Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Milky

21yr old Klasen wins the world darts title

what a sensational game. 7-5 to 21yr old qualifier klasen over the legend barneveld. great game.

His Missus is gonna propose to him now!!

This guy was 100-1 to win at the start of the tournament!!!

(like the pun in the subtitle BA5 :D )

His Missus is gonna propose to him now!!

This guy was 100-1 to win at the start of the tournament!!!

(like the pun in the subtitle BA5 :D )

yeh, i heard about the proposal thing, i was waiting for her to do it when they interviewed them both after the game, but it didn't happen. i'm glad he won, i really wanted him too, it's good to see a youngster picking up the trophy.

Yeah, that was imo the best final for quite a few years. I was quite glad Klaasen won it, for at least three reasons:

1. It's always good to see the emergence of bright new talents in any sport.

2. Klaasen looks much more like a serious sportsman then Barneveld does (okay, so darts may not be a "proper" sport in many people's eyes, but I think that part of the reason for that is that the world titles are all too often won by overweight blokes who tend to drink just a little bit too much).

3. I didn't want to see Barney equal Bristow's record of five wins. Mostly because Bristow was the best in the world when he achieved his victories. Now however, there are two world championships and the standard of competition in the other one is higher. I doubt that too many people would argue against Phil Taylor being the best player in the world at present (and for most of the past decade), and for this reason I would rather not see Bristow's record equalled by Barneveld.

I hope that one day there will be a single (unified) world darts championship again. I think the present predicament is a shame for both the sport and for the winners of the other world championship. It seems that many people don't take the other world championship as seriously, maybe at least in part due to the lack of terrestrial television coverage in this country. Phil Taylor could be almost as big a star in this country as Bristow was in the eighties if circumstances were different.

Hmmm, that turned into a bit of a rant. Nevermind.

I knew the boy was class but I tell you what, he really stepped it up a gear in the semi and again today in the final.

He showed a lot of character when he looked like cracking when he opened a leg with a 7 from 3 darts. Went on to win that leg if I remember correctly.

Well done to him, he played really well.

barneveld did miss shit loads of doubles. both players averaged 93 i think, so it wasn't exactly the quality, it was more about the fact that it went to 5-5. barneveld at his best would have won today, but fair play to klaasner, he took his opportunity.

Archived