Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Stig

Player Ratings v Sunderland

Henderson - 8

Kept us in the game, somehow.

Stearman - 4

He really isn't as good as some make out. Inept.

Kisnorbo - 5

Connolly's movement and touch was too much for him.

McCarthy - 4

The only thing he has over McAuley is 'passion'.

Kenton - 4

Being out of position and lacking match fitness didn't help. Had trouble dealing with Sunderland's width on the right.

Hughes - 4

No influence on the game whatsoever.

Williams - 4

No willingness or movement to show for the ball.

Wesolowski - 4

Lack of match fitness contributed to him being off the pace.

Porter - 4

Worked hard but little threat going forward. Poor set pieces.

Fryatt - 5

Some good touches and pieces of play - however, he lacked any real support.

O'Grady - 4

Anonymous. Again another player exposed by a lack of match practice.

Subs:

Hume - 5

No support to make an impact.

Cadamarteri - 5

Won a few headers and put in a good cross. Not really involved.

:D:D:D

Porter worse than Kenton, Cadamarteri, O'Grady, Wesolowski. Do you work on being a wind-up merchant or does it just come naturally.

As for trying to make out that youth was the reason for our demise I can assure you that Southampton was an even worse performance - as you'd probably choose not to admit if you saw it - but it is not just me who had Porter in the top two for player of the month in December.

Old timer Kenton was the major weakness yesterday - how you can muster five points for him is extraordinary - he was even bad when others were trying to help him.

We lost so badly because our most senior man - the sodding manager - picked such a totally unfit and indefensible team which was never going to be co-ordinated what we playing people out of position.

It had nothing to do with youth. Yes, Wesolowski, O'Grady and Fryatt are young. But everyone but the manager is well aware that none of those players are properly fit any more than Cadamarteri.

The sooner Kelly's gone the better.

You're up Porter's arse something rotten.

In the last two games Porter has been poor. (By his usual standards.)

You're up Porter's arse something rotten.

In the last two games Porter has been poor. (By his usual standards.)

Our one decent chance all game: Porter in midfield 20 yard through ball to Hume, first time pass to Fryatt, striker misses with only the goalkeeper to beat.

Second best chance all game: Free kick at the kop end. Flighted gently towards the back post where Kisnorbo was literally inches away from heading in unchallged.

Two further free kicks from a similar situation could not be attacked by our player because of the close marking of Sunderland's defenders but at least they caused concern.

I seem to think another chance was created first half for O'Grady after a good move and otherwise Porter was forced back into defensive duties a) by Kenton's woeful inadequacies and b) through Wesolowski being unable to cope. Certainly he made two or three decent clearances from deep central midfield and helped play the ball out of defence on other occasions.

You're right though in that his general passing accuracy was not as good as usual (by his standards).

I even wonder if he was getting knackered towards the end having played two full 90 minutes over the period but at least he was still covering the ground at the end while people like Kenton, Wesolowski, Hughes, Williams, O'Grady, even Cadamarteri after his initial flourish had either gone off or copped out completely.

Don't think I wouldn't criticise Levi. But hanging him out to dry because of the failings of others is not in my vocabulary. It was the same at Southampton. He spent virtually his whole time trying to take the heat off Nils but was still involved in the very few decent things we did.

The sooner we get a manager who might use Porter for what he's good at - which is creating things - the better.

But no, he's like every wide man we ever have lately. Starts off as a winger and ends up a supplementary defender. Not occasionally but most of the time.

Ryan Smith, Josh Low, Danny Tiatto on occasions and now Levi. Low must have realised he was at the salt mines when he played at West Brom and he too spent the whole time trying vainly to save Kenton's embarrassment, this time on the right side. Low was never the same again.

It'll only get sorted when we get fast, aggressive full-backs who have the energy to support our attack...and when the hell will that happen?.

**** ME.

Henderson 7

Stearman 4

Kenton 3

McCarthy 4

Kisnorbo 5

Hughes 6

Williams 4

Wesolowski 3

Porter 5

Fryatt 5

O'Grady 3

Hume 5

Cadamarteri 4

Your about right there pal. Worst performance i've seen for a long while. Oooops i've just thought of several more from recent times, but it was still shocking.

Wesolowski needs to work on his passing. Tackling he was sublime, but his passing was Andy Johnson-ish and although there was little movement from our players he should still be capable of passing to our players from 5 yards away.

Henderson 7

Commanding performance spoil by nearly giving a goal away but still MOM

Stearman 4

Poor effort often left others exposed

Mcarthy 4.5

Very little communication with Kisnorbo, not captain material. Macauley is better.

Kisnorbo 5.5

Best of the defenders

Kenton 3.5

Skinned time after time, bring back Nissa

Hughes 5.5

Fair first half and faded

Weso 4.5

Gave away the ball too easily and off the pace

Williams 6

Poor for him, marginally better than rest of MF

Porter 5.5

Frustrated by lack of service, deadball delivery woeful

Fryatt 6

Looked lively but had to drop back into Mf to pick up ball then got surrounded by 3 men.Looked fitter and needs another start

O Grady 5.5

Suprising substitution, decent in the first

Subs:

Hume 5.5

Out of form but tried hard once on

D.C 4.5

Made a couple of runs but I thought Tiatto would have been a better bet as a sub

Archived