Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LanguedocFox

The cost of watching football

i went to see city for the first time this year v bristol city due to work . so thought would buy good seat in j2 was shocked at price of £42 , when i got to seat and had a word with person in seat next to me was told that thay had paid £15, think this is taking the pi-- is there any wounder that attendance are dropping , (i only new on day that could go ) so could not buy ticket early there must be alot of pepole who decide on the day to go to game and are getting riped off

Id be getting in touch with the club Pete!

It is expensive nowadays, but equally you're a bit of a mug if you pay for a pie/ cup of tea there anyway. Eat and before you go, it cuts the cost right down. Same as programs. Never bothered buying though ours do look fairly good, are they that much use to you?

It's down to the people who go really. If you're going to buy a program you're most likely going to be in the ground early sat eating a pie and drinking tea.

The burden of team investment hasn't filtered through to ticket prices then. This is good.

Why is Ipswich so expensive? Is it because they have invested and it hasn't worked? Or is it because it is kind off in the South East of England?

Thinking about it, I went out with a girl who was an Ipswich fan and I sat in the home end with her once. This was about 10 years ago and I remember it was hugely expensive, so it is probably due to Ipswich being a wealthy area.

For the record, Leicester lost 6-1 that day!

It's about time something happened, like clubs having a wage cap and lower the ticket prices instead because it is getting ridiculous now, I totally agree. You'll never get rid of fans, but one simply can't afford to attend every game.

So watching Ayr United or any Blue Square Premier team costs you more than it would cost to see Borussia Dortmund a whole season???? That's insane! I have no idea how people in the UK can actually afford and/or justify following a football team at such laughable costs...

Our family prices are good but £26 for a match day is ofcourse too much considering where we are as a club near all those nice big London teams who fans would rather sit at home and watch.

Mind you the clubs won't learn if as Stu says people are spending their hard earned cash on not just tickets but all the extras.

At the big clubs they worry more about the revenue from advertising and Sky than the fans...

Is anyone really surprised at this?

I thought it was obvious how expensive watching football had become?

Just watch how prices may well soar further if we go up. Cheapest season ticket at Arsenal is nearly a grand! lol

I'm more likely to dunk the ST if we do go up.

I certainly wouldn't pay £700 plus to watch 19 games.

Might have to get one of those new memberships so I can watch the players train. WOW !

It's about time something happened, like clubs having a wage cap and lower the ticket prices instead because it is getting ridiculous now, I totally agree. You'll never get rid of fans, but one simply can't afford to attend every game.

It'll never happen. The best players would clear off to Spain, Italy, France, Russia and English clubs would be much less competitive in the Champions League - top clubs will never accept a wage cap unless it is a very high one, and what would be the point in that? It would certainly degrade the quality of the Premier League. England doesn't produce world class players and foreign world class players wouldn't sign for a club inm England who are restricted as to what they can offer in terms of wages.

It'll never happen. The best players would clear off to Spain, Italy, France, Russia and English clubs would be much less competitive in the Champions League - top clubs will never accept a wage cap unless it is a very high one, and what would be the point in that? It would certainly degrade the quality of the Premier League. England doesn't produce world class players and foreign world class players wouldn't sign for a club inm England who are restricted as to what they can offer in terms of wages.

isn't it all relative though? wouldn't you go and watch a Leicester team filled with players like schlupp, hopper and Moore for a tenner if the stadium was full to the rafters and the team was, proportionally to the others, as good as it is now? I would. it's nice to watch ronaldos, messis and knockaerts, but I'd be happier watching a team of Leicester lads for £10.

isn't it all relative though? wouldn't you go and watch a Leicester team filled with players like schlupp, hopper and Moore for a tenner if the stadium was full to the rafters and the team was, proportionally to the others, as good as it is now? I would. it's nice to watch ronaldos, messis and knockaerts, but I'd be happier watching a team of Leicester lads for £10.

Exactly TBH i havent noticed that much of a difference in quality anyway, most of the best players play in spain anyway (hides).

I'd love to see home grown talent or even local players and see cheaper prices.

Lets face it most premiership games are pretty dull anyway.

I watched games in the MLS where the standard isnt great but it didnt matter, they were still compeitive matches, add the cheap tickets and all the other fan orientated stuff it was much more fun, I doubt many (except some modern day football fans) would rather things remain the same.

Guest BlueBrett
So watching Ayr United or any Blue Square Premier team costs you more than it would cost to see Borussia Dortmund a whole season???? That's insane! I have no idea how people in the UK can actually afford and/or justify following a football team at such laughable costs...

How do the German clubs make up the additional revenue then? Or are they all just even more in debt than ours and rely on their owners to compete in the transfer market?

£15 for the 'fan's fixture sums it up and shows they actually know what a more realistic match day ticket price should be.

How do the German clubs make up the additional revenue then? Or are they all just even more in debt than ours and rely on their owners to compete in the transfer market?

Aren't they mostly owned by the fans?

£15 for the 'fan's fixture sums it up and shows they actually know what a more realistic match day ticket price should be.

Aren't they mostly owned by the fans?

German clubs are democraticly run our FA believes ina free market approach. Bundesliga clubs are owned and controlled by the fans. Bayern munich for example have members who own ovber 80% of the club. The supporter members always hold the majority.

This is why our clubs are simply out to make as much money as they can (which you cn't blame them for) whilst german clubs see themselves and I quote ' social and cultural institutions and not just businesses like any other'.

This is why they can control the ticket prices and keep them low, it of course helps that the Bundesliga is the highest attended league in the world....they dont seem to mind a lack of superstars and some german clubs compete well in the CL.

But to think we will ever have a setup like they do in germany is a pipe dream it wont happen, the closest we'll get is supporter run clubs like FC united.

Really interesting read - I also feel that in the case of championship clubs like Leicester lower ticket prices would bring more people in and can result in them having more money to spend on food/drinks.

Fans fixture is a good start by our owner tho!

Archived