Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Hitesh

GB Football Team

Source

Beckham even said he would come out of retirement to play in the game! He would be 37 at the time of the Olympics.

IMO, i would love to see a GB football team before then. Not to compete in the major tournments but like the Lions squad. Just to tour a few countires maybe or to play in a summer tournament.

stez as kat

the trouble is; fifa would love us to have a gb/uk team as it annoys a lot of countries that we have four votes at uefa and fifa. so any move towards even hinting a a gb team would fuel their fire. plus the uk is breaking up now, anyway, so i really can't see the point

There are no Scottish or Welsh players good enough to be in it though. It will mainly consist of English players with a few ROI players such as Duff.

132130[/snapback]

Hmmm yes that's right.

News flash the Republic of Ireland is NOT part of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

How ignorant can you be?

There are no Scottish or Welsh players good enough to be in it though. It will mainly consist of English players with a few ROI players such as Duff.

132130[/snapback]

Hmmm yes that's right.

News flash the Republic of Ireland is NOT part of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

How ignorant can you be?

132173[/snapback]

Don't know what you're on about! :P

132130[/snapback]

Hmmm yes that's right.

How ignorant can you be?

132173[/snapback]

ok so he made a mistake, dont be a cu*t about it!!

They said they wanted to make a GB football team just for the 2012 Olympics if London wins it. If this happened the team would be under-23 and in 7 years time so it is impossible to tell what country the players would come from. I don't think any of the countries would agree to a permanent team as it would mean they would probably have to be a united team for all competitions forever.

The starting line-up would consist entirely of English players. There would only be a handful of other players in the squad. (Riordan, Ferguson, Bellamy)

132454[/snapback]

Bellamy possibly.

The other two (and are we talking Barry, Dunc or Sarah Ferguson here?) would not even get close to the second XI.

A few wishy-washy England fans might see this as a jolly good wheeze, but I suspect anyone from Scotland or Wales would tell us to "F*** off - we're shit, but we're not being represented by Englishmen, thank you".

if you look at all the other competitions and olympics.. say for example tennis, then you have to represent GB in international events aswel, same with athletics rowing etc.

so if we were to have a GB football team, we would have to have a GB World Cup/Euro team..

I AM NOT SCOTTISH AND I AM NOT NORTHERN IRISH and even though im part welsh I DONT WANT NO SHEEP SHAGGERS REPRESENTING ME!!

nuff said ;)

i reckon they should split the team proportionally

england obv has the biggest domestic league

then scotland

then wales

then ireland

22 squad places say 7:6:5:4

then whoever is in charge picks the 11

then scotland

then wales

then ireland

133319[/snapback]

Sounds fair enough. Although i wouldnt be surprised if everyone starts complaining about which nationality the manager has to be!

then scotland

then wales

then ireland

133319[/snapback]

Sounds fair enough. Although i wouldnt be surprised if everyone starts complaining about which nationality the manager has to be!

133338[/snapback]

Has to be something completely random like Afganistanian!

Now we've got the Olympics, there's almost certainly going to be a GB football team of some description. This will obvious get everyone in Europe up in arms as they'll be calling for GB sides to combine for the main tournaments.

I'm not sure how Olympic football works and if there are any restrictions on who can play (age, capped players etc???). I wouldn't b surprised if GB enters a team of non-internationals, or even non-Premiership players as a special one-off team.

then scotland

then wales

then ireland

133319[/snapback]

133338[/snapback]

Has to be something completely random like Afganistanian!

133339[/snapback]

lol

But then again, knowing the politicians and hierachy etc it would be contraverisal etc and there would be some massive thing in the press etc!

It'll be made up of alot of second rate Players I would have thought. after the 11/12 season had finished the World cup would beggin then as soon as that finishes the olympics beggins as soon as that ends the 12/13 season would beggin again. could you see to many managers agreeing to letting their player play constantly through out the gap between the seasons?

• 1 month later...

Ok, its been a while but FIFA President has given the go ahead for this to take place!

Scotland are being awkward about it though! :rolleyes:

Fifa has said that Great Britain must enter a team at the 2012 Olympics but that each home nation's individual status will not be affected.

The idea has been mooted before but has never been adpoted because of fears that Fifa would insist on a Great Britain team at the World Cup as well.

But Fifa president Sepp Blatter said there was no danger of this happening.

"The four British associations will not lose the rights and privileges acquired back in 1947," Blatter insisted.

"They will play with one team but it is up to them how they do it.

"It can be a mixed team, it can be from just one of the home nations, whatever they want to do."

The idea of a Great Britain team has met with some opposition from the Scottish Football Association and they gave a lukewarm response to Blatter's latest move.

An SFA spokesman said: "Fifa have said before that this is a matter for the British associations to decide.

"We are not currently party to any discussions on this and we have made our views entirely clear about an Olympic team.

"So the position has not changed as far as we are concerned."

But FA executive director David Davies was more positive about Blatter's remarks.

"What Mr Blatter has said is clearly welcomed by those of us who believe we have a positive contribution to make to football and the Olympics."

The Great Britain team would be limited to players aged under 23 but three overage players would be allowed.

Link

Archived