Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LanguedocFox

The cost of watching football

The thing is it's the matchday prices which are holding us back more than season ticket sales, which are still at a decent number. I don't necessarily believe that we've sold more than last year like the club claimed, and the prices were definitely a bit severe in places considering last season, and that shouldnt have happened, but still, I think we've sold a decent number.

But the average matchday prices are very poor value, the table talks about the cheapest and the most expensive but that doesn't really paint a picture of how much your average adult/adolescent has to pay.

The only thing that would really please the fans and guarantee good attendances is just a basic drop in all prices, and the abolition of platinum fixtures. We're not a club who can afford to just have season ticket holders, like it or not we need 'part-timers' to make up a certain amount of our crowd.

There are some people who just can't justify getting season ticket and not just because of the price, some live further afield or have work commitments, so it would be completely unfair to start punishing them for that, and I can't see our numbers benefitting much from that strategy.

Obviously Season Tickets should be better value if youre planning to go to most of the games but there shouldn't be that big a gulf.

Hard to say, I suppose we'd only find out if we tested the price and looked at the results. I think we'd get quite close but wouldn't quite make 23K, but I'm just guessing there.

Also, I wasn't aware that individual match tickets were that high in Germany, I must admit that does seem quite steep. This sort of pricing system heavily encourages loyal support which must help to generate the fantastic atmosphere that exists in Bundesliga matches.

I agree, the ideas you've put forward seems very good one to me. Unfortunately it's unlikely that we, or other clubs in England, are going to go for it soon. The obsession with maximising short term profits stops this sort of sustainable idea from being put into action.

Make Season Tickets £200 but charge £50 per ticket for individual match days.

High risk strategy - question is, would you sell 23K of season tickets as a result?

You'd only have to go to 5 individual matches to justify buying a ST at those rates so I reckon you'd probably get near to a sell out but they wouldn't all be turning up for games so your attendance would vary somewhere between 23K and a full house depending on the circumstances of the game but the club will have got nearly all it's matchday income up front before the season kicks off.

Archived