Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fez of Mahrez

Championship clubs in order of size

i'd put Sheff Wed 3rd

On what basis?

In my opinion, to put all clubs in size rank order has to be based on average attendances over the last ten years.

Fans make the size of the club. Thats the most important thing. Without fans, the clubs are small.

On what basis?

In my opinion, to put all clubs in size rank order has to be based on average attendances over the last ten years.

Fans make the size of the club. Thats the most important thing. Without fans, the clubs are small.

in which case Sheff Wed would be well above us they averaged about 24000 in League one and on a regular basis last season got over 25000 and their highest attendance was more than our ground holds!!!

The trouble is their ground is huge and even if they get 28000 fans it still looks half empty

On what basis?

Therefore I'd put Sheff Wed 3rd

Leicester is the 10th City in the UK by population size behind Birmingham, Sheffield and Leeds but Birmingham, of course, serves more clubs and historically I doubt the crowds at St Andrews have been much different to ours generally because even in the Premiership Birmingham only averaged just over 27,000.

Leicester's average crowd last season (21691) was comparable to the Championship's biggest average attendance Norwich (24906), despite us flirting with relegation for much of the time and I'm quite sure our average would be at least as high as 24900 if we were at the right end of the table (a point, of course, about the need to play someproper football).

Even on ground capacity there was only Wednesday, Derby, Leeds and Southampton (by 500) of last year's Championship sides with greater capacity and Sunderland will swell that number this season (though not Birmingham or West Brom).

So Leicester is a big City, with a sizeable core support and a ground to match the capacity of most. Unlike Sheffield (or Sunderland or Bimingham really) Leicester does not have to service two clubs. All we are really missing is the sort of players and style of play which will put bums on seats.

Yes but Leicester is not exclusively a football city. The presence of the bigest Rugby club in the country and possibly Europe has a to be a factor on the size of our fanbase.

Sunderland & Leeds

So your top 3 are;

Sunderland

Leeds

Sheff Wed

I see where ya coming from but i think Birmingham City must be taken into consideration. It all depends on what you base things on to be honest.

Is it the wage bugdet and ability to spend millions on players?

Is it the size of the fanbase?

Is it the previous history of the club?

Is it the ability to stay in a higher division if promoted?

Because in my opinion Birmingham City would probably be in the top 3 for all of those. I agree with Leeds United as I think they are a massive club. But Sunderland i'm not so sure of. I think if everything was taken into consideration then Birmingham City are the biggest club in the Championship.

I think if everything was taken into consideration then Birmingham City are the biggest club in the Championship.

that would be Leeds. Massive city and the only club in the city. Glittering history.

Birmingham = yoyo club, second biggest club in the second largest city but lots of competition for fans. Villa have far more fans. Never really won anything

that would be Leeds. Massive city and the only club in the city. Glittering history.

Birmingham = yoyo club, second biggest club in the second largest city but lots of competition for fans. Villa have far more fans. Never really won anything

I see your point. It just depends what things you take into account.

Do you reckon Leeds could still offer as high wages or pay the transfer fees that Birmingham City can? Thats what i was trying to consider. I agree that Leeds are around the same size as Birmingham, i'm more concerned with people believing Sheff Wed are still big. Yes they have a huge stadium. But they cant afford big wages or transfer fees and thats what makes a club a big club in my eyes as well as the stadium.

Yes but Leicester is not exclusively a football city. The presence of the bigest Rugby club in the country and possibly Europe has a to be a factor on the size of our fanbase.

Rugby. What's that? Horrible word. But you're right. Time to relocate those bloody Tigers to a zoo!. :whistle::whistle::):)

So your top 3 are;

Sunderland

Leeds

Sheff Wed

I see where ya coming from but i think Birmingham City must be taken into consideration. It all depends on what you base things on to be honest.

Is it the wage bugdet and ability to spend millions on players?

Is it the size of the fanbase?

Is it the previous history of the club?

Is it the ability to stay in a higher division if promoted?

Because in my opinion Birmingham City would probably be in the top 3 for all of those. I agree with Leeds United as I think they are a massive club. But Sunderland i'm not so sure of. I think if everything was taken into consideration then Birmingham City are the biggest club in the Championship.

Before their last promotion the brummies were getting crowds of around 15000 over many seasons. I wouldn't be surprised to see them slipping back towards that figure next season.

Sunderland and Leeds had average crowds on or around 40000 for several seasons, and massive away followings too. Therefore as clubs they have to be regarded as in a class of their own.

Before their last promotion the brummies were getting crowds of around 15000 over many seasons. I wouldn't be surprised to see them slipping back towards that figure next season.

Sunderland and Leeds had average crowds on or around 40000 for several seasons, and massive away followings too. Therefore as clubs they have to be regarded as in a class of their own.

Thats cool. I've never been quite sure of the figures. Maybe its because i'm a student in Birmingham and i can see how fans they have out and about compared to Leicester and things like that, that make my view biased.

