Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Champions League - FFS

Just give them a Cup each and cancel the matches :mad:

Man Utd call for European revamp

Manchester United want the format of the Champions League changed to help more big clubs reach the last eight.

United lost in the first knockout stage this season, as did Real Madrid, Barcelona and holders Porto.

United chief executive David Gill said: "At the moment we effectively have a random draw after the group stage.

"Maybe we should use a system where the holders are rated number one and they play the 16th ranked team, number two versus 15, and so on."

You can't afford to have Real Madrid and Manchester United going out in the last 16

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger

Gill is concerned that the competition will lose some of its pulling power if the 'glamour' clubs go out early.

He added: "It's not good for the big clubs, not good for TV and sponsors if there are no Spanish clubs in the quarter-finals.

"When the draw for the group stage is made, each club's co-efficient is used.

"Given it is unlikely we will ever go back to a situation of having two group stages, maybe we should use a system during the knock-out phase that also reflects the rankings.

"AC Milan were discussing this before we played them, so it is not a knee-jerk reaction."

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger, whose side also exited the competition at the first knockout phase, is another calling for changes.

He said: "You can't afford to have Real Madrid and Manchester United - big clubs who invest so much money - going out in the last 16.

United drew Milan purely because they were not good enough to win their group

From BM

Have your say on 606

"You will have a revolt if it continues like that.

"Seeding teams is a possibility. I don't think the formula at the moment helps the best teams.

"Maybe Uefa will use their ranking lists to influence the draw in future."

But Gill is not expecting Europe's governing body to act quickly, if they choose to act at all.

He added: "I don't think there will be any changes for next season, but it is an argument being made and I am sure Uefa will look at it."

That is a complete joke. Manchester United are a joke. They are simply not accepting the fact that they got knocked out of the tournament to a better team. If they want to avoid the big teams then how about they play well in the group stages and deservedly win the group. There would absolutely no incentive to the winners of the group stages. Each team is in that draw because they have deservedly got their. This really does annoy me :mad:

Pathetic, childish, disgraceful, and disrespectful. Just who do these wa*kers think they are trying to make uefa change the format? I am glad that Manure, the Arse(holes) and Real Madrid got knocked out. It shows wealth cannot buy the ultimate trophy in European football.

• 7 months later...

Absolutely ridiculous. For this, they deserve a battering at the hands of Chelsea and a season of abject failure, finishing with them failing to qualify for ANY European football.

On the subject of European club football tournaments.....it's all b*llocks, isn't it? No excitement, plenty of meaningless games with meaningless teams. Too many matches, empty stadiums, all geared to generate money for the G14.

Here's the NW plan©:

1 - scrap the UEFA cup. It's rubbish.

2 - Rename the Champions League...wait for it....The European Cup.

3 - 64 teams, maximum of 4 from any one country - straight knockout basis. NO SEEDING and teams from the same country can draw each other from Round 2 onwards. All games except the final over two legs.

R1-October, R2-November, R3-February, QF-March, SF-April, F-May. Max 11 games for the finalists. Every game is relevant, plenty of big European teams play each other straight off, rather than FC Thun v Total Network Solutions in Group Q etc.

Round one - AC Milan v Barcelona?...they'd sh1t themselves! I'd watch it....

Absolutely ridiculous. For this, they deserve a battering at the hands of Chelsea and a season of abject failure, finishing with them failing to qualify for ANY European football.

On the subject of European club football tournaments.....it's all b*llocks, isn't it? No excitement, plenty of meaningless games with meaningless teams. Too many matches, empty stadiums, all geared to generate money for the G14.

Here's the NW plan©:

1 - scrap the UEFA cup. It's rubbish.

2 - Rename the Champions League...wait for it....The European Cup.

3 - 64 teams, maximum of 4 from any one country - straight knockout basis. NO SEEDING and teams from the same country can draw each other from Round 2 onwards. All games except the final over two legs.

R1-October, R2-November, R3-February, QF-March, SF-April, F-May. Max 11 games for the finalists. Every game is relevant, plenty of big European teams play each other straight off, rather than FC Thun v Total Network Solutions in Group Q etc.

