Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
WeAreGoingUp

Where did it all go wrong this season?

They were scared of being in 2nd place or high up the table I've just posted a thread with quotes from the game after the Watford away game. Nugent said he thinks the team felt pressure and were scared at being 2nd/high up in the table.

That is a good quote. Definitely one worth remembering, he said that all the way back in November. How the chickens have come home to roost.

Where we have gone wrong is that we were found out. I'm convinced by this.

Teams started to take notice of the likes of Knocky and literally stamped him out. It's no coincidence that he's looked a shadow of the player since Christmas.

Chris Wood became a marked man.

Drinkwater was given no time on the ball to get it forward.

Now, given this, it was down to Pearson to rethink the situation out. To change how we were playing and to make one or two signings in Jan that would compliment a different style. He didn't do this.

However, the main reason why Pearson needs to be replaced is because he's a manager operating outside of his time, so to speak. He's no worse than the likes of Warnock, McCarthy, Davies etc.. But these are all 'roll up your sleeves and battle' type of managers. Tactically, they are all dinosaurs. They have had their time.

Watching Watford last night exemplified this perfectly. They filled the midfield, were quick on the counter attack, had pace across the side, kept it on the floor and the midfielders made bursts time after time that werent picked up by our players. They resembled a typical Premiership side to me. Sit and soak up pressure, then BANG... They were up in our area within a few seconds. It was the epitome of modern day football. Quick, slick, precise.

When we attacked it was typical Pearson.. Too slow, too deliberate, giving their players the time to get back and cover.

I think it's time for a young manager with a fresh outlook on how to play the game to become manager. Someone last year mentioned Solskaer.. Perhaps not a bad shout.

What I don't want to see is more of the same. It's not been good enough and that's clear for anyone who wants to see.

you shut up , he is, played in a European championship played against Italy and spain experience that we needed

Experience of being torn a new arsehole, hope the piss head Brummie twat never plays for us again

Good points made Col city fan....Nigel should have addressed the situations with Drinkwater and Knocky.....problem is, it maybe too late now.

Ole would be good, but look what happened at Wolves and Blackburn.....is it a big step for Ole to come to England??

I would stick with Pearson...he's still a youngish manager....if Sven had had the run we have just had, he's have resigned and bottled it!! fair play to Nigel he's tried and stuck with things and i know its been hard!!!

Think it's a collection of things....players not remaining confident enough to keep consistent performances when we were 2nd (Nugent's quote sums it up). Pearson's lack of plan B and attitude to certain players surely just proves it's his way or no way. Also just the general persona that we have very little in terms of being a 'high quality side'. Yes we have decent players but I rarely see any push from them to take opponents on or play the attacking risk, which might not come off.

This to me sounds as though players either aren't being man managed well enough or they are simply afraid of the repercussions should something not come off.

P'boro away was the start of the downhill run and I think that topped off where it all went wrong. There were signs before that game but that was the icing on the cake.

So many players are too inexperienced when it comes to the crunch, out of the players we have got, how many of them have tasted actual success/promotion in the Championship before?

Probably just Morgan with Forest, Konchesky with many teams, Nugent and King when we got into the Play-Offs before.

The rest haven't even tasted the heights of promotion, simply far too young, or simply not good enough anymore i.e Wellens, Gally, Whitbread.

Our only player with strength is Morgan, although he has terrible positional and technical ability...

Only pace are Dyer, Schlupp and De Laet who don't know how to use it effectively.

No one can knock defenders around or run the midfield, look at Watford they had Doyley who beat Dyer and Konchesky for pace every time.. Chalobah broke up midfield and scored a great goal, and Deeney bullied Keane and Morgan all game

Also no effective winger, some would say Knockaert is good, but being able to do tricks but not having the brain to use them will get you nowhere, and Dyer is just not consistent enough.. Marshall is just wank.

I don't believe it was Hudders away that did it, just because he change a few players, I don't believe it was Peterborough either, I think there has had to be something bigger go on or our self destruction be a result of a string of things that was set of with a catalyst.

