Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
tshine

The long ball

Saw Levein at the Reserves match on Tuesday and hoped he would learn something from the tactics used there. They were clearly playing a better Arsenal team than them, but took the match to them, passed it on the floor, played good attractive passing football, and dominated most of the match.

Saw Levein at the Reserves match on Tuesday and hoped he would learn something from the tactics used there. They were clearly playing a better Arsenal team than them, but took the match to them, passed it on the floor, played good attractive passing football, and dominated most of the match.

Looks like craig should take a leaf out of their book then :rolleyes:

And lose 1-4.

No problem tshine. Just that some boneheads on here get all confused about the merits of playing the ball back to front quickly.

Playing the long ball to the front is a proven tactic if:

1) It's a quality pass that the receiving player can bring down, knock on or run onto effectively

2) The receiving player has the ability to do that mentioned in 1

3) It's not done time after time to the extent that it becomes wholly predictable

It was blatantly obvious today, after about 60 minutes, that the long ball to MDV wasn't working. Not to mention it's something that hasn't worked particularly well in league matches for the whole season. Why CL refuses to see this bemuses and angers me.

1) It's a quality pass that the receiving player can bring down, knock on or run onto effectively

3) It's not done time after time to the extent that it becomes wholly predictable

It was blatantly obvious today, after about 60 minutes, that the long ball to MDV wasn't working. Not to mention it's something that hasn't worked particularly well in league matches for the whole season. Why CL refuses to see this bemuses and angers me.

Not strictly true, Chimp. It's a proven tactic full stop. It can work as you have described but also works in it's most brutal form (Wimbledon). Don't forget the fact that both Reading and Sheffield Utd have managers who have favoured direct football all through their careers. And they ain't doing bad.

In all fairnes to mdv he was one of the best city players today, admittedly his shooting is very poor but he was holding the ball up well and it was his persistence that brought Matty Fryatt's goal and almost a second.

However our persistence with the long ball tactic seems to typify levein's lack of tactical ability. against wednesday it was obvious that sending the ball up to mdv to control and lay off was not working as wednesday had two defenders on him all game, yet this tactic was persisted with throughout the whole game and even when certain midfielders (*kisnorbo*) were in a good posittion to get a shot on target they would lob the ball over to mdv who couldn't even jump as he was sandwiched between two defenders.

Levein must realise this tactic isn't working especially when used ALL game and EVERY game. But maybe it is also up to the players to show more creativity.

Not strictly true, Chimp. It's a proven tactic full stop. It can work as you have described but also works in it's most brutal form (Wimbledon). Don't forget the fact that both Reading and Sheffield Utd have managers who have favoured direct football all through their careers. And they ain't doing bad.

It's works for some clubs in some situations. If it were the be all and end all of football tactics, as you seem to purport, then why do we see it seldom used in the upper echelons?

Either way, with the players we have, it's not working for us at this moment in time. Hence, time to think of something different wouldn't you say?

It's works for some clubs in some situations. If we're the be all and end all of football tactics as you seem to purport then why do we see it seldom used in the upper echelons?

Either way, with the players we have, it's not working for us at this moment in time. Hence, time to think of something different wouldn't you say?

Yep, i doubt it will happen though :( we have done it all season

In all fairnes to mdv he was one of the best city players today, admittedly his shooting is very poor but he was holding the ball up well and it was his persistence that brought Matty Fryatt's goal and almost a second.

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't criticising MDV, he did his job perfectly well today and had quite a good game. My problem with the long ball to MDV is summed up perfectly in your next two paragraphs....

However our persistence with the long ball tactic seems to typify levein's lack of tactical ability. against wednesday it was obvious that sending the ball up to mdv to control and lay off was not working as wednesday had two defenders on him all game, yet this tactic was persisted with throughout the whole game and even when certain midfielders (*kisnorbo*) were in a good posittion to get a shot on target they would lob the ball over to mdv who couldn't even jump as he was sandwiched between two defenders.

Levein must realise this tactic isn't working especially when used ALL game and EVERY game. But maybe it is also up to the players to show more creativity.

Yep, i doubt it will happen though :( we have done it all season

No we haven't. If you play longer balls you have to get bodies in and around to win the second ball. It's no good knocking it up to MDV with minimal support,

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't criticising MDV, he did his job perfectly well today and had quite a good game. My problem with the long ball to MDV is summed up perfectly in your next two paragraphs....

yep. MDV can;t do anymore than he is doing with the service he is getting, its just hard for him beacuse teams are putting 2 men on him now because of his performance aginst spurs

The fact is though that we are lumping it up to someone who cannot head a ball. He has bad balance, cant time his jumps which i would say that makes up for a pretty bad header of a football. For such a big man, what is he 6'5 and about 15 stone he gets pushed off it very easily, which also doesnt bide well for a 'real' centre forward.

He does have a good touch, but no co-ordination because of his size. He just cannot control his body. In spite of all this though he didnt have the worst game, but it is not his fault that Levein picks him every week. It is Craig Leveins.

LEVEIN OUT! :mad:

The fact is though that we are lumping it up to someone who cannot head a ball. He has bad balance, cant time his jumps which i would say that makes up for a pretty bad header of a football. For such a big man, what is he 6'5 and about 15 stone he gets pushed off it very easily, which also doesnt bide well for a 'real' centre forward.

He does have a good touch, but no co-ordination because of his size. He just cannot control his body. In spite of all this though he didnt have the worst game, but it is not his fault that Levein picks him every week. It is Craig Leveins.

If we are going to play the big hoof up field atleast stick dion up there as he wins most headers :whistle:

Archived