Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
loz

england Strikers

i have just been looking at goals in all competitions for prem players and possibly the four strikers we might take are not in the top 20. so im slighty worried that if he does take Rooney, Owen, defoe and crouch which are his fave 4 imo that we are not going to score many at the world cup

but darren bent is 3rd out of the twenty top (i think he has 15 goals)

i am pretty sure that if sven does only pick the 4 strikers he will take bent over defo because defo just has not played enough times this season

Owen, Rooney, Defoe and Bent would be the best choice.

But of course he bums Crouch so...

Crouch will offer something different, he's shown against argentina and uraguay that if he is brought on with 15mins left he can cause disruption in the defence.

The thing about Bent is while he is playing very well he had loads of chances in the last england match and didnt score. i would take him but who knows what is going on in Svens head

Owen and Rooney are nailed on.

Crouch has ot go as he is playing extremly well at the moment, his linked up play is fantastic and due to his height means that he is always a goal thrat. When thaking reserves youa lso have to consider what they contribute. Crouch makes an excellent sub as he can offer a target man when we need a goal from the last half hour and thir defence is sitting a deep, a situation where Owen becomes less effective. He is also very different from anythign we have so defences will have to change theirt syle of play when he comes on.

Defoe will probably get the reserve striker role and not playa game. He is a substitue for Owen as he has similar attributes but is just not as good. If Owen is injured for a group game or an early knock out stage he could be considered the best alternative.

Now we get down the the 5th choice striker. Bent looks pretty shite from what i have seen of him. His touch and anticipation are not at international level and I can't see the situation where playing him would be the right thing to do. If we took him he'd be a waste of a spot, no room for sentiment in football.

Fowler has not set the world alite since returning to Liverpool and appears to have lost it foerver. James Beattie was never picked by Sven even when he was at his best at the Saints and the onyl other player I can think that is contnetion is Dean Ashton. If he peforms at his current level betwreen now and May he may just sneak in as a fifth chocie striker as he has real quality.

Personally thought I wouldn't take one though. I'd sooner switch to one up front or play Joe Cole or Stevie G up there than play mediocre players like Bent or Beattie. If we are serious about winning the world cup we need serious players.

If fit, I think England will take the following four strikers - Owen, Rooney, Crouch and Defoe.

The problem comes if Owen isn't fit. Defoe's only got 8 this season, but he's the only player close to Owen in terms of pace (quicker) or finishing. I'd rather Bent or Ashton went instead of Defoe, but only on a hunch. Every World Cup, there tends to be a player that comes from nowhere and forces their way in. Maybe one of those two will be that player?

I'd take Beattie ahead of Crouch, but it'll never happen in a month of Sundays.

If Rooney gets injured, we're screwed. I'd take Sheringham instead - but we're still screwed.

If Rooney gets injured, we're screwed. I'd take Sheringham instead - but we're still screwed.

No. No. No. No. We'd be a laughing stock, he can't even get int he West Ham team over Marlon HArewood FFS. If Rooney gets Injured we are screwed but the best option is either to bri ng in Coruch and DOwning and change our style of play and base it round getting crosses in or we should just drop Joe Cole into the Rooney role and hope he does wonders. Personally I would much prefer the latter.

If fit, I think England will take the following four strikers - Owen, Rooney, Crouch and Defoe.

Correct.

Every World Cup, there tends to be a player that comes from nowhere and forces their way in. Maybe one of those two will be that player?

You can't pick a squad on that basis. You have to pick the players who you think will be most effective and add most to the squad. I think picking deliberately obscure players in the hope they "come out of nowehere" is extremely flawed logic.

I'd take Beattie ahead of Crouch, but it'll never happen in a month of Sundays.

Why? :blink: Crouch is a much better footballer than Beattie and is genrally considered to have agreat attitude. If you watch Liverpool at the moment he is one of their best players and has coem on leaps and bounds. I really don't get the anti-Crouch feeling.

No. No. No. No. We'd be a laughing stock, he can't even get int he West Ham team over Marlon HArewood FFS. If Rooney gets Injured we are screwed but the best option is either to bri ng in Coruch and DOwning and change our style of play and base it round getting crosses in or we should just drop Joe Cole into the Rooney role and hope he does wonders. Personally I would much prefer the latter.

He shouldn't do. He's 40 and isn't up to the rigours of week-in-week-out Premiership action. We wouldn't be a laughing stock at all. Sheringham is highly respected around Europe, and I'd bet his goals per game ratio this season is better than either Defoe or Crouch (who both play for teams in the Top 4).

I think experience counts for a lot at this level in a tournament, and the international game is slightly slower which would suit him. Sheringham could do a job for us, although not necessarily from the start. He holds the ball up well, can play the killer pass in/around the box, and if we get a half chance in the last minute, who's more likely to hit the target - Sheringham or Crouch?

I agree that Cole could play that role well, but if I was allowed a wild-card pick, I'd take Sheringham as well.

You can't pick a squad on that basis. You have to pick the players who you think will be most effective and add most to the squad. I think picking deliberately obscure players in the hope they "come out of nowehere" is extremely flawed logic.

:D I don't think I suggested picking a player's name out of a hat. It was just a general observation that each World Cup, a player in form (and with a bit of luck) seems to come from nowhere. Geoff Hurst would be the ultimate example. Danny Mills had a respectable campaign 4 years ago. Michael Owen did in '98.

Why? :blink: Crouch is a much better footballer than Beattie and is genrally considered to have agreat attitude. If you watch Liverpool at the moment he is one of their best players and has come on leaps and bounds. I really don't get the anti-Crouch feeling.

I'm not anti-Crouch, and I'd agree with you about his attitude. Beattie is a bit of a mardy-arse, but so is Rooney. Both PC and JB are playing really well at the moment. Beattie is more aggressive and possibly the better natural finisher, when he's 100% on his game. I'd have no problems with Crouch going, however.

not sure if this point has been made, but we have goals from all parts of the squad...cept the goalies probably! Midfield and defence can all notch and have before?

I don't understand this hype with Beattie he has suddenly come into a bit of form over the last couple of weeks and everyone starts raving about him but for the best part of the last 2seasons he has been total sh ite!!

Archived