Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Jamesino_LCFC

Crazy Substitutions?

Hi everyone,

First of all I would like to say, well not like, LOVE to say how uncanningly well we are doing at the minute, COME ON THE CITY..

I would just like to find out though about Rob Kelly's crazy substitutions near the end of the match, which went like this;

1. Weso off for Ryan Smith (through injury)

2. Ryan goes back off for Chris O'grady

3. Hume goes onto the right hand side, whilst Sylla goes onto the left and obviously O'grady plays up front.

Now I am FULLY behind Rob Kelly and will be a firm chanter of 'ROB KELLY'S BLUE WHITE ARMY' on Tuesday night in the Kop but I'm just not sure what these subs were about, and maybe you all know. Still, we won the game anyway regardless! Cheers everyone, James.

Hi everyone,

First of all I would like to say, well not like, LOVE to say how uncanningly well we are doing at the minute, COME ON THE CITY..

I would just like to find out though about Rob Kelly's crazy substitutions near the end of the match, which went like this;

3. Hume goes onto the right hand side, whilst Sylla goes onto the left and obviously O'grady plays up front.

Now I am FULLY behind Rob Kelly and will be a firm chanter of 'ROB KELLY'S BLUE WHITE ARMY' on Tuesday night in the Kop but I'm just not sure what these subs were about, and maybe you all know. Still, we won the game anyway regardless! Cheers everyone, James.

To be fair, most of them were forced onto him. Smith was that ill he HAD to go back off. O'Grady has been great for the last few games he has came on for the last 15-20 mins. Because weso had to go off, Hughes went back into the middle, Sylla thus going to where he was. Hume can basically play anywhere in midfield so.......... it all made sense to me anyway!!! ;)

Hi everyone,

hi i know why smith came off for o'grady because there is a bug going round the the squad

The weird sub seemed to be Gerrbrand for Hume if you ask me. Not the substitution itself, but according to the radio Gerrbrand was not going into defence but staying wide right... ?

Quite so. That was the intention. Seems bizarre to me, this is the first league game where Kelly's used all 3 subs, and his final sub was a bit wierd if you ask me. Then again, Maybury has played wide right too, and Gerrbrand filled in at RB when Maybury was sent off that time. I can't understand why he picked Gerrbrand and not Hammond to replace Hume at wide right. :ermm: He must have his reasons.

Gerrbrand can defend. it was very late in the day and that's what we needed.

Indeed he can defend, and hanging on was probably what we needed.

But he was supposedly wide right. I suppose he could have been a wing back - so we'd have a wing back and a full back on the right side. That's what I call cautious :D

Indeed he can defend, and hanging on was probably what we needed.

But he was supposedly wide right. I suppose he could have been a wing back - so we'd have a wing back and a full back on the right side. That's what I call cautious :D

it was only for the last 4 or 5 mins though, and it's clear that gerrbrand is a ball playing defender so he can take that in his stride.

Smith was shocking when he came on. At one point, when we were trying to defend a corner, he'd quite clearly lost his temper with someone, I suspect Paddy. He was clearly 'not at the races', excusing the pun. :P

I think it's a brave manager who can admit a mistake, and then rectify it. Rather than call him 'crazy', I applaud him for it. The last two would have done nothing rather than admit he was in the wrong, and this would have undoubtedly cost us the game.

According to beaumontfox on TFF, Smith was having a bit of an argument with Kelly at the end, and then threw his shirt on the floor and stamped on it, also failing to acknowledge the fans.

Well, what does one expect? The little git is from Arse-hole and has thus had a silver spoon in the proverbial mouth since the academy. Now that he comes here and has to prove something while showing heart and being a team player he fails miserably like all the other selfish tripe they proliferate from that club. I won't miss him when he surely goes...talented, sure, but also a lunatic.

Smith was shocking when he came on. At one point, when we were trying to defend a corner, he'd quite clearly lost his temper with someone, I suspect Paddy. He was clearly 'not at the races', excusing the pun. :P

I think it's a brave manager who can admit a mistake, and then rectify it. Rather than call him 'crazy', I applaud him for it. The last two would have done nothing rather than admit he was in the wrong, and this would have undoubtedly cost us the game.

Spot on Lisa.

Do you think it was Ryan Smith who alerted Kelly that he couldn't go on or did Kelly just realise it and sub him?

Spot on Lisa.

Do you think it was Ryan Smith who alerted Kelly that he couldn't go on or did Kelly just realise it and sub him?

Going by Smith's reaction, I'd say it was Kelly's decision. To be honest, I don't know why he didn't put O'Grady on in the first place. Especially after half-time, Brighton seemed more up for it, and I think we needed a bit of strength (in character as well as physical), not a show-pony.

Archived