Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
WeAreGoingUp

Where did it all go wrong this season?

so lets look at the facts and statistics of the past season. ps this took me ages

we have played 45 games and have taken 66 points from them, meaning we average 1.4 points per game which is mid table form and due to the championship play-off places needing less points this season this is the only reason we are up there.

2 wins in 16 is our current form, rock bottom Bristol City have managed 4.....

we have took 11 points from a possible 48, Bristol City have took 16.

surely changing a winning squad does not do this to a team for 16 games? so what is going on.

Nugent has not scored in nearly 15 games and Wood was very poor as well for 10 games or so? but on new years day when we slaughtered Huddersfield they looked like they had been playing together all season.... very strange

A coupe of items occurred about Pearson as well, is he really a good manager who can take us up to the Premier League, as much i dont want him sacked im loosing my faith bit by bit after every game.

is he a good man manager?

Liam Moore came to Rawlins College to do a speech a few months back and when asked about him said he was a very scary guy and that you dont want to cross him. is this right for a manager to behave?

let me know your thoughts.

Think we've had a decent season. The likes of captain pancake and Finnegan have developed to the point where they can play in the middle and by next season they'll probably be fully fledged right wingers.

We still have a problem with a lack of any kind of substance on the left wing. The likes of large al and sphericalfox are too weak and we could do with some replacements.

Looking forward to nightguard returning from injury. That'll bolster out defensive line up. Maybe the likes of daggers and nick will return having had bust ups with the manager but it's likely they'll be shipped out.

Flowwolf is still a good attacker and this ultra nerdy analogy is running out of steam

We will never really know what happened!

I think we had a blip in jan and we were in a false position

Drinkwater has been 1 reason we are poor!

NP has done some good things for the club and I think he will stay but it worries me about his lack of tactics and no plan b, also he falls out with too many players

the whole season changed when we drew against huddersfield in the fa cup. From that point on we went from a decent side to being shit and devoid of confidence. i'd like to see a team sheet of that game and the previous league game to see what players made the difference.

I think the writing was on the wall after the first three games of the season when we lost the first two away matches against Charlton and Blackburn. This was the first sign that no tangible progress had been made under Pearson (remember, under Sven we lost the first two home games of the preceding season). Once we'd got to second place in the table, the youth of the squad buckled under the strain and, once again, the failure to recruit an experienced 'commanding' midfielder told. We will now probably finish eighth - which amounts to virtually no progress on last season. We will have to hope this group of players mature as a result of the experience of this season but at the moment we look like a side who could end up in a relegation fight next season.

I think the writing was on the wall after the first three games of the season when we lost the first two away matches against Charlton and Blackburn. This was the first sign that no tangible progress had been made under Pearson

I wholeheartedly disagree with you here. These games were the complete opposite. They were the cause of so much hope and optimism for the rest of this season in my opinion. Yes we lost both games, but the way we went about the games, the football we were playing and the chances that we were creating left me confident that if we could stick to that style of play, work on improving it over the rest of the season and actually finish our chances, we would be in for a great season. They showed alot of potential in those games and we were very unlucky to lose both of them.

Unfortunately, we seemed to change the way we played at some stage of the season. We didn't play with the same intensity and we didn't seem to keep the ball on the floor as much, or have enough faith in that philosophy. It was like they were scared of failing rather than wanting to get out there and make something great happen. They were taking safer options. It's safer to play longer balls and pass sideways or backwards rather than being positive, taking people on, being willing to take a shot or look for abit of space to thread a decent pass through. Perhaps, that is because of the pressure surrounding this football club at times? We all know the sound of the groans from all around the stadium when they do try something like that and f**k it up.

Players bottled it.

What does this mean though? It's such a vacuous comment. We can see that they bottled it, but why? What caused a team of highly confident players playing a free-flowing passing game that would have been fit to grace the Premier League with the sort of unimaginative, turgid football we've seen in the final third of the season?

What does this mean though? It's such a vacuous comment. We can see that they bottled it, but why? What caused a team of highly confident players playing a free-flowing passing game that would have been fit to grace the Premier League with the sort of unimaginative, turgid football we've seen in the final third of the season?

They were scared of being in 2nd place or high up the table I've just posted a thread with quotes from the game after the Watford away game. Nugent said he thinks the team felt pressure and were scared at being 2nd/high up in the table.

Doesn't matter now...its in the past..who cares

We have to learn where mistakes was made and more importantly how we avoid this situation ever happening again

Onwards and upwards and keep the faith...there's still 1 game left and we still could make the play-offs....you never know what is around the corner

Doesn't matter now...its in the past..who cares

We have to learn where mistakes was made and more importantly how we avoid this situation ever happening again

Onwards and upwards and keep the faith...there's still 1 game left and we still could make the play-offs....you never know what is around the corner

Absolutely Correct That Man! It's not over till the Fat Lady Sings!! ( If that is PC Acceptable)?

I wholeheartedly disagree with you here. These games were the complete opposite. They were the cause of so much hope and optimism for the rest of this season in my opinion. Yes we lost both games, but the way we went about the games, the football we were playing and the chances that we were creating left me confident that if we could stick to that style of play, work on improving it over the rest of the season and actually finish our chances, we would be in for a great season. They showed alot of potential in those games and we were very unlucky to lose both of them.

Unfortunately, we seemed to change the way we played at some stage of the season. We didn't play with the same intensity and we didn't seem to keep the ball on the floor as much, or have enough faith in that philosophy. It was like they were scared of failing rather than wanting to get out there and make something great happen. They were taking safer options. It's safer to play longer balls and pass sideways or backwards rather than being positive, taking people on, being willing to take a shot or look for abit of space to thread a decent pass through. Perhaps, that is because of the pressure surrounding this football club at times? We all know the sound of the groans from all around the stadium when they do try something like that and f**k it up.

Agree with this.

There was a turning point when we started to show a different attitude. I noticed it in the way we were using the ball, and our body language off the ball.

Pearson made some obvious errors - notably not strengthening enough in January (midfield, defence) and putting out weakened teams team for the cup games when we really needed to keep a winning mentality and keep confidence up. I don't know whether he told them to start hoofing it more but he's not really shown any signs that he didn't want it that way. Many times he's protested that we're playing well when we're simply not (saying we were mainly on top last night I find very strange).

We hit a snag and went on a bad run. After that, the players seemed to give up. We lost our confidence and in most games I've felt several players just haven't looked like they've wanted it enough. Bottling it might be a phrase you could use, blaming their inadequacies on other people could be another (something that was a massive problem last season). I have not seen the passion and drive necessary for promotion/a play off place since it started to go wrong.

I don't think Pearson has had a clue how to stop the rot and maybe one of the reasons is he just can't do a lot when the players aren't showing the right attitude.

Or maybe, just maybe, we're cursed. How we managed to fvck this season up so badly, I'm not sure I'll ever truly work out.

Archived