Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bert

Ron Greenwood Dies

Link

Former England and West Ham manager Ron Greenwood has died at the age of 84 at his Suffolk home after a long illness.

Greenwood managed the national team between 1977 and 1982, retiring after the World Cup in Spain.

He was West Ham manager from 1961 to 1974 and continued as general manager at Upton Park until taking the England job when Don Revie resigned.

As a player, he had two spells at Chelsea and also played for Bradford Park Avenue, Brentford and Fulham.

During his time at Upton Park, the club won the FA Cup for the first time in 1964 and won the European Cup Winners' Cup the following season.

Greenwood took over as England boss after Revie shocked football by taking a job in the Middle East and led the team to the 1980 European Championships and The 1982 World Cup in Spain.

There will be a minute's silence at Upton Park before the Hammers' Premiership game against Birmingham City on Monday.

World Cup hero Sir Geoff Hurst led the tributes to the man who converted him from a wing-half into a centre-forward.

He said: "It would not be overstating the case to say that Ron was the single most influential figure in my career.

"He opened the door to the world of modern football and I consider it a privilege to have played for him."

Sir Trevor Brooking, who played for Greenwood at both club and international level, said: "Ron was one of the best coaches this country ever produced.

"He put the players at the centre of his coaching and made sure that we went onto the pitch to express and enjoy ourselves.

England's most capped player Peter Shilton said Greenwood was "ahead of his time."

He said: "It's very sad news. Ron was a real football man in the sense that he loved to play the right way.

"I was very lucky to be associated with the England team when Ron was in charge.

"He appreciated quality players and skill, which is what you need at international level."

Striker Tony Woodcock was handed his debut by Greenwood in 1978.

He said: "His attitude towards the game was first-class and I'm sure the players that worked with him learned a hell of a lot about football.

"He was an absolute gentleman."

FA chairman Geoff Thompson said: "Ron was a great manager who made an enormous contribution to the English game.

"He was a football man and a true gentleman who will be greatly missed."

Greenwood leaves a widow, Lucy, two children, five grandchildren and four great-grandchildren and four great-grandchildren.

How sad, may he rest in peace.

Archived