Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
I8AM

Defensive partnership

McAuley and Kisnorbo in Foxestalk player of the season short list of 3.

Are they the best partnership we have?

Are they a good PARTNERSHIP?

Is McCarthy better?

As a unit the defence has looked awful and disjointed. Maybe some good individual performances, but not together.

Your opinions.

Yes McAuley and Kisnorbo are the best partnership but if you havent got it right at full-back or keep changing those positions then the centre of defence can look as bad as the rest. The great defences like Arsenals under Graham were solid and hardly ever changed and you only have to look at how Chelsea threw away points this season when there defense was disrupted or even see how Man Utd were all over the place when a couple of there first team defenders were missing.

Im sure that they would be a good defensive partnership if they had a solid base around them but at this time, I think we can add a better class player with Premiership experience to bolster the centre of defence.

Paddy Mac should be no more than a reserve as he is too limited IMO.

Yeah for sure. The Wolves game highlighted a lack of tracking from midfield, so they were trying to deal with Wolves breaking midfielders. A shout for 3 in the middle with 1 holding.

Guest ttfn
McAuley and Kisnorbo in Foxestalk player of the season short list of 3.

Are they the best partnership we have?

Are they a good PARTNERSHIP?

Is McCarthy better?

As a unit the defence has looked awful and disjointed. Maybe some good individual performances, but not together.

Your opinions.

TOTALLY agree. Kisnorbo and McAuley both good defenders in their own right but EVERY DEFENCE NEEDS AN ORGANISER. That's what McCarthy is. And he's a bloody fantastic one at that (for this division). Every top defence has one - Carragher at Liverpool, Rio at United, Terry at Chelsea, Nesta at AC Milan. These are the players which ensure a solid shape to the back four and make it harder to breach.

They're good centre backs but we need someone at the back that stamps his authority on the game, rarely makes mistakes and scares the shit out of the opposition. Pace would be a good thing as well.

This has been done to death I feel. Still, I think having Kisnorbo and McAuley both in the player of the season poll, with absolutely no mention of McCarthy or anybody else anywhere, it has to be assumed that we as a collective rate Kisnorbo and McAuley as our best CB pairing. Stands to reason doesn't it?

tbh I think mcauley and kisnorbo play together quite well at centre-back, and they're great when it comes to corners. I think that really we need to defensive wing-backs with kisnorbo and mcauley slightly pushing up the pitch a little, but falling backw hen neccessary

tbh I think mcauley and kisnorbo play together quite well at centre-back, and they're great when it comes to corners. I think that really we need to defensive wing-backs with kisnorbo and mcauley slightly pushing up the pitch a little, but falling backw hen neccessary

When you say great at corners I assume you mean attacking them at the other end??

This has been done to death I feel. Still, I think having Kisnorbo and McAuley both in the player of the season poll, with absolutely no mention of McCarthy or anybody else anywhere, it has to be assumed that we as a collective rate Kisnorbo and McAuley as our best CB pairing. Stands to reason doesn't it?

Sorry gonna have to disagree. If you think just because players are highly rated means they make the best pairing then please be reminded of evidence of how this doesn't work...........Lampard and Gerrard in the middle for England. Arguably they would receive the highest polls to be in the middle of the park. Yet as a pairing they are ineffective. As a partnership Kisnorbo and McAuley just don't have the effectiveness edge for me.

Sorry gonna have to disagree. If you think just because players are highly rated means they make the best pairing then please be reminded of evidence of how this doesn't work...........Lampard and Gerrard in the middle for England. Arguably they would receive the highest polls to be in the middle of the park. Yet as a pairing they are ineffective. As a partnership Kisnorbo and McAuley just don't have the effectiveness edge for me.

Thats different tho - they dont work together because they are both very attacking midfielders so when together there is no holding player. Thats not a concern with two CB's.

Fair point I suppose and I can see why you'd disagree for those reasons. Though I do feel that Lampard is only so effective for Chelsea when he has a top quality holding midfielder sitting in behind him, i.e. Makelele.

Anyways back to the issue at hand, who would you say are our best CB pairing? McCarthy has been slated numerous times on this board for being utter shite and losing his head at crucial times for us. Kenton can run but he can't do much else. And Nisse hasn't looked all that impressive at CB even though it's his preferred position.

