Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Leicestershire bus fares to be cut to £2 per journey maximum for first three months of 2023

14 minutes ago, davieG said:

No you're correct that comment was re the whole system coverage. It just seems a bit odd though as I would assume the majority of people would be wanting to return so to benefit they now have to make 2 purchases. It might also be not helping younger people much. I'm sure they've looked at all the different options.

That's true (and two £2 singles might not always be cheaper than a return if making a return trip). I imagine that's due to the recent prevalence of tap-on, tap-off payments - most people do that on both legs of a journey and the system automatically adjusts the fare, rather than them buying a return from the driver at the outset. 

1 hour ago, kenny said:

They are getting really bad for not showing up and there is no way of reporting it to the council.

If drivers are the issue, then the sooner self driving public transport becomes the norm the better.

The Arriva app is rubbish, and the information screens in the Haymarket and St Margarets bus stations just show timetable arrival times, not the live times. Total pot luck as to whether the bus turns up or not these days. 

4 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

That's true (and two £2 singles might not always be cheaper than a return if making a return trip). I imagine that's due to the recent prevalence of tap-on, tap-off payments - most people do that on both legs of a journey and the system automatically adjusts the fare, rather than them buying a return from the driver at the outset. 

An advantage of being old as don't have to deal with all of that.

I have to look for advantages in the most obscure places lol

2 minutes ago, davieG said:

An advantage of being old as don't have to deal with all of that.

I have to look for advantages in the most obscure places lol

Absolutely. The Senior Railcard I acquired a few months ago is my proudest possession.....just a few more years to reach the glories of a free bus pass. :D

7 minutes ago, The Syrup said:

The Arriva app is rubbish, and the information screens in the Haymarket and St Margarets bus stations just show timetable arrival times, not the live times. Total pot luck as to whether the bus turns up or not these days. 

This isnt new.  (the app bit is..)  I was forced off the buses and into my car when buses where deregulated (privatised, traffic commissioner abolished etc etc) in erm.. the mid eighties.

It was one of Mrs T's big policies - private is best.  There hasnt been any attempt at integrating transport since (and precious little before).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alf Bentley said:

Plus, this applies to county, not just city. Last summer, I did the 102-mile Leicestershire Round walk (Bradgate Park-Swithland Reservoir-Burrough Hill-Rutland-Foxton Locks-Peatlings-Burbage-Market Bosworth-Bagworth-Bradgate Park).

For each stage, I got a bus from Leicester to a village and returned from a different village after walking a stage. A few villages had no bus service and most had an infrequent service. In a few places, I had to go via Syston or Market Harborough.

But I was amazed that there was sufficient of a service that I was able to do the whole thing via buses.

I did the Leicestershire round over 9 stages in 2021. Did the same as you and planned a route using the buses, I live in Melton though so often had to take 2 buses out to the start point and 2 back home. Living in Melton made the Rutland and eastern part of the walk slightly easier though.

Edited by The Syrup
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Raj said:

My daughter is 14 and goes into town now and again at the weekend during the day with her mates.

I nearly had a heart attack when she told me the price of a return ticket from Thurnby to city centre.

It was about £3.

I'm sure it was about 40p in my day!!!

4 hours ago, davieG said:

So wont help her then as these are only for single tickets. I wonder then how many people it will actually help.

Not many unless you're planning to never return to your home.

£3 return is obviously cheaper than the £2 each way offer.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Saxondale said:

It’s better than nothing. Will potentially help a lot of people who regular use buses to get to work etc.

It's a ONE WAY ticket, man. So unless your return fare is more than £4, it's not going to help many. IIRC there's a weekly ticket that works out at less than £2 per journey

• Like 1