I think a lot of the problems started when we played Huddersfield away in the FA Cup. Pearson decided to play our second team for that match, with Waghorn and Vardy up front to supposedly 'prove a point' as to why they're good enough to be in the starting line up. How could they have played well together anyway? Waghorn was playing his best performances for a long time until we signed Chris Wood and Waghorn was automatically placed on the bench.

I still struggle to understand why Pearson went for the team he did against Huddersfield: When we played at their ground in the league we won 2-0 through two extraordinary strikes, though we didn't dominate the whole game, it's not as if we ran riot over them. We played them at home and won 5-1, which in my opinion was most likely down to a very bad day at the office for Huddersfield who were low on confidence themselves.

Pearson got way ahead of himself in the cup and underestimated Huddersfield massively, and when his assumptions were not paying off, he applied the pressure to the young, somewhat inexperienced members of the squad, which they could not handle. They were then inadvertently forced to take the flack for the 1-1 draw, which could only have dented their confidence.

Playing them in the replay, the players still weren't in their previous flying form and numerous players (such as David Nugent) were just generally under-performing. The loss that evening only made matters worse.

Since then, the players have not looked the same players they were in January, with each one of them appearing to be uninterested. However, with our young squad, I believe their inexperienced heads have just been frightened to take the games by the scruff of the neck. Though what more could you expect?

I've always been a fan of Pearson and this season I really thought he was the man to take us forward, but he seems to have let his desire to be respected as a manager overcome his man-to-man management. Players such as Jermaine Beckford have been sent out on loan. Beckford does well at other clubs when he has the full backing of the manager who fills him with confidence, however judging by Pearson's approach towards his players, he probably deemed Beckford not to be a player who will be challenging for every ball and so shifted him off to the next club. Similar to the Neil Danns situation.

I understand it seems like I've gone off on one or two tangents but as I was typing I got more and more depressed.

It seemed to me we got into second place, couldn't handle the pressure of being pace-setters and simply bottled it. I can't think of any other reason for such a dramatic loss of form in so many players.

It seemed to me we got into second place, couldn't handle the pressure of being pace-setters and simply bottled it. I can't think of any other reason for such a dramatic loss of form in so many players.

combined with a failure to bring in some fresh legs has cost us dear.......

we should have loaned in at least 1 midfielder + 1 forward

The players lost their nerve. I just wonder whether the Thursday vs Wolves then a 10 day break upset our rhythm and it gave the players the chance to look around them and realise how good a situation they were in and it played on their minds. Nerves crept in.

Add to that that our bad run was at a time when we were playing 3 games a week so there wasn't much chance to re-group following bad results and they spiraled from there. Then when we could re-group Wes gets sent off within three minutes and we're back to square one. That was the one that killed us IMO. If we'd managed to get something against Millwall it would have lifted spirits but the manor with which we lost it finished us mentally.

In this run, what makes me most dissapointed is that we started playing cowards football. Get the ball and lump it as far as you can. That way you can't be at fault for a goal. Clear sign of nerves from the players. I'm sure NP isn't stupid enough to change a winning style and say "right lads, let's abandon what's got us 2nd and lets play direct to the most potent strike pairing in the league who we know don't suit that style". The players must have courage of their convictions to do what they've been doing. This was most keenly felt in centre-mid with three 22 year olds. Say what you want about his quality, but surely there was a time when Wellens' experience in the engine room would have been vital.

The players must take most responsibility because at the end of the day they're the ones who go out there and wear the shirt. NP no doubt was culpable too but the players bottled it. We have to hope they can learn from this because they have ability - if they didn't they wouldn't have got us to where they did. Mentally they must get stronger as a group. There's a nucleus of a good team here with talented individuals. What we need next season is winners down the spine of our team to help them along.

Our only player with strength is Morgan, although he has terrible positional and technical ability...

Only pace are Dyer, Schlupp and De Laet who don't know how to use it effectively.

No one can knock defenders around or run the midfield, look at Watford they had Doyley who beat Dyer and Konchesky for pace every time.. Chalobah broke up midfield and scored a great goal, and Deeney bullied Keane and Morgan all game

Also no effective winger, some would say Knockaert is good, but being able to do tricks but not having the brain to use them will get you nowhere, and Dyer is just not consistent enough.. Marshall is just wank.

:thumbup::appl:

Archived