Thats different tho - they dont work together because they are both very attacking midfielders so when together there is no holding player. Thats not a concern with two CB's.

positional awarness of each other.......offside trap..........covering..........etc etc sorry but whilst they may be CB's they still need to gel as a unit along with fullbacks.

positional awarness of each other.......offside trap..........covering..........etc etc sorry but whilst they may be CB's they still need to gel as a unit along with fullbacks.

Yeah i agree they need to gel, but im just sayin that a centre back is a centre back, you dont have attacking or defensive centre backs, so the comparison to Lampard and Gerrard is not quite the same thing.

Fair point I suppose and I can see why you'd disagree for those reasons. Though I do feel that Lampard is only so effective for Chelsea when he has a top quality holding midfielder sitting in behind him, i.e. Makelele.

Anyways back to the issue at hand, who would you say are our best CB pairing? McCarthy has been slated numerous times on this board for being utter shite and losing his head at crucial times for us. Kenton can run but he can't do much else. And Nisse hasn't looked all that impressive at CB even though it's his preferred position.

Bingo - the nail has been hit on the head. I don't think we have a good pairing amongst them. And in any case we need a couple of good pairings, like Keown, Adams, Bould. They could all play in any pair. That said Keown didn't look a patch of the player down here that he did when he had Adams next to him. Similar to your post re Lampard and Makele, which I agree with.

It seems that all of these younger centre backs we have had recently all with some ability but all need organising by someone with more experience, Matt Heath etc. I will stick my neck on the line and say I would prefer a leader to play with Kisnorbo and take charge of him. Who? who knows? But a Carragher/Terry type player in the Championship. Any thoughts?

Most people rate Ksnorbo as the best defender at this club, right?

Well that means its a toss up between the two (McAuley and McCarthy). I would say that McAuley is by far the better player as would most.

McCarthy may shout and scream but at the end of the day, that doesnt make you a good player and if you're not good eough, no amount of shouting is goin to make you good.

End of argument. McAuley is better. He isnt as vocal as McCarthy no - but he is better at every other attribute that you need to be a good Championship Centre-half.

McCarthy is very limited.

And everyone knows it.

Most people rate Ksnorbo as the best defender at this club, right?

Well that means its a toss up between the two (McAuley and McCarthy). I would say that McAuley is by far the better player as would most.

McCarthy may shout and scream but at the end of the day, that doesnt make you a good player and if you're not good eough, no amount of shouting is goin to make you good.

End of argument. McAuley is better. He isnt as vocal as McCarthy no - but he is better at every other attribute that you need to be a good Championship Centre-half.

McCarthy is very limited.

And everyone knows it.

Only one problem, Kisnorbo is on his way.

The question is.........will we sign a central defender if all the current ones stay?

We have Kisnorbo, McAuley, McCarthy, Kenton, Johannson (I'll be surprised if he doesnt leave), even Stearman used to be a centre back.

With the likely departure of Johannson, we will sign a left sided defender which means Kisnorbo and McAuley will resume their partnership next season until one of them gets injured/suspended/plays crap.

Kisnorbo will miss the first game anyway so presumably McCarthy will have a chance to cement a place in the team and win back the captaincy.

Discuss/ridicule/agree

Centre-half isn't our biggest problem - the midfield needs the most intense remodelling.

I'd be surprised if we sign another centre-half, even if we do lose Johansson.

Perhaps if Kenton is ushered out of the club for being crocked all the time, perhaps we'll look for a shiny new centre-half... but I guess it depends what we do for the full-back positions - RB in particular, perhaps... if we sign a new first choice RB, perhaps Stearman will be used as cover at RB and CB...

Centre-half isn't our biggest problem - the midfield needs the most intense remodelling.

I'd be surprised if we sign another centre-half, even if we do lose Johansson.

Perhaps if Kenton is ushered out of the club for being crocked all the time, perhaps we'll look for a shiny new centre-half... but I guess it depends what we do for the full-back positions - RB in particular, perhaps... if we sign a new first choice RB, perhaps Stearman will be used as cover at RB and CB...

I was told by an internal club source that Kenton was regarded as "being lazy".

Archived