Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Katy

Sir Gary being sued!

I read the detailed account of the first day's proceedings and although I am no expert it looks as if Kewell is misguided in launching this action and could well suffer the fate of the unworthy litigant "10 quid damages (that's all your reputation and hurt feelings are worth) an apology(which is what he claims he asked for and didn't receive) but you pay both sides costs (£400-500k est.)"

Serve him right . If I was him I'd consider suing that scuzz-bag agent who got him involved in all these dealings.

I read the detailed account of the first day's  proceedings and although I am no expert it looks as if Kewell is misguided in launching this action and could well suffer the fate of the unworthy litigant "10 quid damages (that's all your reputation and hurt feelings are worth) an apology(which is what he claims he asked for and didn't receive)  but you pay both sides costs (£400-500k est.)"

Serve him right . If I was him I'd consider suing that scuzz-bag agent who got him involved in all these dealings.

121205[/snapback]

It's probably the same scuzz-bag agent who's encouraged Kewell to take this action.

THE jury in Harry Kewell’s libel action against TV pundit Gary Lineker was today discharged after failing to reach a verdict.

The panel of six men and six women had been deliberating for just over six hours on whether the Match Of The Day anchorman had defamed the 26-year-old Liverpool star in a July 2003 Sunday Telegraph column about his controversial transfer from Leeds.

After hearing that they could not reach a decision on which at least 10 of them were agreed, Mr Justice Eady said: "The only step I can take is to discharge you from giving a verdict in this case."

Kewell, who is in Portugal receiving medical treatment for a groin injury, was not at London’s High Court for the outcome.

After the jury was sent away, Lineker joked outside court: "It looks like a replay."

• 3 weeks later...

Make your own mind up!

...Kewell-Lineker case ends out of court

LONDON, July 4 (Reuters) - A libel action brought by Australian international Harry Kewell against former England striker Gary Lineker and the Sunday Telegraph has been settled out of court.

A High Court jury was discharged last month when it failed to reach a verdict on the action taken by Kewell after comments in a newspaper article written by Lineker over the Australian's move to Liverpool in 2003.

Kewell's solicitor Chris Farnell told Reuters on Monday that an out-of-court settlement had been reached and the two sides would not be seeking a retrial.

'We considered the judge's summing-up in the case was quite clear and precise and Harry feels that he has been vindicated,' Farnell said. 'We don't intend to comment on the terms of the settlement.'

Lineker's lawyer said neither the former England striker nor the Sunday Telegraph, had paid Kewell any compensation.

'To avoid any speculation on the subject, I can confirm that apart from my clients agreeing not to insist on Mr Kewell paying their legal costs, none of them provided anything to Mr Kewell as part of the settlement arrangements,' said Andrew Hearn in a statement.

The action was launched by Kewell after a Sunday Telegraph article by Lineker criticising the way the Australian's transfer from Leeds United to Liverpool had been handled.

The article said Kewell and his agent Bernie Mandic had 'cleverly circumvented' the sport's rules on transfer negotiations.

Arguing in court for Kewell, Andrew Monson said the article was 'totally lacking in fairness and balance' and the reader was presented with a 'one way and one eyed picture' without giving Kewell or Mandic the opportunity to defend themselves.

Make your own mind up!

...Kewell-Lineker case ends out of court

LONDON, July 4 (Reuters) - A libel action brought by Australian international Harry Kewell against former England striker Gary Lineker and the Sunday Telegraph has been settled out of court.

A High Court jury was discharged last month when it failed to reach a verdict on the action taken by Kewell after comments in a newspaper article written by Lineker over the Australian's move to Liverpool in 2003.

Kewell's solicitor Chris Farnell told Reuters on Monday that an out-of-court settlement had been reached and the two sides would not be seeking a retrial.

'We considered the judge's summing-up in the case was quite clear and precise and Harry feels that he has been vindicated,' Farnell said. 'We don't intend to comment on the terms of the settlement.'

Lineker's lawyer said neither the former England striker nor the Sunday Telegraph, had paid Kewell any compensation.

'To avoid any speculation on the subject, I can confirm that apart from my clients agreeing not to insist on Mr Kewell paying their legal costs, none of them provided anything to Mr Kewell as part of the settlement arrangements,' said Andrew Hearn in a statement.

The action was launched by Kewell after a Sunday Telegraph article by Lineker criticising the way the Australian's transfer from Leeds United to Liverpool had been handled.

The article said Kewell and his agent Bernie Mandic had 'cleverly circumvented' the sport's rules on transfer negotiations.

Arguing in court for Kewell, Andrew Monson said the article was 'totally lacking in fairness and balance' and the reader was presented with a 'one way and one eyed picture' without giving Kewell or Mandic the opportunity to defend themselves.

131776[/snapback]

two points...

firstly what is a 'one-eyed' picture??????

secondly surely this is true of many newspaper articles is it not?

Archived