Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Johnny Cash

Plan B

Despite being in one now we've not had many sticky patches this season having been in the top 2 or playoff positions as a bare minimum, but when we have had to change things around and get a result we've played 4231 (Hull away) or 433 (Blackpool away, Leeds home last night) & picked up points in the process... Or you can even point to the bringing on of Schlupp at LB to combat Blackpool's wingers in the home win over them (when they were flying & could have gone top) to secure the points. In those games or plenty of others Pearson's subs & changing things has brought the points home... to suggest otherwise isn't true.

Personally think we've got the players to play 4231 more often - Obviously we're stacked out with quality enough forwards in Nugent, Kane, Wood & Waghorn as able back-up so it's not the ideal formation but I think it would suit our midfielders incredibly well.

King - Drinkwater

Marshall - Knocky - Dyer

Forward

With James a suitable sub to the defensive 2 & Gally able to play in any of the attacking 3 positions

As I've long said though, it's not all roses... I'd like to see this more often away from home or when facing combative sides who flood the midfield against us, we can always bring on the extra forward and flatten the formation to a 442 later in the game to turn the point into 3.

Despite being in one now we've not had many sticky patches this season having been in the top 2 or playoff positions as a bare minimum, but when we have had to change things around and get a result we've played 4231 (Hull away) or 433 (Blackpool away, Leeds home last night) & picked up points in the process... Or you can even point to the bringing on of Schlupp at LB to combat Blackpool's wingers in the home win over them (when they were flying & could have gone top) to secure the points. In those games or plenty of others Pearson's subs & changing things has brought the points home... to suggest otherwise isn't true.

Personally think we've got the players to play 4231 more often - Obviously we're stacked out with quality enough forwards in Nugent, Kane, Wood & Waghorn as able back-up so it's not the ideal formation but I think it would suit our midfielders incredibly well.

King - Drinkwater

Marshall - Knocky - Dyer

Forward

With James a suitable sub to the defensive 2 & Gally able to play in any of the attacking 3 positions

As I've long said though, it's not all roses... I'd like to see this more often away from home or when facing combative sides who flood the midfield against us, we can always bring on the extra forward and flatten the formation to a 442 later in the game to turn the point into 3.

This formation has been suggested since early season but we can see from NFP's acquisitions in recent months that he has absolutely no intention of playing anything like this.

When we play anything other than straight 4-4-2 we are hopeless, so hopeless in fact that I am quite sure we never practice anything other than 4-4-2, last nights mix of 4-4-2 and 4-3-3 being a case in point, several players seemed to have no idea of where they were supposed to be playing or what their role actually was.

The (4-2-3-1) system allows great flexibility in the front 4, if you know what you are doing. Wood is the obvious choice to lead the line (now anyway), providing we don't hit it long, and both Knockaert and Marshall can play in the hole. The wide men can be either wingers or strikers and would have given players like Vardy and Waghorn chances to play regularly without having the weight of expectation that comes with being a main central striker.

Sadly none of these things have been tried this season and it became pretty clear back in the autumn that we were going to play 4-4-2 if at all possible. I do not expect that to change anytime soon...... :(

Archived