Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Kilworthfox

Downpour fails to spoil Blue Army's night put

Torrential rain and uncovered terracing could not dampen the spirits of the travelling Blue Army on their first visit to Accrington Stanley's Fraser Eagle Stadium.

Leicester City fans turned up in their numbers for last night's Carling Cup first-round clash, seemingly looking to turn the first game between the two sides into an occasion.

Around 1,000 City supporters made the journey to deepest Lancashire and were warmed by City's first win of the season - even if they were soaked to the skin by the heavy rain.

The City supporters were mainly housed in the small Coppice Terrace, on the south of the ground, which was open to the elements. But that did not dampen their enthusiasm and they were in fine voice long before the kick-off.

Indeed, their pre-match calls for Martin Allen to “give us a wave'' were granted.

Summer signing Jimmy Nielsen, the Danish goalkeeper, appeared amused by his new terrace chant, and the giant drum that has made its home at the back of L1 had made its way to Accrington and was in full cry.

At the other end, work has yet to be completed on the roof of the Clayton Terrace which meant that the Accrington fans also had to brave the weather.

However, one local enjoyed the game from the comfort of his home on an adjacent estate, peering from a bedroom window.

It was at that end that James Wesolowski struck to give City a fourth-minute lead.

But City's first goal of the new campaign was missed by many fans, who were still making their way into the ground as the Australian drilled home from the edge of the box.

A short while later and the heavens opened to deposit the first downpour on proceedings.

And a hardy group stripped off for the elements, swinging their tops around their heads.

City manager Martin Allen said he was “chuffed'' to send the fans home with a win and put City into the next round.

“How many people from Leicester were here tonight, standing in the pouring rain?'' queried Allen. “It was a fantastic show of support. I was chuffed to bits. It's given them something to go at.''

:cool: you know who you are

This was brilliant

The guys next to me were mental, and your're right, it was a great atmosphere, especially in the first half - "Mad dog's barmy army and constant drum for 10 minutes :D

We got soaked,you could see the clouds coming in...funny as fook though..bit like it used to be in the good old days...in fact Notts County years ago! :unsure:

There's an arm in front of your face isn't there? :D Thrac's brolly almost blocked me out but failed!

I don't know, I was stood next to you when that was taken I imagine and can't see me.

I blame the smallness, but if there was use of an arm, I won't be pleased.

Good little pic in the Mercury to go with this article. Can spot quite a few FTers on it including Tommeh and myself.

I can't wait to see this photo now, it may even upstage the Results!

Great atmosphere 1st half in particular. When it pissed it down for the 15 minutes it felt like real football and the chanting was non stop and brilliant, I'm sure I wasn't the only one wishing the rain would come back 2nd half.

I can't wait to see this photo now, it may even upstage the Results!

Great atmosphere 1st half in particular. When it pissed it down for the 15 minutes it felt like real football and the chanting was non stop and brilliant, I'm sure I wasn't the only one wishing the rain would come back 2nd half.

No, no you weren't.

No, no you weren't.

I had a feeling that was the case. Probably you and ched looking up at the clouds and saying "oo I hope that one comes our way"

It did die down a little 2nd half although when Accrington Stanley are setting up base camp inside your penalty area and doing everything except put the bugger in the back of the net, it is hard to keep the mementon going.

If I had a scanner which worked I would do but I don't. Put out a plea for the picture on page 47 of the Mercury to be scanned and I'm sure someone will deliver :thumbup:

A Plea

Can someone scan the picture on page 47 from todays mercury please.

Archived