Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LanguedocFox

The cost of watching football

I think that table makes our prices look better than they are, our cheapest tickets are ok but we all know which group of people qualify for those. I'd like to see a column for the average adult ticket, I'd assume we'd be one of the worst in our league.

Can't believe how bad Ipswich's are, they've been mediocre for years as well.

the way modern football clubs and some businesses are run makes me want to literally vomit all over my face.

why the fvck would anyone need to borrow money to keep a business going? clue: if you're borrowing money, you're not succeeding.

the way modern football clubs and some businesses are run makes me want to literally vomit all over my face.

why the fvck would anyone need to borrow money to keep a business going? clue: if you're borrowing money, you're not succeeding.

The problem is, the way things are set up means that the people running the 'business' only risk not making money vs making lots of money. At the end of the day, when the well runs dry and the tax man makes his move, their house in the Cotswalds and Cayman Islands bank accounts are all perfectly safe, so what do they care?

I've blogged an indirect response to this survey.

Nice read, very insightful into the trend towards middle-class supporters and clubs' reasons for driving that trend, but when you say "Football clubs [should] be focusing on retaining ALL fans, shouldn’t they?", you've kinda answered your own question earlier in the blog when you made the point that "there is an increase in fans with higher disposable incomes, who are willing to pay more for their entertainment". Fans need to stand up and let clubs know that they aren't willing to be milked of their extra cash - until they do so, clubs will continue to charge as much as they can.

Before anyone chimes in to tell me I'm being naive, in no way do I think it's a trend which will be reversed. Money guides (ridiculous) behaviour: you only need to go to the M&Ms megastore in Leicester Square to see how out of hand capitalist endeavours get.

Guest BlueBrett
That has very little to do with why they go bust, if they thought they could make more money by dropping prices they would.

They can do all the projections they like but nobody will really know for sure until they try it. If a L1 club slashed prices dramatically and put effort into marketing themselves as the best value team in the country I wouldn't be surprised to see them coming close to sell outs.

They can do all the projections they like but nobody will really know for sure until they try it. If a L1 club slashed prices dramatically and put effort into marketing themselves as the best value team in the country I wouldn't be surprised to see them coming close to sell outs.

But the economics has to be right, if you slash prices even selling out the game might not make you more money.

My nearest team is Montpellier (last year's French champions) and their tickets range in price from 10€ to 50€ (roughly, £8.50 to £44). The ground is subsidised by the local municipality, who regard it as being an asset to the local community. Maybe that's the difference?

Just more evidence of what a joke English football has turned into.

It honestly depresses me, we pay more and get far, far worse off the pitch - and are getting relatively worse on it (IMO).

I could put up with losing a few "stars" if football became more like German.

Agree with you there Dan, but although I'm probably biased - given that In general I love the Bundesliga and could bore you all on why I feel the need to spend hundreds of pounds travelling to see Dortmund several times a season to actually enjoy football again - I actually don't think the quality is much, if at all, lower than we have here. 

Not that Sky would let you believe that an 'average German side' could come over here and all but embarrass the English champions or anything...

I'd also like to mention that yes, ST/single match prices look great in Germany, but try getting your hands on one. Most terraces are ST only with huge waiting lists, so very few casuals actually benefit from cheap ticket pricing. To clarify, they nail the part-timers.

It is by no means perfect over there and if the DFB (German FA) have their way - 'blind worship of the Taylor Report' said 1.FC Union Berlin in midweek - standing areas may become a dying breed over there. Can't see it happening but it's worth knowing they have similar cretins running football to those that run the game here.

I'd also like to mention that yes, ST/single match prices look great in Germany, but try getting your hands on one. Most terraces are ST only with huge waiting lists, so very few casuals actually benefit from cheap ticket pricing. To clarify, they nail the part-timers.

This wouldn't bother me too much, I think the committed fans should benefit the most and have greater privileges than the casuals. If you don't watch the team week in week out then you probably won't be too devastated about being unable to get a ticket every now and then, unfortunate for those people who intend to go to a few games a season but I do feel that the ST holders should be prioritised.

This wouldn't bother me too much, I think the committed fans should benefit the most and have greater privileges than the casuals. If you don't watch the team week in week out then you probably won't be too devastated about being unable to get a ticket every now and then, unfortunate for those people who intend to go to a few games a season but I do feel that the ST holders should be prioritised.

Make Season Tickets £200 but charge £50 per ticket for individual match days.

High risk strategy - question is, would you sell 23K of season tickets as a result?

Make Season Tickets £200 but charge £50 per ticket for individual match days.

High risk strategy - question is, would you sell 23K of season tickets as a result?

Hard to say, I suppose we'd only find out if we tested the price and looked at the results. I think we'd get quite close but wouldn't quite make 23K, but I'm just guessing there.

Also, I wasn't aware that individual match tickets were that high in Germany, I must admit that does seem quite steep. This sort of pricing system heavily encourages loyal support which must help to generate the fantastic atmosphere that exists in Bundesliga matches.

Agree with you there Dan, but although I'm probably biased - given that In general I love the Bundesliga and could bore you all on why I feel the need to spend hundreds of pounds travelling to see Dortmund several times a season to actually enjoy football again - I actually don't think the quality is much, if at all, lower than we have here.

Not that Sky would let you believe that an 'average German side' could come over here and all but embarrass the English champions or anything...

It is by no means perfect over there and if the DFB (German FA) have their way - 'blind worship of the Taylor Report' said 1.FC Union Berlin in midweek - standing areas may become a dying breed over there. Can't see it happening but it's worth knowing they have similar cretins running football to those that run the game here.

Oh definitely, I used to say the one thing we had over the Germans was the standard of the league but I'm seriously beginning to question even that now, that Dortmund game was yet another eye opener and whilst Man City did have an off-day, I wasn't as shocked as the majority, Dortmund are a cracking side built on youth, exciting football and incredible support, I've got a shit load more respect for them than I'll ever have for the likes of Man City and especially Chelsea who just buy anyone that's in fashion.

Lets not forget that Bayern v Chelsea game - no-one came out of that thinking Chelsea are a better side, no-one.

I'd still say on the whole the Premier is stronger but it won't be in 5 years time. It's slipping stupidly behind La Liga now and the Bundesliga will be next, Serie A is a league on the decline as well but I still think Juventus would win the Premier.

Hard to say, I suppose we'd only find out if we tested the price and looked at the results. I think we'd get quite close but wouldn't quite make 23K, but I'm just guessing there.

Also, I wasn't aware that individual match tickets were that high in Germany, I must admit that does seem quite steep. This sort of pricing system heavily encourages loyal support which must help to generate the fantastic atmosphere that exists in Bundesliga matches.

The club could run a direct debit 'pledge' system that only became live once 20K season tickets had been sold at £200 ?

This way they wouldn't have such a high risk of not getting the numbers........... 4 Games or £200 for the season...... I think it's a goer!

Archived