Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mark

Euro 2012 candidates submitted

Five bids have been submitted to host the European Championships in 2012.

Joint bids from Croatia/Hungary and Poland/Ukraine have been made to Uefa, with Greece, Italy and Turkey also launching individual campaigns.

Croatia/Hungary are the early favourites - Hungary narrowly lost to Austria/Switzerland to host in 2008.

Uefa's executive committee will reduce the number of candidates to three on 7 November 2005 and then make a final decision in December 2006.

England should try!

Olympics and Euro 2012 in one year in our country! WICID

142904[/snapback]

It's too late now.

Besides, there is no way this country could cope with holding 2 international events in the same summer, and even if they could the cost to the taxpayer would be phenomenal.

I wouldn't want any of those places to host the European Championships.

to starts with most of them have very serious Hooligan problems when it comes to football Croatia/Hungary, Hungary especially has a terrible problem as does Italy who shouldn't even be considered with the current state of things, the same as Turkey, Greece has internal problems at the minute and most clubs fail to attract crowds of over 10k with mosts clubs ready to go out of business, so that leaves Poland/Ukraine who are probably in the worst position to host a football tournament!!! check out some of their stadiums

polish football grounds

I guess the Ukraine are pretty similar with very old Russian built stadiums I am not sure if they would have the finance or ability to build and host something like this

Guest Michal

Hi, I just had to register to reply, sorry :P

Fingersave- thanks for that! :D

I wouldn't want any of those places to host the European Championships.

to starts with most of them have very serious Hooligan problems when it comes to football Croatia/Hungary, Hungary especially has a terrible problem as does Italy who shouldn't even be considered with the current state of things, the same as Turkey, Greece has internal problems at the minute and most clubs fail to attract crowds of over 10k with mosts clubs ready to go out of business, so that leaves Poland/Ukraine who are probably in the worst position to host a football tournament!!! check out some of their stadiums

polish football grounds

I guess the Ukraine are pretty similar with very old Russian built stadiums I am not sure if they would have the finance or ability to build and host something like this

1. Not that I want to moralise, but aren't it English fans the horror of all organisers?! I think You people (sorry for generalising) have a different point of view- to say more clearly- odd point of view. Odd from where the rest of Europe stands. Why? Your stadiums are a great example for all people when clubs play. But your national supporting is pathetic (not chants, flags, etc, but the chaos Englishmen cause)! Meanwhile- the rest of Europe has a different problem. There maybe are disorders, but during club games. When nations compete the atmosphere is great! So saying that some country can't host because has a hooligan problem is sad, especially that England also has this problem and somehow did host Euro...

2. So what that Greek clubs fail to attract 10k??? They won't be playing in the euro...

3. About Polish/Ukrainian stadiums- how many decent arenas did Portugal have before the event???

And did you see the projects that are in construction (some) or proposed? Check them out...

Wisla Krakow, Poland- will look a bit different

Lech Poznan, Poland

Lechia Gdansk, Poland- will be increased to 40,000

Szachtar Donieck, Ukraine

And who said we don't have a decent stadium at all?

Stadion Slaski, 50,000, Poland, needs a refurbishment and will be fine...

Slaski as above

Olympic Stadium, Kijow/Kiev, Ukraine, 83,160 seats

The last one with some effort will do for the final... england hastn't got a stadium of this size at the moment (but future Wembley will truelly deserve it's legend :D )

Hi, I just had to register to reply, sorry  :P

Fingersave- thanks for that!  :D

1. Not that I want to moralise, but aren't it English fans the horror of all organisers?! I think You people (sorry for generalising) have a different point of view- to say more clearly- odd point of view. Odd from where the rest of Europe stands. Why? Your stadiums are a great example for all people when clubs play. But your national supporting is pathetic (not chants, flags, etc, but the chaos Englishmen cause)! Meanwhile- the rest of Europe has a different problem. There maybe are disorders, but during club games. When nations compete the atmosphere is great! So saying that some country can't host because has a hooligan problem is sad, especially that England also has this problem and somehow did host Euro...

