Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fez of Mahrez

An album for each season

Are there any albums you associate with a particular season for whatever reason? Here are a few of mine...

Autumn: Stevie Wonder - Innervisions

This is what made me think of this topic, was walking to work this morning listening to it. I think it's just the colours on the album cover that makes me think of Autumn.

Winter: Roni Size Reprazent - New Forms

Purely because I bought it with Christmas money one year (winter of 1997/98 I suppose), and remember listening to it the first time with snow on the ground outside.

Spring: Cut Copy - In Ghost Colours

This is a tricky one because I don't find Spring as easy to associate with things as the other three seasons for some reason, but this is what came to mind when I tried to think about it. No idea why. Good driving music.

Summer: Portico Quartet - Isla

Reminds me of sitting in a field listening to them at a festival and looking up at blue skies.

Hello stranger.

Autumn: Of Monsters and Men - My Head Is An Animal

Basically becasuse I've been listening to it recently. Just a nice, simple, fun album full of great pop songs. Quite summery really so hopefully I'll get a chance to jump around like an idiot to them at a festival next year.

Winter: Portishead - Portishead

For some reason I still remember first hearing this at a house party when I was about 15 during the middle of winter. I was battered on cheap cider and recall lying on someone's parents bed trying to get to sleep / stop my head spinning while this played down stairs.

Spring: 4 hero - 2 Pages

One of my favourite albums. Melodic, jazzy, bit hippy, it sounds like nature coming back to life after a cold winter. Quite glad I thought of this because I haven't listened to it for ages and now I'm definitely going to get stuck right back in to it again.

Summer: The XX - XX

Not your typical cheery summer album but it brings back so many memories of amazing times, from Glastonbury and Primavera where I saw them live to just sticking it on at the end of a big night out. Never get bored of it.

I wouldn't have said I have albums that I especially associate with any time of year, but I thought I'd have a think on it. Spring was especially hard; summer the easiest (I think because we all go out and enjoy music outside.) Anyway, here goes:

Autumn: For Emma For Ever - Bon Iver

The nights are drawing in and life is taking a more sedate pace, but nature is at its most vibrant and colourful. This album encapsulates all that.

Winter: Tindersticks (Second Album) - Tindersticks

There's snow on the ground, the wind is howling and you're huddled up by an open fire keeping the cold at bay. Someone else's problems are worse than yours and Stuart Staples is singing about him or her. Perfect!

Spring: The Beginning Stages of... The Polyphonic Spree - The Polyphonic Spree

An album of celebration, new life and returning joy. One of the best "feel-good" albums ever made, it's hard not to beam from ear to ear when you hear this and the perfect accompaniment to a spring morning.

Summer: Technique - New Order

The hardest pick with a few candidates, but this is the stand out; this IS a summer album. It has the Balearic beats, was recorded in Ibiza and is the quintessential summer soundtrack - it certainly was for me in 1989 (despite being released in February :whistle: ).

Autumn - Electric Wizard - Come my fanatics.

When the nights draw in something always brings me back to the doom of a bit of 'Wizard. Which is a bit strange as Autumn is probably my favourite season.

Winter - T.S.O.L - Weathered Statues. (Could have been Earth II Super Low Frequency version)

I first heard this E.P around bonfire night and it quickly became the soundtrack of that winter.

Spring - The Clash - London Calling

The album that changed my view of music. So many different rhythms, an eruption of sounds to go with the boom of nature bursting back into life.

Summer - Toots and the Maytals - Funky Kingston

On the first properly warm day of the year this LP always gets a blasting. It gets me in that summery mood every time, without fail.

Autumn : American Football - American Football: Intricate, soft little masterpiece from the late 90s. Perfect for the season.

Winter : Total Loss - How To Dress Well: Full of huge, dark soundscapes. So deep, a fitting contrast for when I'm listening to Wham! or Shakin' Stevens.

Spring : Total Life Forever - Foals: Brilliant album from a group that deserve every success they've achieved, full of bright little anthems, fits spring almost perfectly.

Summer : Shrines - Purity Ring: Only came out this summer just gone, but it got a lot of playtime at chéz MTWG and I know it'll be getting tonnes more by the time next summer perks up.

