Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fez of Mahrez

Wigan after Kisnorbo

Sorry, didn't want to make the post too cluttered. It's all open to debate, but this is how I classified them:

Goalkeeper - Two Average (Douglas, Henderson), One Unproven (Logan)

Right Back - Three Good (Stearman, Maybury, Kenton)

Centre Back - Seven Good (Stearman, Kenton, Kisnorbo, McCarthy, McAuley, Gerrbrand, Johansson)

Left Back - One Good (Johansson), One Average (Tiatto), One Unproven (Sheehan)

Right Wing - Two Average (Sylla, Hughes), Three Unproven (Low, Porter, Hamill)

Central Midfield - Four Good (Williams, Johnson, Hughes, Wesolowski), One Average (Tiatto)

Left Wing - One Average (Tiatto), One Unproven (Hamill)

Striker - Three Good (Fryatt, Hume, de Vries), Two Average (O'Grady, Hammond), Two Unproven (Dodds, Chambers)

A few contentious ones in there (de Vries and Hamill especially), but I tried to be fair.

Sorry, didn't want to make the post too cluttered. It's all open to debate, but this is how I classified them:

Goalkeeper - Two Average (Douglas, Henderson), One Unproven (Logan)

Right Back - Three Good (Stearman, Maybury, Kenton)

Centre Back - Seven Good (Stearman, Kenton, Kisnorbo, McCarthy, McAuley, Gerrbrand, Johansson)

Left Back - One Good (Johansson), One Average (Tiatto), One Unproven (Sheehan)

Right Wing - Two Average (Sylla, Hughes), Three Unproven (Low, Porter, Hamill)

Central Midfield - Four Good (Williams, Johnson, Hughes, Wesolowski), One Average (Tiatto)

Left Wing - One Average (Tiatto), One Unproven (Hamill)

Striker - Three Good (Fryatt, Hume, de Vries), Two Average (O'Grady, Hammond), Two Unproven (Dodds, Chambers)

A few contentious ones in there (de Vries and Hamill especially), but I tried to be fair.

Fair enough, I thought that's how you'd seen it and I wouldn't argue with any of that really except maybe Stearman has to be labelled unproven at centre-back just yet - and I'd probably introduce a poor rating for Tiatto, Hamill, Hammond and Sylla ;)

In reply to Tomassi, I think the imbalance in the squad is a concern. Where do you draw the line? It's all very well saying we should not, as fans, be in favour of selling a "key" player. What about if we had 32 centre-backs and one goalkeeper? In my view, this squad could cope with the sale of two centre-backs and if it takes that to get some sort of decent left side then so be it and it represents our best chance to move forward this season. Kisnorbo may be relatively young as a centre-back but as I have stated on many occasions I don't think one player is the difference between promotion/staying in this division/relegation. However, if we were to sell him and get some balance to the team in midfield, I think this could make a telling difference in our fortunes.

People at the time were saying the sale of Connolly was wrong but looking back, I think it was a fantastic sale. £3million made a big difference to our club. Chiefly, in the long run it meant we could afford to label de Vries a backup and bring in two vibrant, young attacking players up front. If the sale of Kisnorbo is used to fund a decent left-winger then I'm all for it.

More on the Wigan thing, it's just been on SSN that Jewell hopes to have 2 new additions to his squad on Monday. So I'm sure we'll find out by Tuesday morning if any of our lads are going...

In reply to Tomassi, I think the imbalance in the squad is a concern. Where do you draw the line? It's all very well saying we should not, as fans, be in favour of selling a "key" player. What about if we had 32 centre-backs and one goalkeeper? In my view, this squad could cope with the sale of two centre-backs and if it takes that to get some sort of decent left side then so be it and it represents our best chance to move forward this season. Kisnorbo may be relatively young as a centre-back but as I have stated on many occasions I don't think one player is the difference between promotion/staying in this division/relegation. However, if we were to sell him and get some balance to the team in midfield, I think this could make a telling difference in our fortunes.

People at the time were saying the sale of Connolly was wrong but looking back, I think it was a fantastic sale. £3million made a big difference to our club. Chiefly, in the long run it meant we could afford to label de Vries a backup and bring in two vibrant, young attacking players up front. If the sale of Kisnorbo is used to fund a decent left-winger then I'm all for it.

I have to agree fully with Fez here.

If one player makes that much a difference to a team then we're a poor team and don't deserve to go up or even finish mid-table. If we can get a descent price for Kisnorbo and then get in a left back and left midfielder in my eyes then theres an improvement.

Plus we do have great depth at centre-back, so it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

It wasn't as if Kisnorbo was great all season. Ok, he had 10 or 12 great games at the end. But i also like the look of Johannson at centre-back when he played there. So with Johannson, McCarthy and Gerrbrand we have 3 decent centre halves. And thats without taking into consideration the other lads.

So i think a decent offer should be accepted in allowing the squad to improve.

Ironic really. Last season before CL went some City supporters would have given Kisnorbo away for nothing. In some quarters he was even booed by some supporters.

After some good performances in his prefered position we are now talking 2 Million Quid for him.

My my, If we base our renewed confidence for a good season on the performance of RK and the team whats the point in losing Kisnorbo?. CL was building a team for the future but played his favourates and played people out of position regually. RK did not have any favourtes and played people in their favoured positions.

We need to keep Kisnorbo at all costs because, if we sell him for financial purposes, I can see Fyatt, Hume and others following him out the door at some time in the very near future for the very same reason.

If we start to lose players of this potential where will that leave us?. Buying in new players is not the answer unless its to strengthen the current squad and not to replace potentially good players we have lost.

RK needs to make a point by creating a "dont even go there" attitude to interested clubs so that he is left with a decent squad that he can develop into a competitive team and build on the potential shown by the squad towards the end of last season.

COME ON YOU MIGHTY FOXES

MadMick

I'd be sorry so to him go after his end to the season but unless we can shift another of the centre backs, and not McCarthy so i'm thinking Gerrbrand really, then anything above £1m and i'd let him go.

in kisnorbo we have a defender who has shown himself to be quality at this level and he has a good understanding with our other defenders.

we could sell him but there is no guarantee that mcAuley will prove himself here or that gerrbrand can overcome his inadequate performances from the latter half of last season.

if kis can maintane his performances from last season through into this then id rather keep him.

were going to need decent defenders with the brickie in goal. :blink:

in kisnorbo we have a defender who has shown himself to be quality at this level and he has a good understanding with our other defenders.

we could sell him but there is no guarantee that mcAuley will prove himself here or that gerrbrand can overcome his inadequate performances from the latter half of last season.

if kis can maintane his performances from last season through into this then id rather keep him.

were going to need decent defenders with the brickie in goal. :blink:

If only the club was in the position to reject decent bids for crucial players.

If we get a bid of over one and a half million for Kisnorbo, then it will be accepted I believe. The club is still in financial debt and will look at the offer and think we have lots of players in that position and I have no doubt it will be accepted.

I only wish we could pick and choose which offers to accept and reject dependant on size.

also, if we are to push for promotion then surely he is going to be key to getting us up and keeping us there :huh:

I dont think he would be the key to promotion but he would play a big part in it if he perfrorms how he did towards the end of last season.

Archived