Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lineker's Left Foot

Hot properties to watch out for in the future!

Which players in our Youth/Academy teams are hot properties for the future, that I can expect to eventualyl see gracing the field in a City shirt?? I know you've mentioned Odhiambo, Dodds, McKay, King and Chambers - what other quality ones are good enough to make it???

I think i'll leave this to Thracian as i've only watched the youngsters once.

Which players in our Youth/Academy teams are hot properties for the future, that I can expect to eventualyl see gracing the field in a City shirt?? I know you've mentioned Odhiambo, Dodds, McKay, King and Chambers - what other quality ones are good enough to make it???

if their all as good as people say then who says they will even grace the field in a city shirt??? they may get snatched from under our nose

Definitely:

Tom Tejan-Sie or TeeJay as he's known, industrious midfielder with plenty of skill and passing ability.

Joe Mattock - only 16 but a genuine left-back with attitude. Strong running, well capable of getting forward and a hard attitude.

Possibly:

Joe Magunda - right back with a good attitude. Good team player and has the strength and energy to drive forward but is steady rather than spectacular.

Ryan Beswick - looks a bit lightweight but his effect is there well enough. Delivers good ball into the box from the left-wing and has the intelligence to vary it. Easy player fpor his team-mates to understand so when they make their runs, Beswick usually delivers the pass.

Craig King - an under 16 who's played four games for the under 18's. Big lad for his age and a poent looking striker. A bit greedy for my liking right now - either that or he just isn't aware enough to spot the pass - but he does get into situations and poses a threat. Good skills.

Lathaniel Rowe-Turner - big strong right-sided winger with some clever skills. Not seen him much and so far his impression has been greater than his effect but he does show promise.

Someone's also mentioned Alieu Jailow to me. One goal in only a couple of appearances but I've never seen him so it's just a name to note for now.

It was interesting at the meeting last night that the club officials were more concerned about the lack of regular reserves football more from the youngsters development point of view rather than as a vehiclefor returning first teamers to full fitness.

There was some support for a Midlands Reserve alliance of sorts - whether as a formal League or something more casual - beacuse there are plenty of potential opposition teams in the Midlands and all sorts of reasons why long reserve trips as in the previous League were not favoured.

I got the impression it the germ of the idea would need working on and fast.

Definitely:

Tom Tejan-Sie or TeeJay as he's known, industrious midfielder with plenty of skill and passing ability.

Joe Mattock - only 16 but a genuine left-back with attitude. Strong running, well capable of getting forward and a hard attitude.

Possibly:

Joe Magunda - right back with a good attitude. Good team player and has the strength and energy to drive forward but is steady rather than spectacular.

Ryan Beswick - looks a bit lightweight but his effect is there well enough. Delivers good ball into the box from the left-wing and has the intelligence to vary it. Easy player fpor his team-mates to understand so when they make their runs, Beswick usually delivers the pass.

Craig King - an under 16 who's played four games for the under 18's. Big lad for his age and a poent looking striker. A bit greedy for my liking right now - either that or he just isn't aware enough to spot the pass - but he does get into situations and poses a threat. Good skills.

Lathaniel Rowe-Turner - big strong right-sided winger with some clever skills. Not seen him much and so far his impression has been greater than his effect but he does show promise.

Someone's also mentioned Alieu Jailow to me. One goal in only a couple of appearances but I've never seen him so it's just a name to note for now.

I'm not suggesting for one minute that these aren't good youth players but you have to put it into perspective!

Go to most clubs and you'll see the same sort of talent, it's how you bring that talent up to Premiership/Championship standard that matters.

It was interesting at the meeting last night that the club officials were more concerned about the lack of regular reserves football more from the youngsters development point of view rather than as a vehiclefor returning first teamers to full fitness.

There was some support for a Midlands Reserve alliance of sorts - whether as a formal League or something more casual - beacuse there are plenty of potential opposition teams in the Midlands and all sorts of reasons why long reserve trips as in the previous League were not favoured.

I got the impression it the germ of the idea would need working on and fast.

A good idea but only if you can get the other Midlands Clubs to agree to it.

Now seriously how many of them do you think WILL make it.

Too many players have been hyped up so much only to be let go for nothing, tomi petrescu and tommy wright come to mind

There are so many factors.

Who's in charge, who's in the team to keep any youngsters out, whether they even get an opportunity that can be described as such, how they go with injuries (Chambers has been out much of this season), the youngsters own attitudes when they start meeting girls, going on the town with their pals, having a bit of money, get away from parental influence etc.

Also how much the club wants these kids to succeed and how much faith they dare or are prepared to show in them.

But of Odhiambo, Chambers, McKay, King, Tejan-Sie, Mattock, Magunda, I really think three will come through.

Mattock, Andy King and Tejan-Sie would be my best bets. Chambers could/should get through if his knees hold up but I certainly wouldn't write off the other three either.

Another thing that matters if whether the style they play in the Academy compliments the style of the first team. It's so much harder if it doesn't.

There are so many factors.