Cracking idea for a thread, by the way.

Good thread but so tough so will keep it recentish or i will procastinate for far to long.

Summer: Group love - Never trust a happy song: Cracking album and is my favourite road trip album when i hear it takes me back to my latest decent road trip hanging my feet out of the passenger window and we cruise the open roads. Seen them at a festival when it was peak afternoon mid 30's and just danced and had a ball pefect summer tunes.

Autumn: The Macabees - Given to the Wild: Came out our Autumn and got played so often in our house between my house and one of my albums of the year.

Spring: The Jezables - She's So Hard (Ep), The Man is dead (EP): Cheating a little bit hear by downloaded to EP's at the same time so was effectively a 10 track Album in my mind. Just takes me back to Spring arvos with a couple of beers chilling in the spring sun. Downloaded the night before i went to Africa and pretty much got played when ever there was down time quality ep's and the following EP then debut Album were just as good.

Winter: Paolo Nutini - These Streets: The mate i was staying with in Leicester recommended this album to me, takes me back to being a bit home sick wandering the streets of Leicester, London and Edinburgh after all my good friends i had meet had gone home, feeling like i was a very small fish in an extremly large pond in a dreary world.

Spring : Total Life Forever - Foals: Brilliant album from a group that deserve every success they've achieved, full of bright little anthems, fits spring almost perfectly.

Very good shout, one of my favourite Albums can't wait for there new album coming out Jan 2013 i believe.

Good thread but so tough so will keep it recentish or i will procastinate for far to long.

Summer: Group love - Never trust a happy song: Cracking album and is my favourite road trip album when i hear it takes me back to my latest decent road trip hanging my feet out of the passenger window and we cruise the open roads. Seen them at a festival when it was peak afternoon mid 30's and just danced and had a ball pefect summer tunes.

Autumn: The Macabees - Given to the Wild: Came out our Autumn and got played so often in our house between my house and one of my albums of the year.

Spring: The Jezables - She's So Hard (Ep), The Man is dead (EP): Cheating a little bit hear by downloaded to EP's at the same time so was effectively a 10 track Album in my mind. Just takes me back to Spring arvos with a couple of beers chilling in the spring sun. Downloaded the night before i went to Africa and pretty much got played when ever there was down time quality ep's and the following EP then debut Album were just as good.

Winter: Paolo Nutini - These Streets: The mate i was staying with in Leicester recommended this album to me, takes me back to being a bit home sick wandering the streets of Leicester, London and Edinburgh after all my good friends i had meet had gone home, feeling like i was a very small fish in an extremly large pond in a dreary world.

I thought an Aussie album for each season would be.

Spring: Sunny feel good album.

Summer: Sunny feel good album.

Autumn: Sunny feel good album.

Winter: Sunny feel good album.

I thought an Aussie album for each season would be.

Spring: Sunny feel good album.

Summer: Sunny feel good album.

Autumn: Sunny feel good album.

Winter: Sunny feel good album.

I wish, Melbourne is known as the city with "4 seasons in one day"

Autumn : The D.O.T - And That. Mike Skinner's production and Rob Harvey's vocals are just perfect for the dull days in autumn.

Winter : The Streets - Original Pirate Material. Quality album, Mike Skinner's voice is strangely soothing.

Spring : Blackmill - Miracle. Some really nice tracks on this 'Chillstep' album. Let It Be Ft Veela and Fortune Soul are two amazing tunes.

Summer : Friendly Fires - Pala. Some good light tracks, notably Hawaiian Air, has a big summer feel.

Spring

Concerto No. 3 in E major, Op. 8, RV 293, "L'autunno" (Autumn)

Summer

Concerto No. 4 in F minor, Op. 8, RV 297, "L'inverno" (Winter)

Autumn

Concerto No. 1 in E major, Op. 8, RV 269, "La primavera" (Spring)

Winter ;

Concerto No. 2 in C# minor, Op. 8, RV 315, "L'estate" (Summer)

Vivaldi was OK at composing stuff but I don't think he quite had the right feel for when it should be played !

Archived