Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MC Prussian

Swiss Football

AXPO Super League, the Swiss Top-Flight  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Which Swiss league team(s) do you know?

• FC Zurich
    • FC Basle
    • Young Boys Berne
    • Grasshoppers Zurich
    • FC Thun
    • FC St.Gallen
    • FC Aarau
    • FC Schaffhausen
    • FC Lucerne
    • FC Sion

Since I'm Swiss (obviously visible), I was just wondering how much coverage you guys are getting on the Island over the year? I mean, there's the occasional team playing against an English side, like Basle a couple of years ago against Liverpool or versus Middlesbrough in this year's UEFA Cup or FC Thun in the recent Champions League competition (against Arsenal), but apart from that, how much do you know about Swiss football?

Ever been in Switzerland? Ever seen a football match there? Any players you know? Are you familiar with the regular playing mode? Or is Swiss Football just something very exotic overall?

I'd love to give you more information on that if you'd like to.

(The poll choices above are based on the upcoming 2006/07 season in the AXPO Super League, the highest Swiss football league)

I've heard of the top 5 over the years but I know no detail on any of the clubs in Switzerland, I've never been there.

I've heard of most of the teams listed but couldn't name a single player from any of them, I fly to Geneva about 4 times a year but haven't spent much time in Switzerland since they moved our major trade show to Munich 6 years ago.

Know all the teams and could have a good stab at nameing a few players from the top five.

TBH Swiss football is a bit shite really aint it :P .

Wouldn't say shit :D , but rather boring. As we live in a small country with only 7.5 million people, the market is too small for almost everything, including football. Big part of the talented footballers play abroad. Plus, there's a huge competition with other sports, like ice hockey, handball, volleyball or tennis. As you can imagine, most football clubs can't draw as many fans as in England. Only a few selected clubs (Basle, FC Zurich, Grasshoppers, Young Boys Berne and St.Gallen) are able to get a crowd larger than 10'000 people.

Most stadiums are also in desperate need of renovation, for example take a look at the one from my local team , FC Schaffhausen:

schaffhg3.jpg

280.jpg

Looks more like a rusty old training ground, doesn't it?

I'd be interested to know what state Servette are in now - I know they've been in deep financial trouble. Any sign of them recovering and getting promoted? I lived in Geneva in 92/93 and was a regular at the old Charmilles stadium. Servette also had a fine team in that period (Sonny Anderson played up front, and they had Marco Pascolo in goal ... the guy was genuinely good in those days.... honest).

We've exchanged messages about the mighty Etoile Carouge before, and their 'stadium' must take the prize for being the most underdeveloped - although I could acquire a taste for lying on a grass bank to watch football matches ;)

I'd be interested to know what state Servette are in now - I know they've been in deep financial trouble. Any sign of them recovering and getting promoted? I lived in Geneva in 92/93 and was a regular at the old Charmilles stadium. Servette also had a fine team in that period (Sonny Anderson played up front, and they had Marco Pascolo in goal ... the guy was genuinely good in those days.... honest).

We've exchanged messages about the mighty Etoile Carouge before, and their 'stadium' must take the prize for being the most underdeveloped - although I could acquire a taste for lying on a grass bank to watch football matches ;)

Couldn't find any better pictures than these, but I'm sure they'll bring back some memories:

IMG_6485_600x450.JPG

IMG_6500_600x450.JPG

IMG_6501_600x450.JPG

IMG_6502_600x450.JPG

All pictures from the match Etoile Carouge vs. Servette FC (July 30, 2005).

Servette FC has just secured promotion to the Challenge League again, one league below the Super League, finishing 1st in their group in the First League ("1. Liga" /"Ligue Premiere"):

Servette in the 1st League

They're on their way back to the creme de la creme in Swiss football and will hopefully join the top flight at the end of next season. They're hugely missed, since the Super League has turned into a rather Swiss-German kinda thing in the past few years.

They played against the German National Squad, which is preparing for the World Cup in and around Geneva, yesterday (Monday) and lost 2-1.

Archived