Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jimbers

stuck at home Leicester fans which pub

Hey guys im working till lunch and stuck in Leicester city centre wheres good in the city centre to see Leicester normally id watch it in my local in Fleckney but thats not the case as im in town.

Three pubs I can think of are The Bricklayers Arms, Hoggs Head or Litten Tree...

Hey guys im working till lunch and stuck in Leicester city centre wheres good in the city centre to see Leicester normally id watch it in my local in Fleckney but thats not the case as im in town.

Three pubs I can think of are The Bricklayers Arms, Hoggs Head or Litten Tree...

You can watch at the Swan and Rushes and what's more you can drink some proper beer. :thumbup::thumbup:

I take it you dont mean the [GOD AWFUL] pub by the same name in Lufbra?

How very dare you.... thats a great pub...although I haven't been in there since about 1988 :whistle:

I take it you dont mean the [GOD AWFUL] pub by the same name in Lufbra?

Certainly not. I remember that from my time on the newspapers there. Is it really still that bad?

I loved my time in Loughborough but not the pubs especially. So many capers. So many good friends.

No this Swan and rushes is by the Infirmary. A proper spit and sawdust pub that takes a pride in what it sells for refreshment.

Certainly not. I remember that from my time on the newspapers there. Is it really still that bad?

I loved my time in Loughborough but not the pubs especially. So many capers. So many good friends.

No this Swan and rushes is by the Infirmary. A proper spit and sawdust pub that takes a pride in what it sells for refreshment.

Excuse me for being very naive, but what does that saying actually mean? I have a rough idea what it means, but where does it originate from, etc?

Excuse me for being very naive, but what does that saying actually mean? I have a rough idea what it means, but where does it originate from, etc?

Quote:

"A spit and sawdust pub is a throw back from the old days when spittoons were provided for customers to spit into and sawdust to mop up the product from poor shots, spilt beer or blood from any fight which might have broken out. The phrase is still used today although these types of pub are few and far between nowadays. Spitting has almost entirely died out with the decline in 'baccy' chewing that produced the need to spit. People seem to swear instead now!"

My description of the Swan and Rushes was meant to convey that it is a genuinely traditional pub with no fancy trappings (apart form a tv screen) but which owes its reputation to the huge selection of real ales and ciders it offers to customers sitting around old pine tables etc.

The last on the floor spit and sawdust pub I went to was in London's now chic St Katherine's Dock by Tower Bridge.

My uncle used it long before the revamp and indeed many others in the vicinity (before the advent of the Ro-Ro Container Terminal at Tilbury etc) when the proximity of the docking berths meant you could buy the most exotic meals in the most unpretentious locations (when you knew where to find them) and wash them down with some rare and wholesome tipples and all for rock bottom prices.

Now it's a haven for the yachting set and designer clothing hunters.

Quote:

"A spit and sawdust pub is a throw back from the old days when spittoons were provided for customers to spit into and sawdust to mop up the product from poor shots, spilt beer or blood from any fight which might have broken out. The phrase is still used today although these types of pub are few and far between nowadays. Spitting has almost entirely died out with the decline in 'baccy' chewing that produced the need to spit. People seem to swear instead now!"

My description of the Swan and Rushes was meant to convey that it is a genuinely traditional pub with no fancy trappings (apart form a tv screen) but which owes its reputation to the huge selection of real ales and ciders it offers to customers sitting around old pine tables etc.

The last on the floor spit and sawdust pub I went to was in London's now chic St Katherine's Dock by Tower Bridge.

My uncle used it long before the revamp and indeed many others in the vicinity (before the advent of the Ro-Ro Contained Terminal at Tilbury etc) when the proximity of the docking berths meant you could buy the most exotic meals in the most unpretentious locations (when you knew where to find them) and wash them down with some rare and wholesome tipples and all for rock bottom prices.

Now it's a haven for the yachting set and designer clothing hunters.

I've just flobbed in my bin, i'm going to call my office a real spit and sawdust office. Cheers Thrac.

I've just flobbed in my bin, i'm going to call my office a real spit and sawdust office. Cheers Thrac.

i think alot of the spit and sawdust was collected by entrepeneurs in the 60s who set up factories making woodchip wallpaper ...........this commodity is still seen in many pubs around the country as a lasting testament to the art :blink:

The Swan and Rushes does indeed provide decent ale, and is well worth checking out on home match days.

Unfortunately, it doesn't have Sky.. :(:(

Hog's Head, Fox & Tiger or Litten Tree are your best bets..

(edited cos I forgot about the F&T earlier!)

The Swan and Rushes does indeed provide decent al, and is well worth checking out on home match days.

Unfortunately, it doesn't have Sky.. :(:(

Hog's Head or Litten Tree are your best bets..

where are you going ultra??

Do you try and promise people free Ipods there so you can get the referrals to yours?

lol no I did that time ago and yes I did get a free 30GB iPod if you must know :cool:

Just saying its a great club and I couldnt believe it when the LCFC supporters club was based there when I moved to Oakham.

lol no I did that time ago and yes I did get a free 30GB iPod if you must know :cool:

Just saying its a great club and I couldnt believe it when the LCFC supporters club was based there when I moved to Oakham.

No need to you such colourful language when I said I didnt want to do it then :P

Archived