Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fez of Mahrez

Wigan after Kisnorbo

I'd take anything over a million. We have a lot of players in that position. So we would not be lacking in that position anyways.

Then investment in much more needer positions can be undertaken

As things are it's only a rumour so I'm not getting to worked up either way, but I'd be happy to sell him if we got a good enough price. At least one centre-back has to go with the amount we have, and I'll be relieved if it is Kisnorbo rather than McCarthy, Nissa (personal preference) or Stearman. He was great last season at centre-back but for me selling him would be a better option than getting rid of the three I've just mentioned, especially McCarthy and Stearman who will only increase in price and quality over the next few seasons.

THey've just had a a bid for this guy turned down:

Sky Sports News understands that Crystal Palace have turned down Wigan Athletic's £1 million offer for Emmerson Boyce.

So I can't see them paying more than that for Kisnorbo.

Soccerbase

Getting someone to sign a new contract is a way of telling other clubs we 'really' want to keep him!! (i.e. you've got to pay us more!!) :whistle:

Let's hope this works with Tiatto!! :ph34r:

Fully agree re Kisnorbo. I'd say RK gave him a new contract, to bump his price up a bit. If, as reported, Palace have turned down Wigan's offer of £1k for their central defender, then I'd say it would be VERY LIKELY that Wigan would turn elsewhere for someone - and Kisnorbo could be their chap. I had heard that a Wigan scout was at the last 2 City home games last season - everyone assumed they were looking at Stearman (and that WAS in the press) - it could well have been Kisnorbo they were considering then !

Fully agree re Kisnorbo. I'd say RK gave him a new contract, to bump his price up a bit. If, as reported, Palace have turned down Wigan's offer of £1k for their central defender, then I'd say it would be VERY LIKELY that Wigan would turn elsewhere for someone - and Kisnorbo could be their chap. I had heard that a Wigan scout was at the last 2 City home games last season - everyone assumed they were looking at Stearman (and that WAS in the press) - it could well have been Kisnorbo they were considering then !

This is very rarely done in football. Normally getting a player to sign a new contract means they are staying, It would take a very serious amount of money (1.25 as a minmum my guess) for Kelly to sell Kisnorbo, he's strategy hasn't exactly been kept secret, , it's been all over the press few singings and even fewer people leaving through the exit door.

what is the point in selling him??

building a team to get us in the premiership in the long term or just cash to pay the bills now?

ambition please!!!

totally agree mate if kisnorbo and paddy mac play like they did at the end of last season we could heading for promotion we should not be a selling club we need to build a team and kisnorbo is a major factor in that process

I'd say that with the signing of Kenton and McAuley, RK has already 'earmarked' Kisnorbo to go - and has been busy trying to set up a deal with someone - Wigan were mentioned as possible buyers a couple of months ago. I hope the money's good !

RK wants to keep Kisnorbo, but your logic is sound in that with those 2 signings made, we do have more cover if clubs come in with 'good' bids (a la Connolly last year, so we avoid the situation from last season where the Connolly deal while a good deal financially, left our lack of squad cover exposed for a period).

RK wants to keep Kisnorbo, but your logic is sound in that with those 2 signings made, we do have more cover if clubs come in with 'good' bids (a la Connolly last year, so we avoid the situation from last season where the Connolly deal while a good deal financially, left our lack of squad cover exposed for a period).

Interesting. When Hume and/or Fryatt get snapped up just before the window closes, who is their back-up in the squad, Hammond I suppose?

Surely it must be more than a case of having cover, Kelly must have good suspicions that someone is going to bid for one of our centre-backs, and that he's going to accept the bid. If we go out of the transfer window with seven centre-backs then I'd be worried about morale, match fitness and strain on the playing budget.

Interesting. When Hume and/or Fryatt get snapped up just before the window closes, who is their back-up in the squad, Hammond I suppose?

Surely it must be more than a case of having cover, Kelly must have good suspicions that someone is going to bid for one of our centre-backs, and that he's going to accept the bid. If we go out of the transfer window with seven centre-backs then I'd be worried about morale, match fitness and strain on the playing budget.

This is a differnt kettle of fish to the Connolly situation. no one will come in with 3 million pound bids (or anything resembling that ) for either of those players as they simply aren't proven enougn,( connolly had a extremly good scoreing rate throughout his carear and we got him cheap beacuse he fell out with the West Ham management ) and besided even if someone did come in with that sum I doubt the club would be biteing hand in quite the same maner as the Connolly situation, he was 29 and they are both alot younger.