I knew Sunderland and Leeds where big clubs. Just couldnt see why everyone was putting Sheff Wed in there too though...

My order would be as follows:

Sunderland

Leeds

Sheffield Wednesday

FOXES

Derby

Southampton

Wolves

Ipswich

Birmingham

West Brom

Norwich

Crystal Palace

Coventry

Hull

Stoke

Plymouth

Barnsley

Preston

Cardiff

QPR

Burnley

Luton

Southend

Colchester

Thats cool. I've never been quite sure of the figures. Maybe its because i'm a student in Birmingham and i can see how fans they have out and about compared to Leicester and things like that, that make my view biased.

I knew Sunderland and Leeds where big clubs. Just couldnt see why everyone was putting Sheff Wed in there too though...

The owls have massive potential. If they ever return to the Premiership I can see them attracting 30000+ crowds with ease - especially as an absence of several years from the top flight has made them a lot hungrier.

Leeds are in a different class to Sunderland, even. Although Sunderland have generally had the more passionate support, they've always had first dibs for the place of valiant but tragic loser. Leeds have never lost enough for my liking.

And it's kind of sad to see Ipswich's true place appearing in these rankings. In the 70s and 80s they were always the small club I wanted to see stick one on much bigger teams. An FA cup and a EUFA cup weren't bad but they came so close to a couple of League wins

Leeds

Sheffield Wednesday

Birmingham

Sunderland

Leicester

Southampton

Wolves

Derby

Ipswich

West Bromwich Albion

Crystal Palace

Coventry

Norwich

Cardiff

Preston

Stoke

QPR

Hull

Plymouth

Luton

Burnley

Barnsley

Southend

Colchester

Obviously depends on what your talking about. Fanbase? Success? My list is a mixture of the two, I think ;)

Leeds

Sheffield Wednesday

Southampton

Leicester

Derby

Birmingham

Norwich

Sunderland

Ipswich

Crystal Palace

Wolves

West Bromwich Albion

Coventry

QPR

Cardiff

Preston

Hull

Luton

Stoke

Plymouth

Burnley

Barnsley

Southend

Colchester

the definitve list :thumbup:

So whats the difference with Sunderland then?? During the late 80's and early 90's they were only averaging the 13-15 thousand??

Leicester is the 10th City in the UK by population size behind Birmingham, Sheffield and Leeds but Birmingham, of course, serves more clubs and historically I doubt the crowds at St Andrews have been much different to ours generally because even in the Premiership Birmingham only averaged just over 27,000.

Leicester's average crowd last season (21691) was comparable to the Championship's biggest average attendance Norwich (24906), despite us flirting with relegation for much of the time and I'm quite sure our average would be at least as high as 24900 if we were at the right end of the table (a point, of course, about the need to play someproper football).

Even on ground capacity there was only Wednesday, Derby, Leeds and Southampton (by 500) of last year's Championship sides with greater capacity and Sunderland will swell that number this season (though not Birmingham or West Brom).

So Leicester is a big City, with a sizeable core support and a ground to match the capacity of most. Unlike Sheffield (or Sunderland or Bimingham really) Leicester does not have to service two clubs. All we are really missing is the sort of players and style of play which will put bums on seats.

Cough Cough#

No.

Club

Average

Games

vs '05

Highest

Norwich City

2,5%

Sheffield Wednesday

7,6%

Ipswich Town

-5,5%

Derby County

-4,2%

Sheffield United

20,7%

Wolverhampton Wanderers

-11,3%

Southampton

-22,9%

Leeds United

-23,5%

Leicester City

-7,9%

Coventry City

32,0%

Reading

17,7%

Hull City

10,1%

Crystal Palace

-19,3%

Watford

8,1%

Stoke City

-10,4%

Preston North End

5,3%

Plymouth Argyle

-16,1%

Queens Park Rangers

-16,3%

Burnley

0,0%

Cardiff City

-9,7%

Millwall

-18,2%

Luton Town

15,1%

Brighton & Hove Albion

5,8%

9th average and a miserable 10th biggest gate :( and where did we finish? 16th? We have no money and thin squad.

Leicester is split between the football and rugby club. Around 48% of people living in Leicester are asian i belive, and they make up something like 3% of our averge crowd. So City effectively lose half the population of the city as the football club does not to appeal to most asians for whatever reason. We are nowhere near the biggest club in this division. Wednesday had a miserable season, even more so then us, and have still had much bigger crowds then us.

EDIT: Oh and with three bigger clubs coming down for the premier league and Coventry possibley having a good season we will be lucky to be in the top half re attedances next season. :(

So whats the difference with Sunderland then?? During the late 80's and early 90's they were only averaging the 13-15 thousand??

Still double what the brummies were getting around this time, and indeed comparable with what Newcastle were getting before Keegan took over there.

If MON takes over at the Stadium of Light they'll pull 35000 every week, easily.

Archived