Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thracian

A Change of Opinion

First, the change of opinion.

I've tried to give Elvis Hammond the benefit of many doubts in the lasting belief that City need some pace in their side and that, given a chance, Elvis could provide it.

But, while City have looked a better team since his involvement I cannot see that:

a) His pace is being utilised in any special way.

b) That he controls the ball well enough to sufficiently take advantage of his pace as an individual.

c) That he finds time, with all that speed, to ever get his head up and see what's going on.

d) That he carries enough goal threat, fast or not, to keep a central striker role.

Last night, and I imagine on many occasions against taller opposition, we badly needed Chris O'Grady first to provide some aerial chllenge and secondly, some width when Levi went off.

Now the pat for RK.

He did what I hoped and showed some faith in Porter.

In so doing he not only overcame an important psychological barrier for the lad but dispelled the myth that the inexperienced and diminutive attacker couldn't cope with the blood and thunder of a local derby.

I'd never seen it as a problem. Levi's coped with being as broad as he's tall for ages. But full marks to RK for not only picking him on merit but using him effectively and trying to attack the game in a fairly balanced way (at least until Levi went off).

I've tried to give Elvis Hammond the benefit of many doubts in the lasting belief that City need some pace in their side and that, given a chance, Elvis could provide it.

But, while City have looked a better team since his involvement I cannot see that:

b) That he controls the ball well enough to sufficiently take advantage of his pace as an individual.

c) That he finds time, with all that speed, to ever get his head up and see what's going on.

d) That he carries enough goal threat, fast or not, to keep a central striker role.

Last night, and I imagine on many occasions against taller opposition, we badly needed Chris O'Grady first to provide some aerial chllenge and secondly, some width when Levi went off.

Now the pat for RK.

In so doing he not only overcame an important psychological barrier for the lad but dispelled the myth that the inexperienced and diminutive attacker couldn't cope with the blood and thunder of a local derby.

I'd never seen it as a problem. Levi's coped with being as broad as he's tall for ages. But full marks to RK for not only picking him on merit but using him effectively and trying to attack the game in a fairly balanced way (at least until Levi went off).

Was a nice surprise to hear Porter got a decent run-out, from the start no less. :thumbup:

He sounded quite busy late in the first half, seemed to be whacking as many balls in the general direction of the goal as he possibly could. :smile:

Was a nice surprise to hear Porter got a decent run-out, from the start no less. :thumbup:

He sounded quite busy late in the first half, seemed to be whacking as many balls in the general direction of the goal as he possibly could. :smile:

great start for the lad :thumbup: i was most impressed

Now the pat for RK.

:blink:

There was no blood and certainly no thunder, it was a dreadful game between 2 poor sides, thankfully we're slightly less poor than the SBS.

There is a complete lack of creativity.

Our keeper is a total bombscare.

NEJ looked okay against a team who played very narrow to start with.

We struggled when Dele Tombola made an appearance.

We made Matt Heath look half decent.

We made Matt Heath look half decent.

Ha Ha Ha very good point.

Watching the game it felt like we had the basics there, but were missing real quality down the spine of the team. Our Goalkeeper doesn't install confidence in anyone. Watching our centre backs I always feel a mistake, penalty or sending off could happen any time!!

From centre mid the killer ball, or abilty to switch play quickly is missing... now we get to what, for me, was the most glaring admission from our team. A target man upfront to be on the end of the crosses and to hold the ball up and lay it off to Fryatt. The poor lad seems to be trying to do everything on his own at the minute, I think Thracian is right about O'Grady being the only real option we have at the minute for this role.

Watching the game it felt like we had the basics there, but were missing real quality down the spine of the team. Our Goalkeeper doesn't install confidence in anyone. Watching our centre backs I always feel a mistake, penalty or sending off could happen any time!!

From centre mid the killer ball, or abilty to switch play quickly is missing... now we get to what, for me, was the most glaring admission from our team. A target man upfront to be on the end of the crosses and to hold the ball up and lay it off to Fryatt. The poor lad seems to be trying to do everything on his own at the minute, I think Thracian is right about O'Grady being the only real option we have at the minute for this role.

Agreed, Babylon, let's hope the Maybury deal and the loan money for MDV gives RK an opportunity to solve atleast one of our weakness!!!!!

I thought McCarthy and Kisnorbo both had solid games against Coventry.

But the same couldn't be said for other areas of the team.

The midfield went missing in the second half and this allowed Cov to throw men forward. Micky's substitutions also sparked some life into them.

And up front, Matt Fryatt once again suffered badly from a lack of service and support.

If O'Grady isn't being considered for a first team place at the moment, then RK and/or the club should spell out the reasons why.

Archived