Seven centre half we may have however 3 or possible even 4 of them can play differnt roles, I wouldnt be suprised to see Gerrbrand go ( or Kisnrobo if the money is right ) but I dont think its a cert.

Is it all about money to you guys?

RK is looking to build a team capable of being successful, like any manager should and i find it disgusting that a vast majority want to cash in on one of our good players.

No wonder weve been sh!yte these past few seasons with attitudes such as this

RK is looking to build a team capable of being successful, like any manager should and i find it disgusting that a vast majority want to cash in on one of our good players.

I think you're missing the point or being unfair, I don't believe anyone wants the good players to be sold but they are all conscious of the fact that there are inherent weakness in the team both at first choice level, on the left and as backups, on the right, midfield and up front.

We have also been told that we have no money and it's been intimated that no more recruitment is forthcoming unless someone moves out.

No ones going to take the undeperforming players off us and certainly not for a fee. Therefore when talk of a valued player, in a position where there appears to be an abundance of cover comes up it's natural for fans to put 1 & 1 together and to logically conclude that here is an opportunity to strenghten the team as a whole not weaken it.

Sometimes you have to speculate to accumulate. And we have always been a selling club, unfortunately.

We've spent the summer picking up frees from Lincoln and Northampton, and a 32 year-old from WBA. I'm not dissing our new signings, as I see the logic behind them all. However, if we get a silly offer like the Connolly deal last season, it could enable us to bring in a couple of £500,000 players from a slightly higher quality bracket.

I take your point, though. No-one wants to see Fryatt, Stearman etc leave. Or Kisnorbo for that matter. I saw him 2-3 times at the end of last season and he looked a changed man.

It's not that simple.

Football is a business these days - we not only need to balance our book but also need to look at the wider picture.

Kisnorbo is one of our few valuable players who is attracting attention from other clubs. We already have plenty of decent centre back if we sold Kisnorbo, and the money could be used to strengthen other weak links in the team (ie left/right midfield, left back etc).

Plenty of managers in the past have sold their better players in order to strengthen in other areas, and still been successful. I don't think Kisnorbo leaving (if it happens) is going to make or break our success in this division.

This is purely from a fans point of view not a business point of view.

Im sad because most fans would rather take the money then keep the player in this situation. I would understand it if it was someone who wasnt playing many games and wasnt doing very well.

I understand that from a business point of view this can make sense in the fact we have other players but this is about a fans heart not mind

In real life i'd rather be poor and happy than rich and sad haha :ph34r:

This is purely from a fans point of view not a business point of view.

Im sad because most fans would rather take the money then keep the player in this situation. I would understand it if it was someone who wasnt playing many games and wasnt doing very well.

I understand that from a business point of view this can make sense in the fact we have other players but this is about a fans heart not mind

In real life i'd rather be poor and happy than rich and sad haha :ph34r:

I still think your'e missing the point.

"fans would rather take the money then keep the player" theyre not saying they'd rather they are saying they can understand it in this instance e.g. because we are well covered in that area. If it was Fryatt being touted this forum would be red hot & angry because that would leave the team severely weakened.

"if it was someone who wasnt playing many games and wasnt doing very well" well as I said no ones going to want them so this carries no weight in the debate.

If you did a poll and said should we sell Kisnorbo and use the money for improving the stadium, giving TD a pay rise or something similarly stupid they answer would be a resounding no. They don't want the money they want a better team.

I wouldnt say im missing a point itself, but making a point.

Yeah if kisnorbo is sold to improve the team then maybe this could be a good thing, but nethertheless it is not a gaurenteed result. The fact that we now have plenty of defenders can only be a good thing.

I for one do not want to see Kisnorbo leave, nor any other important player. His performances towards the latter end of the season showed what he is capable of and i really feel that if there is some stability in team in terms of keeping the same group of players then that can only improve the attitude and 'gelling' of the team.

Obviously if we can improve the team by selling a prized asset then we will see what happens, but as i said before this is never a gauranteed result and i'd rather keep a sound good player than bring in a couple of players who could be better quality but might not fit in

If Wigan offer good money, we would be foolish to turn it down. The selling of Connolly allowed us to bring in Hume, Fryatt and Elvis. In my eyes, the selling of Connolly allowed us to strengthen both our first team and our reserve team (sorry elvis :whistle: ).

