Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Milky

You can't be offside from a goal kick

Came across this in the Observer. Keith Hackett - "You cannot be offside from a goal kick. I'm often amazed that players and managers aren't aware that players can't be offside from a goal kick. Some teams still fail to take advantage of Law 11 and push there players up into offside positions to gain an advantage."

Now, as a huge fan and follower of the game, not to mention how many games i've played, how the hell did i not know this rule. Unbelievable. :huh::blush:

Am i the only fool not aware of this?

Came across this in the Observer. Keith Hackett - "You cannot be offside from a goal kick. I'm often amazed that players and managers aren't aware that players can't be offside from a goal kick. Some teams still fail to take advantage of Law 11 and push there players up into offside positions to gain an advantage."

Now, as a huge fan and follower of the game, not to mention how many games i've played, how the hell did i not know this rule. Unbelievable. :huh::blush:

Am i the only fool not aware of this?

No you're not. Many a time i've seen a flag raised from a goal kick. Surely others have to.

Did not know this at all.

Didn't realise either, knew you couldn't be from a throw in (and seen that exploited from time to time)

But it's a good idea, stops the defence pushing right up to make a long kick virtually pointless.

Yes, route one does have it's uses! :thumbup:

Had an incident this year where our linemans flagged but ref overuled and said cant be offside from a goalkick. i was livid as i was the defender that had stepped up but the ref was correct .

now i consider myself as a bit of a football encyclopiedia and was a bit miffed myself that i didnt know that. i also thought for a indirect free kick that the ball had to move a full circumfrance once it had been touched but apparently that rule has now changed and any kind of touch will do

Had an incident this year where our linemans flagged but ref overuled and said cant be offside from a goalkick. i was livid as i was the defender that had stepped up but the ref was correct .

now i consider myself as a bit of a football encyclopiedia and was a bit miffed myself that i didnt know that. i also thought for a indirect free kick that the ball had to move a full circumfrance once it had been touched but apparently that rule has now changed and any kind of touch will do

Yeah, I don't like that rule at all. Indirect is indirect - not a nudge and a shot! Even a whole ciurcumference isn't enough, should be a yard or two at least.

We should use this. Alnwick's kick is huge. Get one of the wingers to go and stand on the edge of the opposition area.

Screw that, get one of our attackers on the oppositions goal line! haha

Oh and i didnt know that either! lol

We should use this. Alnwick's kick is huge. Get one of the wingers to go and stand on the edge of the opposition area.

Are you sure? I've never seen any goalkeeper reach that far from a goal-kick.

Are you sure? I've never seen any goalkeeper reach that far from a goal-kick.

Perhaps not from goal-kicks on reflection but he does get incredible distance on all his kicks. He always strikes them on the half-volley too so his goal-kicks shouldn't be that much shorter than his kicks out of hand. Either way it's a good weapon when you have Howard up front.

Perhaps not from goal-kicks on reflection but he does get incredible distance on all his kicks. He always strikes them on the half-volley too so his goal-kicks shouldn't be that much shorter than his kicks out of hand. Either way it's a good weapon when you have Howard up front.

Good answer. I get the feeling some on here are confusing the two.

I always assumed the no offside from a goal kick rules was for players on the opposing side to the keeper only.

You can't just kick the ball to your own centre forwards and hope for the best can you? :unsure:

I'm not sure what you're saying but the opposing players cannot be offside because;

a) An opposing player kicked it.

b) The ball would be travelling backwards (from their point of view).

I'm not sure what you're saying but the opposing players cannot be offside because;

a) An opposing player kicked it.

b) The ball would be travelling backwards (from their point of view).

Exactly ;)

........................but can you be offside if your keeper kicks it to you in the oppositions half? :unsure:

Exactly ;)

........................but can you be offside if your keeper kicks it to you in the oppositions half? :unsure:

I always thought you could, and I'm sure I remember players being offside from goalkicks in the past, though not recently. Perhaps it's one of the many rule changes we get every year.

Our club gets a book at the start of every season with new rules but its the same as when you get instructions with your new electrical item nobody reads them :D

Archived