2. So what that Greek clubs fail to attract 10k??? They won't be playing in the euro...

3. About Polish/Ukrainian stadiums- how many decent arenas did Portugal have before the event???

And did you see the projects that are in construction (some) or proposed? Check them out...

Wisla Krakow, Poland- will look a bit different

Lech Poznan, Poland

Lechia Gdansk, Poland- will be increased to 40,000

Szachtar Donieck, Ukraine

And who said we don't have a decent stadium at all?

Stadion Slaski, 50,000, Poland, needs a refurbishment and will be fine...

Slaski as above

Olympic Stadium, Kijow/Kiev, Ukraine, 83,160 seats

The last one with some effort will do for the final... england hastn't got a stadium of this size at the moment (but future Wembley will truelly deserve it's legend  :D )

146626[/snapback]

ok I will hold my hands up and admit that I was probably wrong on most points those stadiums do look pretty impressive to be fair. :doh:

However I do not agree with the Hooligan thing I am afraid you seem to have fallen for the media hype that surrounds England games and the noose that has hung around our heads since Hesyel. This country has done more to combat it than most of Europe added together where as in places like Italy they just ignore it and pretend it didn't happen. In France 98 when German fans rioted and kicked to death a young policeman this was ignored and England fans being drunk on a beach while being caged like animals was the main story, sun and beer is always a great mix!!! or in Italy against Wales last year when the Welsh fans were attacked with coins and bottles for 90 minutes from the tier above the same thing happened to Scotland this year when they were attacked for 90minutes while the Italians also rioted and fought running battles with themselves!!!! yet UEFA choose to ignore this sort of thing over and over again, yet two England fans get on the pitch and celebrate an England goal and we suffer a large fine and the threat of expultion.

I have been to many England games over the past few years and they are friendly family days out with very very little trouble and most away fans are treated with respect which can't be said about some other places around Europe, but we are seen as an easy target for people who don't want to look at the problems on their own doorstep!!!

Hooliganism is NOT a British problem it's a WORLDWIDE problem and as far as I am aware we are one of very few countries that actually do something about it and in the last 20 years the British game has changed more than any other country in the world!!!

How come if the rest of Europe are such well behaved fans that during the last world cup in Japan no trouble at all was reported, I think the saying is it takes two!!!!

Guest Michal
However I do not agree with the Hooligan thing I am afraid you seem to have fallen for the media hype that surrounds England games and the noose that has hung around our heads since Hesyel. This country has done more to combat it than most of Europe added together where as in places like Italy they just ignore it and pretend it didn't happen. In France 98 when German fans rioted and kicked to death a young policeman this was ignored and England fans being drunk on a beach while being caged like animals was the main story, sun and beer is always a great mix!!! or in Italy against Wales last year when the Welsh fans were attacked with coins and bottles for 90 minutes from the tier above the same thing happened to Scotland this year when they were attacked for 90minutes while the Italians also rioted and fought running battles with themselves!!!! yet UEFA choose to ignore this sort of thing over and over again, yet two England fans get on the pitch and celebrate an England goal and we suffer a large fine and the threat of expultion.

I have been to many England games over the past few years and they are friendly family days out with very very little trouble and most away fans are treated with respect which can't be said about some other places around Europe, but we are seen as an easy target for people who don't want to look at the problems on their own doorstep!!!

Hooliganism is NOT a British problem it's a WORLDWIDE problem and as far as I am aware we are one of very few countries that actually do something about it and in the last 20 years the British game has changed more than any other country in the world!!!

How come if the rest of Europe are such well behaved fans that during the last world cup in Japan no trouble at all was reported, I think the saying is it takes two!!!!

I agree that NOONE did more than England to fight it, but don't think that You're over with it. Just because Germans killed a policeman doestn't mean English fans are all clear... and please don't give me the Heysel talk- I am far from any comparison to that... And why do you think it was ignored? Did English media ignore it? Because You know- ignoring from UEFA... not that I've got no feelings, but here in the city where I live every month someone gets killed for supporting the wrong club and I can't imagine what would UEFA have to do to stop it? And as far as I remember English fans also didn't really suffer from UEFA...

