Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
stez

next seasons' midfield

Going through our current squad list in numerical order:

Alan Maybury- Not been brilliant at right midfield but with Stearman behind him I think he can get away with being average. They seem to have linked together well recently and I would have no problems with Rob Kelly if he decided to stick with Maybury there next season. You can get through a season in this division with a couple of players who aren't outstanding and still win promotion. Alan Rogers, 2002/03 springs to mind down the left hand side. Nothing special, prone to the odd mistake but tried to fill a hole in the team.

Paddy Kisnorbo- Would not play Kisnorbo in midfield again unless absolutely necessary. I would try any other possible option first before making him play there again because it is clear to see now it's not his position at all.

Stephen Hughes- Still hold a lot of hope for him. He's not been at his best, you could say due to injury or due to the fact he's not been playing through the middle but he's still contributed a few goals for the team this season which makes me hope that an injury free Hughes playing in the middle still can offer us a lot. If my Maths is right he's still only 23 which makes me even more hopeful that he can improve further. I've just got my fingers crossed that he can get through pre-season ok and then. The form of players like Hughes is going to determine whether we have another season like this one or if things will get better/worse next season because he is a prime example of a player who has the potential but has only managed to show us it in glimpses.

Gareth Williams- I'm a big critic of his because he's set high standards in the past and has failed to live up to them most of the time. He has improved of late but still goes missing when things aren't going great for the team. I don't think we can afford to have too many players like Williams in our team. Maybe he's too similar to Hughes to have them two playing next to each other in a midfield four?! I think so, I'd pick Hughes ahead of Williams though just for the way he makes runs into the box whenever possible whereas Williams rarely busts a gut to get into the area.

Momo Sylla- Although I thought he was awful at the beginning of the season I'm prepared to give him another chance beginning next season. I've seen a slight difference in him in the last few sub appearances he's made. He's shown more effort in tackling back and his header at the far post against PNE was nowhere near going in but showed a bit of commitment to meet the ball round the back of the defender. You can still hear the groans from the supporters when they see him coming on but I think we should try to forget the start he made under Levein where he was guaranteed a starting place every week and let him start again under Rob.

Danny Tiatto- Can't see him being here next season but if he is it will be because Rob thinks he offers us something and I'll wait to see what it is.

Joe Hamill- Seen him play a couple of reserve games lately and he has impressed me at times. Unfortunately reserve team football isn't the same as Championship football and he is another of the players brought from the SPL who isn't built for this league. He's not got the energy levels to keep going at the required tempo for 90 minutes and hasn't got the strength to get past most full backs in the Championship. That's why when he plays you'll see him pass the ball to his right or left instead of getting past the full back and whipping balls in. I've seen nothing in his game that can trouble defences, no killer final ball, not lightning quick although if anything his pace is his main asset. I really would look to get him out of the club asap although the one thing he has on his side is time to improve but I don't hold much hope for him.

Andy Welsh- Can't see us keeping him anyway, could play a role for Sunderland next season with them probably losing some of their better players.

Levi Porter-I like him but I don't think he's cut out for regular Championship football. Hopefully he'll get a chance at some point next season even if it's as a sub buyt we shouldn't be looking towards him as a member of a settled midfield four in this division.

James Wesolowski- I think he's going to have to play a bigger role for the first team than he can have imagined less than a year ago. I can see him coming through like Stearman has. He will become a regular, injuries allowing, without us even noticing and we'll wonder who we used to play in his position before he came along. Of course we already know who he is but I don't think I could imagine Stearman playing the amount of games that he has done this season when the season started and I think Weso will be the same.

Maybury-Wesolowski-Hughes-TBC

Would be my midfield four if I was boss. I think a left midfielder is a must and Rob knows it. That's why he brought Welsh in on loan but whether it is Welsh who he'll get I'm doubtful. Wouldn't mind if it was though.

How is it??

Look at how far our players from the academy who have broke through to the first team are doing!

Adams was reluctant to play anyone but his own signings.

all im saying is we were in trouble financially and contracts were not being offered to youngsters as part of the administration. Its strange as you would have thought thats the cheapest way to improve the team but the board and dave basset felt it was important not to waste money by offering contracts to youthfull untested players.

I'd be tempted to play with wing backs cos then Stearman can slot in at Rcb with Paddy mac at Cb And Kisnorbo at Lcb

Maybury and someone else (possibly Sheehan) could play at wing backs, leavin us with Hughes, Weso and Williams in midfield, then we have somene creative, (Williams) a more defensive midfielder with workrate that can tackle (Weso) and a tricky goalscoring midfielder to support Hume and Fryatt. (Hughes)

This is a very long shot yes and i very much doubt it'll happen, but this is my view on the situation.

I'd be tempted to play with wing backs cos then Stearman can slot in at Rcb with Paddy mac at Cb And Kisnorbo at Lcb

Maybury and someone else (possibly Sheehan) could play at wing backs, leavin us with Hughes, Weso and Williams in midfield, then we have somene creative, (Williams) a more defensive midfielder with workrate that can tackle (Weso) and a tricky goalscoring midfielder to support Hume and Fryatt. (Hughes)

This is a very long shot yes and i very much doubt it'll happen, but this is my view on the situation.

If we were to go 532 with the current players (i.e. no additions) I'd go for:

Stearman Paddy k, Paddy M, Paddy G/Nissa Sheehan

------------------------------ Weso

---------------Hughes-----------------------Hume

---------------Fryatt-----------------O'Grady

Archived