Round one - AC Milan v Barcelona?...they'd sh1t themselves! I'd watch it....

This is a very good idea but teams are seeded for a reason, and that reason is not having a final being played between Artmedia Bratislava versus CSKA Moscow, which could happen if this new "plan" was to be brought into action. People (majority) would much prefer to see AC Milan versus Barcelona in the final because it tops off the "showcase" event.

This is a very good idea but teams are seeded for a reason, and that reason is not having a final being played between Artmedia Bratislava versus CSKA Moscow, which could happen if this new "plan" was to be brought into action. People (majority) would much prefer to see AC Milan versus Barcelona in the final because it tops off the "showcase" event.

In that case then just seed the first 1 or 2 rounds like they do the FA Cup.

Barcelona V's FC Thun could be quite interesting ;)

Isn't that the beauty of cup football though? There would be more interest in the early (seen as meaningless) rounds if two 'giants' played each other. They would have to play their strongest sides. With fewer games, prize money for progressing through the rounds could be bigger, making it more of an incentive, also forcing 'big' clubs to use their best players.

What do we have at the minute? The Champions League with overpriced tickets, and falling attendances, so the UEFA Cup then goes down this same path? More meaningless games than you can shake a stick at. Bunch of numpties, I tells thee.

In my opinion, if it's seeded then it's not a true cup competition.

In my opinion, if it's seeded then it's not a true cup competition.

Agree - One Euro Cup, between 1 - 4 teams from each country (dependant on League), straight knock-out all teams in hat, two legs starting August - break at xmas - later stages from Feb. The good teams will shine through anyway so who cares if its AC vs Inter in the first round. Look at the FA Cup - how often have you seen a Woking v Stevenage final!

Agree - One Euro Cup, between 1 - 4 teams from each country (dependant on League), straight knock-out all teams in hat, two legs starting August - break at xmas - later stages from Feb. The good teams will shine through anyway so who cares if its AC vs Inter in the first round. Look at the FA Cup - how often have you seen a Woking v Stevenage final!

That's because the big clubs don't come into it until the 3rd round proper after all the preliminary rounds. Not that I'm for seeding like.

Isn't that the beauty of cup football though? There would be more interest in the early (seen as meaningless) rounds if two 'giants' played each other. They would have to play their strongest sides. With fewer games, prize money for progressing through the rounds could be bigger, making it more of an incentive, also forcing 'big' clubs to use their best players.

What do we have at the minute? The Champions League with overpriced tickets, and falling attendances, so the UEFA Cup then goes down this same path? More meaningless games than you can shake a stick at. Bunch of numpties, I tells thee.

I really don't know why they put the group stage in the UEFA cup. I guess they wanted it to be a mini- Champions League but with players complaining they play to much they are made to play more games which are pretty much pointless. Especially as there are 5 teams in the group and 3 go through, so you end up with only the Albanian, Macedonian, Scottish and Estonian teams going out.

I'm OK with the group stage of the Champions League being seeded but not for the final stages.

I really don't know why they put the group stage in the UEFA cup. I guess they wanted it to be a mini- Champions League but with players complaining they play to much they are made to play more games which are pretty much pointless. Especially as there are 5 teams in the group and 3 go through, so you end up with only the Albanian, Macedonian, Scottish and Estonian teams going out.

I'm OK with the group stage of the Champions League being seeded but not for the final stages.

MONEY

Well yes, they'd make Man U, Chelsea, Milan and Madrid play each other 50 times if they thought people would be interested. I can't think of any footballing reasons why they put a group stage in the UEFA cup.

There was no footballing reason to change the Europeon Champions Cup to the Champions League, there was no footballing reason to create the Premiership, so why does there have to be a footballing reason to put a group stage in the UEFA cup. It's not just Man U, Chelsea, Milan and Madrid people pay money for, Bolton and Middlesborough were both on the TV, so someones making money out of the premise that people will want to watch them.

Archived