Why go back to the Japan WC? Euro 2004 is closer... so you're saying that who "almost destroyed" (more like a metaphore here) Vaduz in the qualifiers? Well, my propably pro-Italian propaganda said those were English fans... Who made trouble in Turkey? They also said it was England. Will you tell me that in Portugal it was about two fans getting on the pitch to celebrate? Is that why 1000 English fans where banned (thanks to Your own system of security)??? I'm not only listening and watching in the media (I've been to England last week... very shortly, but still, and to scotland for a longer while). One thing I've noticed is that you people (again sorry for saying about everyone) "don't need much" to start :P . And I'm not clearing Italy or Hungary (although none of Polish fans who were at the game in Budapeszt two years ago seemed to have any problems and nothing about it in the media, I also don't recall any problem from fans of Amica who were playing MTK Budapeszt last season).

MY POINT IS! not that you are guilty of everything and I agree that media simplify information and simply conotate "English fans= trouble" <_< , but it's not all a plot against your nation... So I'm not saying that others are great and fantastic, but that you are not through with Your own problem and discredit Italy and Hungary for the same thing (especially that it's still 7 years till the Euro 2012). Only this, I think the fact that England fought hooliganism doestn't allow You to teach others, especially if You don't know if they have or haven't made any effort... I know by Poland that there were many efforts, but not every country hasthe same capabilities, not every society is the same, not all prbolems can be solved.

Guest Michal

I'm Polish and I love our stadiums, which You've called... well, You actualy didn't call them, but I think I got what You were (and propably still are) thinking. Well, our football is to say gently "developing" (meaning we have barely anything), but it is developing and stadiumguide istn't the best source of information for that :P

Plus, I'm a registered LCFC fan for almost a year now...

I'm Polish and I love our stadiums, which You've called... well, You actualy didn't call them, but I think I got what You were (and propably still are) thinking. Well, our football is to say gently "developing" (meaning we have barely anything), but it is developing and stadiumguide istn't the best source of information for that :P

Plus, I'm a registered LCFC fan for almost a year now...

147043[/snapback]

cool, and I do understand that Poland is developing very quickly as a country and will only get stronger now they are in the EU maybe I was a bit quick to dismiss them as an option and maybe they are about the best of the bunch I still would not give it to Italy because of the current problems not just violence but because ot the shocking way the game is run, match fixing and so on

how come you have decided to follow Leicester? you said you have been to England recently have you been to a match yet?

Guest Michal
cool,  and I do understand that Poland is developing very quickly as a country and will only get stronger now they are in the EU maybe I was a bit quick to dismiss them as an option and maybe they are about the best of the bunch I still would not give it to Italy because of the current problems not just violence but because ot the shocking way the game is run, match fixing and so on

how come you have decided to follow Leicester?  you said you have been to England recently have you been to a match yet?

147077[/snapback]

:D Glad to see the change of opinion, but of course it's "not all roses" (is there a saying of that kind? because I think there is, but I'm not sure) for Poland- meaning (just in case:P) the country is not getting better as fast as we would all want and as fast as we COULD. But I stay optimistic...

I'm not sure whether to give the Euro games to our country (if I wastn't Polish of course :P ), but I hope we will, in time prove to deserve it.

About Italy- I thought match fixing was our specialty :) oh well... I'll have to deal with that :cool: but contrary to Italy we are a developing country and we're just building democratic standards also in law so I hope Poland is excused for that :)

I first entered Leicester website a year ago (exactly a year ago!) when preparing an article for company preparing the political/financial/logistic background for the new national stadium which is to be built in Warsaw by 2008. I was supposed to compare the best stadiums with capacity 30-40,000. So I found Walkers Stadium, seen the avarage attendance which compared to the position and situation of te club was unbelievably good!!! And I thought- if that's not a football-loving community, what is?! And I am a proud registered supporter with news comming in from time to time :) That's about the story...

