Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
eaststandtom

Alan Maybury

Got to say I am surprised by some of the criticism. Fair enough he is not on top form but he has ability.

Maybe its just me!!! ha ha

I agree, some people on this board are too quick to get on player's backs. He's not as good this year as last but to label him crap is too harsh.

The idea of being a supporter is that you get behind players and support them, not have a go as soon as they have a dip in form.

It's not like he's the worst player we've had this season

Maybe he played better last season, as we were genuine promotion contenders, but this season we are battling against relegation, and he knows that if we go down, he can jest leave. Looks like his determination to get back into the Premiership is more than avoiding relegation. But again it comes back down to motivation.

Maybe he played better last season, as we were genuine promotion contenders, but this season we are battling against relegation, and he knows that if we go down, he can jest leave. Looks like his determination to get back into the Premiership is more than avoiding relegation. But again it comes back down to motivation.

Genuine promotion challengers? If I remember rightly we were very close to being dragged in to the relegation scrap and a massive 1-0 victory against Derby dispelled those fears just a few games before the end of the season followed by a 2-0 home win against Leeds. We only finished 7 points above relegation.

Genuine promotion challengers? If I remember rightly we were very close to being dragged in to the relegation scrap and a massive 1-0 victory against Derby dispelled those fears just a few games before the end of the season followed by a 2-0 home win against Leeds. We only finished 7 points above relegation.

He came fully confident from a successful Hearts team, and slowly the confidence just dwithered, as did the team around around him. A new manager and a new season, he will return to his best!!

He probably isn't as psychologically tough as he should be!!!

He's only in the team IMO because he can actually win the ball in the at corners and set pieces. Take him out the side, and stick Elvis in and who have we got who can win the ball in the air? Paddy, Nils and Kisnobo!! - and most people don't want Nils in their side either. In this league - there are some big players, we need height in the side and that is what he gives us.

Just as with others, if Maybury is played in his right position ie right back, and with someone in front of him ie. a right sided midfielder who is prepared to actually do their job and help the right back when necessary, then Maybury IS a very good right back.

End of argument unless you know nothing about football.

Just as with others, if Maybury is played in his right position ie right back, and with someone in front of him ie. a right sided midfielder who is prepared to actually do their job and help the right back when necessary, then Maybury IS a very good right back.

Don't think anyone's arguing - just a discussion ;)

Wouldnt argue against that, but there is a difference between having the ability (as shown last season) and wanting to show this talent.

IMO, he hasnt shown anything that warrants his continued place in the team.

I know that he has generally been piss poor this season but his new interchangable role with Stearman is starting to look really exciting.When Graham Cross and Frank McLintock did it in the early 60's it was heralded as a tactical masterstroke by Matt Gillies.Its a pity he's suspended on Saturday IMO.

I just see so many fundamental problems with Maybury's game for a full back. He played well last season, but this season he does not merit a place in the first team by any stretch. I see a few people still think he's doing alright so I'll put forth my opinions.

He allows the opposing winger to get in behind far far to easily, Crystal Palace away was an absolute joke, he got skinned every time by McAnuff or Johnson pulling out wide.

He has seemed to forget the concept of closing an opponent down. I don't have to give examples as there are numerous cases this season of Maybury allowing the opposition to run unchallenged resulting in a cross (QPR) or shot on goal(Tottenham).

He has no willingness to get forward anymore, last season he would occasionally bomb past the winger (Sunderland away for example). I can hardly remember 1 single occasion this year where he's even offered to attack, let alone create any situations by getting to the byline.

His distribution is patchy bordering on poor. Aside from one great crossfield pass against Spurs, the times I've seen Maybury this season, his passing over 20 yards has been atrocious, amplified by the fact that often his aerial balls never look like reaching their target. The distribution problems are a byproduct of his unwillingness to attack and creating outlets.

If Maybury put in some decent performances I'd be happy to revise my opinion, but I can't think of a good show he's put on this season (been to 10 games).

He allows the opposing winger to get in behind far far to easily, Crystal Palace away was an absolute joke, he got skinned every time by McAnuff or Johnson pulling out wide.

But that was playing at LB, wasn't it?. He has been truly unnerving there - continually drifting far too far in and allowing too much space. But he was playing out of position and he didn't have a revitalised Kisnorbo controlling that side of the park and pushing him wider.

Archived