Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thracian

Academy match ratings:

Carl Pentney 7 (Although perhaps at fault for the corner and certainly a bit indecisive at times he made one or two important saves and was a hero in the penalty shoot out with an excellent save from Sunderland's first effort which quietened the crowd and gave City vital impetus).

Lee Cox 8 (Started at right back but was drafted into midfield to combat Sunderland dominance and later had to subdue the dangerous Luscombe. Largely succeeded on both counts. Looked sharp and determined in everthing he did. One tackle even made the crowd shudder - and it hurt him - but he soldiered on to finish his job.)

Scott Lycett 6.5 (Mixed day for Scott. Couple of important blocks and created a terrific chance for McKay but never looked entirely comfortable against difficult opposition and twice left his team under pressure by being caught in possession).

Scott Garner 5.5 (As the Sunderland report says, I've no idea how he escaped a booking for his first minute tackle. Agricultural was the word for it. Won some good headers but was often under pressure against the clever, elusive and well-drilled Sunderland attack and never looked convincing. Even so - a winners medal against such opposition should be a confidence booster.).

Joe Mattock 7 (Stuck doggedly to his task but even he was up against it at times. His winning penalty might have been less than elegant but he did the main thing in keeping it down and on target despite all the pressure and, in the event, delivering the trophy. Football, in the end, is about effect. He had it).

Max Gradel 8 (Superb goal. Clever skills. A real headache for the Sunderland defence until he ran out of steam.)

Andy King 7.5 (Laid on a goal and contributed to other good things. But as the game wore on it was as a defender that he had his effect, especially his goalline headed clearance. Just a pity he had to be used so deep. Not only did it stiffle his ability it stopped Leicester always appearing to have extra men going forward which wasn't the case for much of the time yesterday).

Joe Magunda 5 (Not his best day. He didn't look comfortable or effective in midfield and found Sunderland left-winger Luscombe a persistent headache too. Subbed in the end).

Ryan Beswick 6 (Some useful contributions both in open play and from set-pieces. Eventually subbed).

Billy McKay 8.5 (Leicester MoM for me. A very intelligent footballer. Never took two touches when one would do and involved in most of Leicester's best moves. Poacher's goal. Much missed when he was subbed).

Eric Odhiambo 6.75 (Excellent first half-hour or so but never threatened when McKay went off).

Subs:

Ashley Chambers 6.5 (Some good touches at centre-forward, threatening corners too. Looked to be regaining some form after his long-term injury but still missing some pace and sharpness).

Lathaniel Rowe-Turner 5 (One tackle soon after he'd entered the fray made Garner's look saintly. In fact the Sunderland winger took so long to come clattering down his collapse was like a scene from the Hickstead showjumping. definitely four faults and definitely a booking for Lathaniel. Improved after that but it's that opening gambit I'll remember.)

Fraser Tuttle 5 (Huffed and puffed well in midfield but not on long enough to make an impression)

Referee Gary Brittain 9 (Definitely offered a little licence in repect of the occasion but refereed fairly and inconspicuously for the most part. Kept the game moving)

Looks pretty spot on that I'd say, but I'd possibly give Pentney a bit more credit for some of the saves he made which at times kept us in the game. As this was the first academy game i've seen I was particularly impressed by Gradel, really enjoyed watching him play and got that tingly expectant feeling whenever he got the ball!

Looks pretty spot on that I'd say, but I'd possibly give Pentney a bit more credit for some of the saves he made which at times kept us in the game. As this was the first academy game i've seen I was particularly impressed by Gradel, really enjoyed watching him play and got that tingly expectant feeling whenever he got the ball!

I've changed Pentney to a 7! :D

Apart from what you mention I'm forever on about effect and saving sunderland's first penalty was a key moment on reflection and deserves more recognition.

Just out of curiosity were you the tall guy in the City shirt in the block to the left of the press section?

Chambers, Gradel, Odhiambo and Mattock.. although by all accounts Mattock's wasn't quite as he intended!

Yes, generally our lads looked very composed and decisive with their penalties and I'm sure part of Mattocks thinking was that he wanted to make sure his shot stayed low and on target...especially having seen the Sunderland centre-half scoop his effort high, weak and wide. He succeeded but, in perhaps making more than certain, just scuffed the shot a bit.

Sunderland fans

-

kevinphillips Posted on 20/5 18:50
Email this Message | Reply re: Champions! Lads, you missed a good game of football today. Obviously I know it's a canny hike for you lot but it was a great game. Both sides looked very professional and it was a different class to that dross that was served up yesterday!

Leicester played some canny football in the first half but you were battered in the second and in extra time. I couldn't believe we lost. Obviously when it goes to penalties it's anyones, but apart from one, your penalties were fantastic.

Your star player I would say was your right winger...he's number 7, a black lad. Very quick and quite skilfull. He was dangerous in the first half but lost his way in the second.

Overall, a good game of football.

c_hackworth Posted on 21/5 9:51Email this Message | Reply re: Champions! was a cracking game, 2 honest teams trying their very best unlike the fa cup final. end to end football and plenty of chances.

good luck to the Leicester team in Dallas (am sure i read the winners get to represent England in Dallas.

number 7 for you lot was a tricky little player.

centre back number 5 (i think) no way is he under 18, he was huge

Leicester Crowned Champions

Written by Thracian (Foxestalk)

Sunday, 20 May 2007

The headline many Tigers fans hoped for today, but instead it’s the Leicester City Academy U18’s who travelled to Sunderland and came back as the top Academy side in the Country being crowned Premium League Champions.

Thracian from the Foxestalk message board made the journey North and provides his assessment of the day

Sunderland 2 City 2 (aet) City Won 4-3 on penalties

Super game, drama almost from first kick til Mattock's winning penalty in the shoot out - and the joyous outcome was that Leicester head to a prestigious international tournament in Dallas, USA as Academy League champions.

Max Gradel stunned the 4,597 crowd in the fourth minute with his 19th goal in 21 matches and what a goal it was - a sublime fast-passing move down the right involving Eric Odhiambo and Billy McKay before Gradel cut inside and unleashed an unstoppable left footer.

Hopes of a typical Leicester onslaught disappeared immediately however as, within a minute Sunderland won a corner and Jordan Henderson's high and curling cross deceived Carl Pentney passing over his head and into the far corner of the net. One-one with five minutes gone.

Leicester left-winger Ryan Beswick then had what looked like a reasonable claim for a penalty turned down barely two minutes later and that's how the game developed. Opportunities were as numerous as the Chance cards in a monopoly game…..

Last Updated ( Sunday, 20 May 2007 )

Read more...

[topic=http://foxestrust.co.uk/site/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1&limit=4&limitstart=4]http://foxestrust.co.uk/site/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1&limit=4&limitstart=4[/topic]

I was at the game and reckon your sum up is about correct,

well done to all the city fans who made the journey and well done to the players for bringing some light to our poor first teamers !! :clap::worship:

Archived