I've been to england, but only as a transit country- Scotland was the real destination. I've seen Wembley (what will become Wembley) and St. James' Park. In Scotland I've seen... Murrayfield (I know it's originally for rugby, but can host a football game) and less impressive Tynecastle (Hearts), Easter Road stadium (Hibernian) and the historic Meadowbank. But their league hastn't started the new season yet then.

Besides I've been to Britain as a part of the giant 500,000 Polish storm in search of jobs :P (I treated it more like an adveture, but still couldn't afford going to Leicester without having a source of income) and noticed that You are really such a cheap country!!! and came as a shock :angry: because life is so unfair :P

After a while I decided to live with it and come back, especially that I found no job in Edinburgh as the festival wastn't close enough, and now I'm waiting until they release the prices of tickets for the Wisla-Panathinaikos 3rd round CL qualifying game, which will be decisive to my going there :) -if I found a job I could affort it no matter the price, but I would be working there now so wouldn't see the game at all...

Guest Michal
Gendobre Michal! I hope Poland gets it too! Bardzo dobrze! :D

147774[/snapback]

Dzien dobry :) or gendobre if You prefer :P It's the first place I see so much support for our application- and I like what I see, thanks! :D

England should try!

Olympics and Euro 2012 in one year in our country! WICID

142904[/snapback]

are we allowed to host a major football tournament now? i know we were banned due to our fans beheaviour at away matches and the Turkey v England match??

• 8 months later...
Guest Michal

I realize it's a case of minor interest, but in case anyone is actually interested:

1. The phase two selection procedure has now began for the host of Euro 2012. Three reamining candidates:

-Italy

-Hungary/Croatia

-Poland/Ukraine

(Greece and Turkey have been eliminated)

For anyone interested, our (Polish/Ukrainian) proposed stadiums for today (not all projects have already been widely introduced):

National Stadium, Kiev UA, over 80 000, to be modernised:

kievolimpiyskiy26xu.jpg

National Stadium, Warsaw PL, 60 000 - 65 000, ?-2011, early scans:

skanuj8pe4la.th.jpg

nvp0eb5cg.th.jpg

Szachtar Stadium, Donieck UA, 50 000, 2006-?:

donetskshakhtyor15un.jpg

Lech Stadium, Poznan PL, 42 000, 2004-2010:

stadion4kq6rg.th.jpg

Baltic Arena, Gdansk, PL, 40 000, 2008-2010:

arenabaltycka015vx.th.jpg

arenabaltycka022wf.th.jpg

Wisla Krakow Stadium, Krakow PL, 34 600, 2004-2010:

tsw4wl.th.jpg

Stadion Meteor, Dniepropietrovsk UA, 30 000, ?:

dsc00726m1ui.th.jpg

Backup stadium in Chorzow, PL, 60 000, 2006-2008 (or possibly 2010):

stadionslaski026tp.th.jpg

Backup stadium in Wroclaw PL, 50 000, ? (initial design):

euro201211ib.th.jpg

england will be hosting the 2018 world cup without a shadow of doubt , and if im wrong come on here and slate me in 12 years :P

Guest Michal

Heh, maybe Wembley won't be, but I'm pretty sure you already have enough stadiums to host a tournament.

and they're "slightly" better then ours :blush:

To be honest- your Wembley is nothing when it comes to delays compared with our stadiums. Example:

Wisla Krakow stadium's project was first presented in 1998! (is changed a bit now, but the main idea is the same) Since then it took them 6 years to start contruction. after finishing one stand (for which the construction company had to pay before receiving any money) they stopped for half a year and just recently, in February started building the second one. It should be ready in 2010 which leaves us with 12 years of work on this one :)

To make it more embarrasing it's the third stadium being rebuilt since the overthowing of communism... When I see Wembley complications I just think "Thank God it's not alway us with the problems!"

But- it's still Poland going for it now. And to make things more impossible to understand- Turkey and Greece also had enough stadiums, better touristic and communication infrastructure. But I guess UEFA is like woman who likes a Ferrari when she sees one just because it's red... ;) Hopefully we will propose the right color!

Archived