Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fez of Mahrez

Anyone for Smith up front against Plymouth?

Given our goalscoring problems I think this could well be worth a go. Not sure how fit de Vries and Dublin are but I'd rest both. Given we've kept two clean sheets with Gerrbrand and McCarthy in the side within the last week, it seems assured that Dion will not be called back into action at centre-back for the time being. de Vries has obviously been the goalscorer lately but following a poor performance at Preston, maybe it's time to give him a rest. Hammond has proved he's not a goalscorer and although he will probably get the nod, I think it'd be better to put Smith up front with Hume. We'd miss the strength and height of a de Vries or Dublin but I think the mobility would more than make up for that. Keep it on the deck at a fast tempo and we wouldn't need to hold the ball up as much anyway (which de Vries isn't even that good at most of the time).

The other key to it working would be playing Williams. And Williams playing well. Breaking from midfield to make late runs into the box would be essential because both Smith and Hume will have the natural tendency to drift wide.

There's a time and a place for defensive football but this isn't it. Plymouth are in the bottom three, we have an incredible young talent at our disposal and we need to use him before it's too late. There's a danger that he won't get the ball enough stuck out on the left wing, as seemed to happen yesterday for the first ten or fifteen minutes he was on.

Look at Ashley Young playing up front for Watford. He's the key to their whole attacking game, creating all three goals for them yesterday. Even when they were pretty dreadful against us, he still managed to score a goal out of nothing and should have had at least one more. Smith can play this role for us. The last thing I want to see is him play out of his skin, put ten opportunities on a plate for Hammond and for him to miss them all. Play him further forward and more central where we can give him the ball between the opposition defence and midfield and he can run at them. With Hume playing off the shoulder of the last defender they'll have an incredible amount of pace and movement to deal with.

Tell me you see it, Craig.

Given our goalscoring problems I think this could well be worth a go. Not sure how fit de Vries and Dublin are but I'd rest both. Given we've kept two clean sheets with Gerrbrand and McCarthy in the side within the last week, it seems assured that Dion will not be called back into action at centre-back for the time being. de Vries has obviously been the goalscorer lately but following a poor performance at Preston, maybe it's time to give him a rest. Hammond has proved he's not a goalscorer and although he will probably get the nod, I think it'd be better to put Smith up front with Hume. We'd miss the strength and height of a de Vries or Dublin but I think the mobility would more than make up for that. Keep it on the deck at a fast tempo and we wouldn't need to hold the ball up as much anyway (which de Vries isn't even that good at most of the time).

The other key to it working would be playing Williams. And Williams playing well. Breaking from midfield to make late runs into the box would be essential because both Smith and Hume will have the natural tendency to drift wide.

There's a time and a place for defensive football but this isn't it. Plymouth are in the bottom three, we have an incredible young talent at our disposal and we need to use him before it's too late. There's a danger that he won't get the ball enough stuck out on the left wing, as seemed to happen yesterday for the first ten or fifteen minutes he was on.

Look at Ashley Young playing up front for Watford. He's the key to their whole attacking game, creating all three goals for them yesterday. Even when they were pretty dreadful against us, he still managed to score a goal out of nothing and should have had at least one more. Smith can play this role for us. The last thing I want to see is him play out of his skin, put ten opportunities on a plate for Hammond and for him to miss them all. Play him further forward and more central where we can give him the ball between the opposition defence and midfield and he can run at them. With Hume playing off the shoulder of the last defender they'll have an incredible amount of pace and movement to deal with.

Tell me you see it, Craig.

So how would you actually line up?

There are a few positions within the team where I couldn't choose. Douglas or Henderson. Stearman or Maybury. Kisnorbo or Gudjonsson. Tiatto or Hamill. I suppose I don't think it's that important. They're all much of a muchness. I just think it's important that Smith starts, that he plays more centrally and we get him as involved as we can. Everyone is crying out for a spark up front and I think it's him.

We may as well play our young guns if we think theyre special.Smith will be here to season end or may be gone by january. And no real point in keeping the others 'on ice' coz we aint going up next season and finances will be even tighter to keep them here. We got them,we play them. I'm sure that they have that ingredient missing form our Club most of this season and only seen in some games of late---absolute hunger and drive to win(PS.Ever seen our team get in a huddle before a game a remind each other to play for each other and go in to win?? I ain't.)

Wouldn't worry too much about the huddle. Last team I saw do that was Watford and then they went out to their respective positions and played shite for 90 minutes.

It may show a full commitment to play as best as you can from kickoff, and not just for a second half or even the last 5 minutes when your desperate to score against an absolute shite team. As for you referring to Watford,well it probably worked for them and that was the best they can play. I really dont give a rats a#se about them.

This would be good given what you've said:

--------------------Douglas--------------------

Stearman--McCarthy-Gerrbrand--Sheehan

Hammond--Williams-Gudjonsson--Hammil

--------------Hume----Smith-----------------

Pace, trickery, ability to score goals. I love that side, but sadly, I think for the Plymouth game coming up this will more likely be the line-up:

Maybury--McCarthy-Gerrbrand--Johansson

Sylla-------Kisnorbo-Gudjonsson------Smith

--------------Hume----Hammond-----------------

Shame really, Levein could really go for the throat of the Plymouth side with the first line-up.

Pace, trickery, ability to score goals. I love that side, but sadly, I think for the Plymouth game coming up this will more likely be the line-up:

Shame really, Levein could really go for the throat of the Plymouth side with the first line-up.

They may have ability, but I've yet to see too many goals coming from them ;)

Gudjonsson is suspended for Plymouth, Williams (or Hughes) will surely play.

Ok then, this would surely be the best side we could put out. Come to think about it, I do like the idea of Smith upfront, Levein should at least give it a go.

Hammond--Williams--Kisnorbo-----Hammil

Team I'd play against Playmouth:

Douglas;

Stearman, Gerrbrand, McCarthy, Sheehan;

Hughes (if fit) or Joey, Tiatto;

Hume,

Hammond, Chambers, Smith.

Although 4-3-3 it would be fluid enough to work 3-4-3 or 4-4-2 but would include our most skillful and fastest players while retaining enough bite, balance and defensive nouse to still keep the goals against down to one at most.

It would give us the chance to assess

a) If three front men produces more chances/cohesion etc

b) If Chambers is good enough yet to score at this level.

c) If the young full-backs have the energy to back up our fastest attack.

d) If Smith benefits from having other ball-playing footballers around him.

Although full of skill I don't think the side would lack spirit and have put Tiatto in there to emphasise that and to keep the left side strong and malleable.

Archived