Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Birch'sLeftBoot

Connolly to Direby?

DC is a great player, and he'll want to play regularly.

If he'd played for Arsenal he'd have no issue stepping up at White Hart Lane and pulling on a Spurs top then spanking the winner to send Arsenal down. The guy is a winner.

As BartonFox has correctly said, there will be no loyalty issues for him there, nor should there be.

It's unlikely though, in my opinion, that Wigan would want to let him go, whether it be permanently or on loan. They don't have a large squad anyway and have struggled on a number of occasions this season with having the required amount of fit strikers.

I doubt they would let him go amidst an injury crisis. He won't make it in the premiership though because he has no pace, poor composure and completely over rates himself as a footballer. We were laughing all the way to the bank when they gave us 2 million up front for him and we'll do the same when the next million comes in!

What is best is that we have got Hume and Fryatt in who are both more talented players for a third of the cost, lower wages and they are younger! I think it is fair to say CL did a good bit of business for the long term future of the club here. :whistle:

I think that's a little unfair on Connolly to be honest. He's not the quickest, but his footballing brain and good close control mean he doesn't have to be.

let's not also forget his good international scoring rate

plus the fact that he won the soccer a.m golden boot when playing for wimbledon

I think that's a little unfair on Connolly to be honest. He's not the quickest, but his footballing brain and good close control mean he doesn't have to be.

He was a massive dissapointment for us. I was really excited when he signed fore us and was willing to give hima chance when he intially disspaointed but it became obvious to me that his reputation, and ego, were much greater than his ability levels. I'm not suprised West Ham were so willing to practically give him away.

I doubt they would let him go amidst an injury crisis. He won't make it in the premiership though because he has no pace, poor composure and completely over rates himself as a footballer. We were laughing all the way to the bank when they gave us 2 million up front for him and we'll do the same when the next million comes in!

What is best is that we have got Hume and Fryatt in who are both more talented players for a third of the cost, lower wages and they are younger! I think it is fair to say CL did a good bit of business for the long term future of the club here. :whistle:

If you had Connolly alongside either Hume or Fryatt you would be witnessing something quite spectacular. No player works harder at his game than Connolly and no player in recent years worked harder for the Club.

I too doubt that he'd go out on loan.

We all saw him play for a season at close quarters, lets judge him on that. He had absaloutely no athleticism and whilst being a technically adaquete player this was nowhere near enough to make up for his size and lack of pace. He may have been a good player by our recent standards but he is no way a premiership footballer.

Plus itnernational scoring rates are totally irrelevent, you are playign against bad defenders, unorganised defenders for a lot of the time. I'd suggest it is easier to score at International level than it is at Championship level.

If you had Connolly alongside either Hume or Fryatt you would be witnessing something quite spectacular. No player works harder at his game than Connolly and no player in recent years worked harder for the Club.

I too doubt that he'd go out on loan.

Agreed he works hard and gave his all for the club, doesn't make hima premiership footballer though does it? Dickov did the same but was a much better athlete, more intelligent and a better finisher.

Let's also not forget his excellent movemnet and positional sense too :thumbup:

I don't think it's a case of lack of ability as much as he needs to play in a system which suits him.

Yes, pumping long balls to his head really isn't going to be effective, Connolly neeeds the ball to be played into his feet to give him something to work with.

Let's also not forget his excellent movemnet and positional sense too :thumbup:

Yes, pumping long balls to his head really isn't going to be effective, Connolly neeeds the ball to be played into his feet to give him something to work with.

I actually thought his positional sense was half the problem. Like Hume he doesn't know if he is a striker or a player "in the hole," unlike Hume he didn't have the vision or the dribbiling abilities to create goal scoring situations from those situations he put himself in.

I would say he is actually a very difficult player to accomidate into your team.

akinbyi, jerome thomas, king and ashley young to the world cup then.

yeh right. come on.

All those players would bag plenty of goals in A European qualification group involving the liesk of Albania, Litchenstei or Luxembourg. Ofcourse they would struggle, like Connolly, to have an impact against the top class defences. The point is you are playing against crap half them time at international level.

Plus, the world Cup is hardly the pinnacle of good football. It may have the best drama and mean the most to the fans but the quality in the Champions League and the Premiership is far higher. I reckon a well organised mid table premiership side would walk the World Cup.

All those players would bag plenty of goals in A European qualification group involving the liesk of Albania, Litchenstei or Luxembourg. Ofcourse they would struggle, like Connolly, to have an impact against the top class defences. The point is you are playing against crap half them time at international level.

Plus, the world Cup is hardly the pinnacle of good football. It may have the best drama and mean the most to the fans but the quality in the Champions League and the Premiership is far higher. I reckon a well organised mid table premiership side would walk the World Cup.

i think you underestimate the quality of those international sides.

I disagree. I'd like to see Wigan or West Ham or Blackburn or any other mid-table premiership side romp to victory against Brazil/Italy/England/Spain/Holland etc.

I disagree. I'd like to see Wigan or West Ham or Blackburn or any other mid-table premiership side romp to victory against Brazil/Italy/England/Spain/Holland etc.

Have you seen England try and mark against set pieces?

We are one of the better defences, if not the best, out of the teams you have mentioned!

Do we know if we get the extra million just by Wigan staying up? I know it was said a lot at the time (mostly by fans) which is why a lot of people assume it to be true but I can't remember either of the clubs actually coming out and saying that. It could be the case that the deal also also concerns how many games he plays for Wigan or how many goals he scores. That would be the only reason why a loan move for Connolly, to any club, would worry me.

It would be irksome to see Connolly playing for Derby, but I'd still think we'd have had the better end of the deal selling one 'proven' (in quotation marks because of his poor form for most of last season) 28 year old goalscorer and getting three young (19, 22, 25) promising strikers (and I am including Elvis in that for the moment).

Do we know if we get the extra million just by Wigan staying up? I know it was said a lot at the time (mostly by fans) which is why a lot of people assume it to be true but I can't remember either of the clubs actually coming out and saying that. It could be the case that the deal also also concerns how many games he plays for Wigan or how many goals he scores. That would be the only reason why a loan move for Connolly, to any club, would worry me.

It would be irksome to see Connolly playing for Derby, but I'd still think we'd have had the better end of the deal selling one 'proven' (in quotation marks because of his poor form for most of last season) 28 year old goalscorer and getting three young (19, 22, 25) promising strikers (and I am including Elvis in that for the moment).

It's true, it says on the Wigan site, on his profile. :)

Archived