Kisnorbo is a very good defender but if selling him allows us to strengthen, then we would be stupid not to.

Considering his age, his durability in playing week-in, werk out, his consistency as a centre-back, his unquestioned bravery and commitment in every game, and his oh-so-vital asset in the Premiership of speed and mobility, I would ask a minimum £2million plus add-ons or £2.5m straight.

Given good luck he is undoubtedly a World Cup player of the future for Australia and if he can improve his distribution (it is surely bound to improve!) he has everything asset needed to be an outstanding defender.

Considering his age, his durability in playing week-in, werk out, his consistency as a centre-back, his unquestioned bravery and commitment in every game, and his oh-so-vital asset in the Premiership of speed and mobility, I would ask a minimum £2million plus add-ons or £2.5m straight.

Given good luck he is undoubtedly a World Cup player of the future for Australia and if he can improve his distribution (it is surely bound to improve!) he has everything asset needed to be an outstanding defender.

What? Utter utter dream land - Kismybum will never go for that kind of money at the moment, more likely £750 000 to a million. £2 million for a Aussie left out the Aussie World Cup squad? Mental. While I concede OUR value of him may now be high (slightly ironic given our opinion of Kismybum in midfield) no club would offer that sort of cash for him and we would accept far less.

I can see no sense in selling such a good defender for £750,000. If anyone believes the likes of McAuley or Gerrbrand will replace him then I'm all but certain they'lll be mistaken. That's not to say McAuley and Gerrbrand are no good. But Kisnorbo-class defenders?. I don't think so judging, not by what I've seen of Gerrbrand and the wide cross-section of views that I've read about McAuley.

Jo Brand could be good IMO, against Sheff UTD at home I thought he had a great game. Macaulay has huge plauditry from the lower leagues, but i guess we'll have to wait and see.

Our beloved club is fairly skint, RK may take the £750 000 - get Jansen and Dichio in and be happy with the huge amount of CB's at our disposal.

£2 million and he'd drive him to Wigan himself I'm sure!

This is a differnt kettle of fish to the Connolly situation. no one will come in with 3 million pound bids (or anything resembling that ) for either of those players as they simply aren't proven enougn,( connolly had a extremly good scoreing rate throughout his carear and we got him cheap beacuse he fell out with the West Ham management ) and besided even if someone did come in with that sum I doubt the club would be biteing hand in quite the same maner as the Connolly situation, he was 29 and they are both alot younger.

Seven centre half we may have however 3 or possible even 4 of them can play differnt roles, I wouldnt be suprised to see Gerrbrand go ( or Kisnrobo if the money is right ) but I dont think its a cert.

I suppose I have little faith that our club would say no to £2 million for Fryatt/Hume from the likes of Sheff Utd (just the kind of club that would buy them IMO, despite being 'unproven', Warnock liking to collect strikers, Hume playing well against them and them having a bit of money and the pull of the Prem.. all speculation of course).

As for playing in different positions, yes that is true, however my concern is that the distribution of quality players throughout the squad is off, and the sale of Kisnorbo could help to balance that out.

Goalkeeper - Two Average, One Unproven

Right Back - Three Good

Centre Back - Seven Good

Left Back - One Good, One Average, One Unproven

Right Wing - Two Average, Three Unproven

Central Midfield - Four Good, One Average

Left Wing - One Average, One Unproven

Striker - Three Good, Two Average, Two Unproven

(probably left a few unproven kids off but that's the basic squad)

I suppose I have little faith that our club would say no to £2 million for Fryatt/Hume from the likes of Sheff Utd (just the kind of club that would buy them IMO, despite being 'unproven', Warnock liking to collect strikers, Hume playing well against them and them having a bit of money and the pull of the Prem.. all speculation of course).

As for playing in different positions, yes that is true, however my concern is that the distribution of quality players throughout the squad is off, and the sale of Kisnorbo could help to balance that out.

Goalkeeper - Two Average, One Unproven

Right Back - Three Good

Centre Back - Seven Good

Left Back - One Good, One Average, One Unproven

Right Wing - Two Average, Three Unproven

Central Midfield - Four Good, One Average

Left Wing - One Average, One Unproven

Striker - Three Good, Two Average, Two Unproven

(probably left a few unproven kids off but that's the basic squad)

Not wanting an argument or anything - just wondering who the good left-back is, who the two average right-wingers are and which strikers are good and which are average?

Archived