Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Milky

You can't be offside from a goal kick

Came across this in the Observer. Keith Hackett - "You cannot be offside from a goal kick. I'm often amazed that players and managers aren't aware that players can't be offside from a goal kick. Some teams still fail to take advantage of Law 11 and push there players up into offside positions to gain an advantage."

Now, as a huge fan and follower of the game, not to mention how many games i've played, how the hell did i not know this rule. Unbelievable. :huh::blush:

Am i the only fool not aware of this?

If the kick is from the ground you cannot be of side! If the keeper kicks from his hands you can be offside ;)

If the kick is from the ground you cannot be of side! If the keeper kicks from his hands you can be offside ;)
correct

Unless he's taking a free kick.

No :dunno::S

yeah your correct also davie . I think kilworth was talking about a goal kick , he complicated issues by mentioning that you can be offside from a kick out of keeper hands which i would have thought most people knew , but i suppose it was a fair point

yeah your correct also davie . I think kilworth was talking about a goal kick , he complicated issues by mentioning that you can be offside from a kick out of keeper hands which i would have thought most people knew , but i suppose it was a fair point

I was being pedantic :D

another ruling not many people know about to do with offsides

I'm Pretty sure The official ruling is that technically it was 2 defenders had to be goal side for someone to NOT be offside. One of them usually being the GK.

So, you can have a defender on the line, goalie rushes out misses the ball, attacker passes to someone closer to the goal than the goalie and that is technically offside. No Goal.

I wonder if that rule has been changed recently? I'm not sure but that was the ruling up until a couple of years ago...

I think it has always been two opposing players have to be ahead of you for you to be onside, unless of course the ball is played backwards or it's from a goal kick/throw in.

Didn't know the goalkeeper rule. I never understand why all the players move to one side of the pitch when a goal kick is being taken, I would love to see both wingers hug the line, spread their midfield out a bit and give the ball a good hoof.

another ruling not many people know about to do with offsides

I'm Pretty sure The official ruling is that technically it was 2 defenders had to be goal side for someone to NOT be offside. One of them usually being the GK.

So, you can have a defender on the line, goalie rushes out misses the ball, attacker passes to someone closer to the goal than the goalie and that is technically offside. No Goal.

I wonder if that rule has been changed recently? I'm not sure but that was the ruling up until a couple of years ago...

yeah still is the rule , only ever seen a ref give offside once and everybody went ballistic at him even though he was spot on as the keeper had gone up for a corner

Archived