Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Random Burglar

Referee regrets Lehmann's red

Referee regrets Lehmann red card

Hauge could have let Barca's goal stand and not sent off Lehmann

Referee Terje Hauge has admitted he may have acted too quickly in sending off Arsenal keeper Jens Lehmann during Barcelona's Champions League triumph.

Hauge dismissed Lehmann in the 18th minute for fouling Samuel Eto'o, with Ludovic Giuly's resulting effort ruled out as Hauge had blown for a free-kick.

"I would have liked to have taken a few more seconds before I made a decision," Hauge told a Norwegian newspaper.

"If I'd done that, I could have given a goal and given a yellow card as well."

In other circumstances I would perhaps have done something different with Lehmann

Referee Terje Hauge

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger and captain Thierry Henry have both slammed Hauge's performance in Paris and claimed his decisions favoured the Spanish side.

But the Norwegian said he was pleased with his overall display as Barcelona won the match 2-1 thanks to goals from Eto'o and Juliano Belletti.

And he said the Lehmann incident was a difficult one to judge after the German became the first player to be sent off in a European Cup final.

He added: "We had full control of the match and all in all I'm quite happy with my performance.

"Under other circumstances I would perhaps have done something different with Lehmann, but this mostly rested on the positioning in relation to the situation.

"Everything happens quickly on the pitch and for me it looked as if there was physical contact.

"As well as that it happened in the linesman's working area and I had no reason to doubt him in this instance.

"It was obviously a big game for Arsenal, and to lose is a huge disappointment so I understand their frustration. But we'll have to give it a few days so we can discuss this more sensibly."

Fifa president Sepp Blatter criticised the referee's decision to send off Lehmann.

He told BBC Radio Five Live: "My opinion is that, when in certain actions - and not only in front of the goalmouth, but everywhere - he should let the advantage, finish the action and then he can come back and whistle.

Ref was a bit shit, but the red card was a red card.

But not if he'd have played advantage, it would then have been a goal and a yellow card as a goal hasn't been prevented.

In my mind referees should be doing everything in their power, within the laws of the game to retain 22 players on the pitch as this is a spectator sport and people fork out thousands £Â£Ã‚£ to watch it, games are fundametally changed when a player is dismissed.

It has become the easy option for refs to wave yellow and red cards around, to me it is often a sure sign of a very poor referee.

In my mind referees should be doing everything in their power, within the laws of the game to retain 22 players on the pitch as this is a spectator sport and people fork out thousands £Â£Ã‚£ to watch it, games are fundametally changed when a player is dismissed.

Very much agree. There was over 70,000 people in the stadium, most of whom had paid a lot of money to watch the game. Apparently (according to Sky Sports) over 800 million people watch the final. Sending him off an not allowing the goal ruined for all those people (including me) what looked like a possible great match up of two attacking sides. Instead we had to have Arsenal playing counter attack for 70 minutes. In the end of course Barcelona were happy, but how annoyed would they have been had they not scored their goals later on, and Arsenal had ended up winning. After blowing the whistle for the initial foul, he had no choice but to send Lehmann off, but certainly should have played the advantage.

It seems to me that the FA, UEFA and FIFA seem to want to take the spectical and enjoyment out of the game as much as possible, by constantly supporting the no common sense approach of many of their officals.

The game is essentially suppose to be entertainment.

Archived