Who's in charge, who's in the team to keep any youngsters out, whether they even get an opportunity that can be described as such, how they go with injuries (Chambers has been out much of this season), the youngsters own attitudes when they start meeting girls, going on the town with their pals, having a bit of money, get away from parental influence etc.

Also how much the club wants these kids to succeed and how much faith they dare or are prepared to show in them.

But of Odhiambo, Chambers, McKay, King, Tejan-Sie, Mattock, Magunda, I really think three will come through.

Mattock, Andy King and Tejan-Sie would be my best bets. Chambers could/should get through if his knees hold up but I certainly wouldn't write off the other three either.

Another thing that matters if whether the style they play in the Academy compliments the style of the first team. It's so much harder if it doesn't.

What about Gradel? will he make it?

Sorry, forgot all about him.

What a dificult question.

Wingers that do what he does - doubles figure goal tallies every season (11 in half this season) and in the way he does it - taking people on and shooting on sight - are precious. Or at least they should be.

But you only have to read this and other forums to know that a guy who charges about and clatters people - whether in a scoreless draw or not - is always more appreciated than some fairy feet - who just scores and makes goals.

Even the genius that was LeTissier got criticised because he was no chaser.

So me. I'd love having Gradel around. On the bench to begin with. Fill him full of confidence and let's see if he could find the same chinks in Championship defenders as he's dscovered in Academy and Reserves opponents .

But no. In the end, if I had to bet, I don't think he'll be accommodated in modern football.

It's the insurance question really. Gradel is no genius like LeTissier nor is he even just brilliant like Walcott or Lennon.

He's fast, skillful, direct, effective but he offers little insurance when he's lost the ball and his temperament can affect his concentration.

I couldn't give a shit. What sodding insurance did Low or Sylla ever offer?

And anyway I'd have fit, fast defenders. But Kelly's got oil tankers - at least two every game that are laboriously slow turning - and until he gets thoroughbreds he'll feel the need to protect them.

Hence the midfielders Hughes and Porter on our flanks.

There's not much more Gradel can do. He's scored goals consistently at every level beneath the first team internally. He would've/should've been sent out on loan before now if he was ever going to be used by Kelly. If he didn't require a loan spell then that would indicate that he was good enough for the first team already. If Kelly thought he was, he'd have played him by now so I feel Gradel's missed the boat. Dodds has scoredat every level beneath the first team internally and at conference level on loan and still isn't getting a sniff. Some players don't go on loan. Stearman, Porter and Wesolowski have made the step-up without a loan spell, although it was rumoured Porter would go up to Scotland on loan last season but it never came about for whatever reason. Others like Logan and O'Grady were sent on loan to aid their development. Neither of these two options have been taken up by the club for Gradel which makes me think he won't make it here under Kelly.

There's not much more Gradel can do. He's scored goals consistently at every level beneath the first team internally. He would've/should've been sent out on loan before now if he was ever going to be used by Kelly. If he didn't require a loan spell then that would indicate that he was good enough for the first team already. If Kelly thought he was, he'd have played him by now so I feel Gradel's missed the boat. Dodds has scoredat every level beneath the first team internally and at conference level on loan and still isn't getting a sniff. Some players don't go on loan. Stearman, Porter and Wesolowski have made the step-up without a loan spell, although it was rumoured Porter would go up to Scotland on loan last season but it never came about for whatever reason. Others like Logan and O'Grady were sent on loan to aid their development. Neither of these two options have been taken up by the club for Gradel which makes me think he won't make it here under Kelly.

Then I would suggest they don't do anything until RK's future is clear at City. ;):thumbup:

I know little about our kids but I must admit that a big grin appears on my face when I check there results and they win, with many games showing great character and coming back from a goal or two behind to get a result.

I think that its crucial that we start loaning these kids out to get first team experience because historically loads of players mature so quickly after there loan spells that they go from nowhere to regular starters. Examples recently can be found at Arsenal who have reaped the rewards of loaning out the likes of Larrson to Brum, Stokes to Falkirk, Hoyte to Sunderland, (and about another 20 lol) and they either get back players ready for the first team squad of players they can (and have) sold on.

Get them out of loan and get a bloody reserve team!

Get them out of loan and get a bloody reserve team!

Agreed, a midland reserve league (throw in east anglia as well!) would be a very good thing indeed, but we'll need to sort that out with other clubs... but thats the crux of it we need the agreement of other clubs, and i'm not sure our current leadership at the club could strech to that kind of industry frankly!... either way it'd be a massive help and neednt be limited to the Championship, put together a midlands league with the championship clubs and the League One clubs and you'd be set IMHO.

Agreed, a midland reserve league (throw in east anglia as well!) would be a very good thing indeed, but we'll need to sort that out with other clubs... but thats the crux of it we need the agreement of other clubs, and i'm not sure our current leadership at the club could strech to that kind of industry frankly!... either way it'd be a massive help and neednt be limited to the Championship, put together a midlands league with the championship clubs and the League One clubs and you'd be set IMHO.

Hopefully if MM comes in he`ll stump up the cash to get us in a reserve league. I agree a regional league would be a good idea but some of the other teams mentioned probably havent the financial restraints we have so wouldnt need to make it regional?

Archived