Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Mercury - as ever first with the big stories

Peter Canero is set to get another chance to shrug off his "forgotten man" tag when Leicester City travel to Rushden and Diamonds tonight (7.45pm).

The 24-year-old, who played in Monday's 2-1 defeat by Inter Milan, is in a youthful squad for what looks like being City's penultimate match of pre-season.

Despite featuring in the first starting XI that Craig Levein picked, the one that drew 2-2 at Crewe last November, Canero made only six starts all season and this summer was one of three of City's younger players who were made available for transfer.

While Leicester-born defender Matt Heath has since joined ex-City boss Micky Adams at Coventry, Canero and striker Tommy Wright are still at the Walkers Stadium.

And after coming through the tough work-out against Inter, Canero said: "That's long, long overdue - it's just good to be back and involved in things."

Canero admits that injuries have not helped his cause but, now that he is fit, he knows he faces a long haul to work his way back up the pecking order.

"When the manager first came, I got a run of games and it was great," he said. "But I've fallen out of favour and it's been a long time since I featured so it's been frustrating.

"But I've just got to keep my head up and keep playing and, hoepfully, if something comes up, then I've got to take it."

Nevertheless, Canero insists that he is committed to City and said: "I've got to keep working away until otherwise.

"I'm 24 and, at this stage of my career, I want to be playing and it's hard when you're not involved. All I've got to do is keep working hard and hope something will come of it."

He added: "Obviously the target is starting against Sheffield United. It's going to be hard but I've got to try to get myself back in favour."

Also set to figure against Rushden tonight are new signing Peter Gilbert, the left-back bought from Plymouth for £200,000, and four others who played against Inter - Richard Stearman, Alan Sheehan, Chris O'Grady and Levi Porter.

Manager Craig Levein said: "We are going to play a lot of the younger lads at Rushden because the game against Inter took an awful lot out of us."

But striker David Connolly and midfielder Stephen Hughes, neither of whom played against Celtic or Inter, will not be risked as they continue to fully recover from niggling injuries ahead of the season-opener against Sheffield United which is 10 days away.

City: Logan, Stearman, Gilbert, Wright, Canero, Sheehan, O'Grady, Dodds, Porter, Graham, Smedley, Lycett, Franklin, Muggleton, Norvall, Wykes, Cisak.

Peter Canero is set to get another chance to shrug off his "forgotten man" tag when Leicester City travel to Rushden and Diamonds tonight (7.45pm).

The 24-year-old, who played in Monday's 2-1 defeat by Inter Milan, is in a youthful squad for what looks like being City's penultimate match of pre-season.

Despite featuring in the first starting XI that Craig Levein picked, the one that drew 2-2 at Crewe last November, Canero made only six starts all season and this summer was one of three of City's younger players who were made available for transfer.

While Leicester-born defender Matt Heath has since joined ex-City boss Micky Adams at Coventry, Canero and striker Tommy Wright are still at the Walkers Stadium.

And after coming through the tough work-out against Inter, Canero said: "That's long, long overdue - it's just good to be back and involved in things."

Canero admits that injuries have not helped his cause but, now that he is fit, he knows he faces a long haul to work his way back up the pecking order.

"When the manager first came, I got a run of games and it was great," he said. "But I've fallen out of favour and it's been a long time since I featured so it's been frustrating.

"But I've just got to keep my head up and keep playing and, hoepfully, if something comes up, then I've got to take it."

Nevertheless, Canero insists that he is committed to City and said: "I've got to keep working away until otherwise.

"I'm 24 and, at this stage of my career, I want to be playing and it's hard when you're not involved. All I've got to do is keep working hard and hope something will come of it."

He added: "Obviously the target is starting against Sheffield United. It's going to be hard but I've got to try to get myself back in favour."

Also set to figure against Rushden tonight are new signing Peter Gilbert, the left-back bought from Plymouth for £200,000, and four others who played against Inter - Richard Stearman, Alan Sheehan, Chris O'Grady and Levi Porter.

Manager Craig Levein said: "We are going to play a lot of the younger lads at Rushden because the game against Inter took an awful lot out of us."

But striker David Connolly and midfielder Stephen Hughes, neither of whom played against Celtic or Inter, will not be risked as they continue to fully recover from niggling injuries ahead of the season-opener against Sheffield United which is 10 days away.

City: Logan, Stearman, Gilbert, Wright, Canero, Sheehan, O'Grady, Dodds, Porter, Graham, Smedley, Lycett, Franklin, Muggleton, Norvall, Wykes, Cisak.

145266[/snapback]

LMFAO. lollollollollollollollol:rolleyes:

Hurrah for the Mercury!

145292[/snapback]

How times change. Don't remember too much piss taking about the Mercury when Lawrie Simpkin and Jimmy Martin were the football writers. Stories really were in the Merc first and proud they were of it too.

Playing Devil's Advocate here for a minute,but the news about Canero broke just after 5pm didn't it? and that article would've been proofed and printed late Tuesday night/Wednesday morning.

So,just this once being fair to the LM,it did look like the story caught more than one person on the hop.

Playing Devil's Advocate here for a minute,but the news about Canero broke just after 5pm didn't it? and that article would've been proofed and printed late Tuesday night/Wednesday morning.

So,just this once being fair to the LM,it did look like the story caught more than one person on the hop.

145497[/snapback]

But are they not LCFC's official Media Partners - I can't believe, who ever is to blame colud make the Mercury look so stupid.

Let's not forget the recent 'He's Ours' headline for Peter Gilbert - sorry no excuses at all.

Communication channels for a local paper that is part of a media empire could be called ineffective at the very least.

All this on top of the 2 page spread that Blanderson did on the Bury cup match based on how we hadn't played them since the 1950's when we'd played them in the Cup in the 70's and Blanderson was there and reported on it. lollollol

Total Incompetents - an opinion based on clear and unequivocal evidence ;)

145497[/snapback]

Spot on of course. And the Mercury has been less of a servant to its community for every minute the deadline for copy has been brought forward...and it has been brought forward a lot over the years.

Even so a columnist has to be over the club like a rash and to have a feel about what's going on as well as listening to the "party line".

Archived