Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Libertine

Stearman Doubtful For Preston Game

Stearman Struggling

0,,10274%7E2841027,00.jpg

Rob Kelly says that Richard Stearman is rated as 'doubtful' for Saturday's Championship clash against Preston North End at the Walkers Stadium.

The young defender missed Friday night's 2-0 victory over Crystal Palace with a knee injury.

And speaking at his Monday afternoon press briefing, the City boss confirmed that Stearman was again a concern ahead of this weekend's fixture.

He said: "Richard is getting better, although we are not sure he will be back for the weekend. I would say that he is doubtful for the game against Preston at the moment."

Meanwhile, Kelly was able to reveal that his squad had come out of the Palace game pretty much unscathed.

He added: "Apart from Richard we aren't looking too bad on the injury front. If Paddy McCarthy hadn't have been suspended for the next two matches then he might have been struggling with his thigh. We've got a few walking wounded but that's about it."

Stearman qouldn't have played anyway because we won and I doubt Kelly would bring him back in unless it was to replace Mr McCarthy?

Looking forward to seeing Gerrbrand get another chance, he needs to perform like he did against Preston at their place where it was one of the best defensive performances i've seen for a long while.

Stearman qouldn't have played anyway because we won and I doubt Kelly would bring him back in unless it was to replace Mr McCarthy?

True, I'd have loved to have seen him at centre back again though, I thought he was great there against Crewe. Up until that point I'd been thinking he might stick at right back, but seeing him in the centre you could tell that was his proper position.

True, I'd have loved to have seen him at centre back again though, I thought he was great there against Crewe. Up until that point I'd been thinking he might stick at right back, but seeing him in the centre you could tell that was his proper position.

Yeah i thought that, although a lot of people on here thought he didn't particualy impress, if remember correctly.

We've got too many central defenders, we've nowhere to put them all :P

I suppose the plus side of having Stearman still out injured, it means Maybury will continue at RB and Hughes RM with Welsh starting once more, which in the eyes of many is a very good thing.

Afterall, keeping Stearman out is the low-change option. With McCarthy suspended, we're going to have to make one change to a winning side already, so do we really want to make it two changes and reshuffle noth right side and left mid positions?

Gut feeling says Kelly will stick with what he's got, but with Gerrbrand coming into CB - wether Stearman is fit or not (he'd be on the bench if he's fit enough). Problem with that strategy is, if we keep winning Stearman may miss out on the last few games.

We've got too many central defenders, we've nowhere to put them all :P

I suppose the plus side of having Stearman still out injured, it means Maybury will continue at RB and Hughes RM with Welsh starting once more, which in the eyes of many is a very good thing.

Afterall, keeping Stearman out is the low-change option. With McCarthy suspended, we're going to have to make one change to a winning side already, so do we really want to make it two changes and reshuffle noth right side and left mid positions?

Gut feeling says Kelly will stick with what he's got, but with Gerrbrand coming into CB - wether Stearman is fit or not (he'd be on the bench if he's fit enough). Problem with that strategy is, if we keep winning Stearman may miss out on the last few games.

Having said that Stearman has been a part of the side for most of Kelly's time and I wonder if he'd drop MAybury for Stearman. I thought Maybury looked a tad shaky on friday.

Having said that Stearman has been a part of the side for most of Kelly's time and I wonder if he'd drop MAybury for Stearman. I thought Maybury looked a tad shaky on friday.

Maybury's not played RB for quite some time - so that's understandable.

You'd think Kelly prefers Stearman at RB over Maybury - so perhaps if Stearman was fit, he'd drop Maybury for Stearman. It's reasonably likely I think.

You'd think Kelly prefers Stearman at RB over Maybury - so perhaps if Stearman was fit, he'd drop Maybury for Stearman. It's reasonably likely I think.

I reckon so.

Its what I would do anyway. :blink:

There's no logical reason to rush Stearman back. He'd had other niggles before his knee injury and will probably benefit from getting everything cleared up properly. He's had a hard, concentrated season, especially for his introductory season as first choice.

There's no logical reason to rush Stearman back. He'd had other niggles before his knee injury and will probably benefit from getting everything cleared up properly. He's had a hard, concentrated season, especially for his introductory season as first choice.

Indeed. We've all seen what being rushed back from injury can do to your career... I'm looking at you Mr Morris :ph34r:

My thoughts exactly. One thing I think Rob Kelly does well is manage his players. Sylla had been out for a reasonably long time with an injury apparently. How bad it was I don't know but the team were winning so Kelly didn't have to bring him back in. If Levein had been in charge still Sylla would've walked straight back into the team no questions asked. How does that motivate a player to perform? We could leave Stearman out for the remainder of the season, let's be fair he's played a good amount of games already this season for his age. If he regains fitness but doesn't walk straight back into the team it will make him work that little bit harder to get back in the first team next season. What we have now is competition. Not more players than before just a squad that know that they have a chance of getting into the first team or being forced out of it.

Archived