Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
purpleronnie

I know nothing about Mobile phones!

Yeah, you ring up and ask for your PAC code and you need that in some way to transfer your number (I guess you just give it to the new network). I don't really know much though. In fact, this post is pretty useless.

I basically agree with this.

If your phone is blocked to one network you can take it to the market and get them to unblock it or if it is allready unblocked you just put a new sim in. :thumbup:

Ok cool, is there anyway of knowing if its locked? Although not sure travelling to the market from Houston would be the wisest of decisions.

thanks again.

Hopefully someone who unlike me isnt a mobile phone idiot can help me out.

How do I go about changing my mobile phone network?. I read you need a Port Authorisation code, I've also read all you need is the new networks sim card.

Please help!

What network are you on? In the States Verizon Wireless at a minimum don't use sim cards.

Ok cool, is there anyway of knowing if its locked? Although not sure travelling to the market from Houston would be the wisest of decisions.

thanks again.

What network are you on? In the States Verizon Wireless at a minimum don't use sim cards.

As placid asked, what network are you on?

If you're on a GSM network, you can relatively easily make the change... if you're on CDMA it'll be even easier because you'll need a new phone altogether. :P

http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/numbport.html

http://www.wirelessadvisor.com/wireless-lo...ber-portability

Google for wireless number portability or local number portability. The defined pattern seems to be sign up with another carrier, then start the porting (tell the new carrier the details they need to know), and THEN cancel your old service. If you cancel first, you lose your number. You may need the Port Auth. code, which should be obtainable from the customer service people on the phone, if they're feeling nice. It really depends on the carrier, I suppose.

As for your current phone, if you bought it directly from the network, it's 99.9% certain to be locked to that network. When looking to change network, just head to Wikipedia and find out what network type they operate on... if your current network is GSM and your next carrier is also GSM, you may be able to unlock your phone and just change card... if you go from a CDMA network to a GSM network or vice-versa, you have to get a new phone with the new network... no ifs, ands or buts about it.

(To find out what 'network' an operator uses... on their wikipedia entry, on the right with the company summary, you'll see "Products" - it'll be in there... at&t for example has GSM listed as a product, so they're a GSM carrier).

Archived