champions that will last 100 years.

The Russian billionaire writes in the foreword to a new book on Chelsea of his strategy to "build the most successful football club in the world".

"Everything we have done so far is geared to this," Abramovich says.

"I hope to carry this forward in the true blue tradition of Chelsea but also build even stronger foundations to last us the next 100 years."

Abramovich has already funded a spending spree of around £240m on players since his £140m takeover at Stamford Bridge in the summer of 2003, producing a first title in 50 years last season.

"When I became involved in Chelsea, I had little idea how much joy and excitement it would bring me," he adds.

"I can think of no more fitting tribute to our centenary season than to enter it as the Premiership champions. That is like a dream come true.

"It was 50 years since our previous title and everybody's working hard to ensure we will not have to wait that long again.

"In future we hope to bring even more joy than you (Chelsea fans) have experienced over the last 100 years.

"In order to do this many challanges lie ahead. We want to retain the Premiership title and, of course, challenge again in Europe.

"Maybe this year we can go one stage better and go to the Champions League final."

Awww crap :(

Personally, I don't feel it will happen !!!

Chelsea aren't a big enough club and I'm sure that the Manchester United's etc of this world will also get their large backers (whether Glazer can be counted as an Abramovich mark 2 remains to be seen) !!!

I think rules will also be made as well re to wage capping !!

People will lose interest in football if that Russian wa*ker can keep doing what he's doing at Chelski !!

Plus, my potential father-in-law and girlfriend are mad Chelski fans so let's hope not hey !!

:mad:

Dunno if Abramovich is loaning them the money !!!

He isn't going to leave, or I wouldn't have thought so, because who puts their own money into a business then 'ups sticks and leaves?'

Read the Daily Mirror (Sat page71) about the current state of English football. The writer, Brian Reade, says that Chelsea will dominate for a while, but not for ever - it can't happen !!!

Archived