Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
breadandcheese

Player Ratings

i know this game is all about opinions but i do question the fact that williams was outstanding , he did ok , made a few tackles and played some nice stuff but i personally think gudjohnson out shone him

douglas 4

stearman 6

maybury 6

johanson 7

mccarthy 5 (far too many free kicks conceded)

sylla 7

williams 6

joey 8

wilcox 6

connolly 7

de vries 7

gilbert 4

elvis 4

Hopefully she'll be fine, they are just keeping her in Sheffield to check her overnight and fingers crossed she'll be out in the morning, but thanks for your concern. Anyway, here are my ratings:

Douglas 5

Stearman 6.5

Maybury 8

Johansson 6.5

McCarthy 6.5

Sylla 6.5

Wilcox 6

Gudjonsson 7.5

Williams 6

Connolly 7.5

De Vries 6.5

i know this game is all about opinions but i do question the fact that williams was outstanding , he did ok , made a few tackles and played some nice stuff but i personally think gudjohnson out shone him

151489[/snapback]

Completely agree there - it seems like those of us who went to the game (me, you, Sheff Fox, Muz etc) weren't as impressed with Williams as those who saw the game on TV (as reflected by the ratings we have given him) :S

Completely agree there - it seems like those of us who went to the game (me, you, Sheff Fox, Muz etc) weren't as impressed with Williams as those who saw the game on TV (as reflected by the ratings we have given him)  :S

151495[/snapback]

yeah its true anish , ireally want williams to succeed here but time and time again he fails to come up with the goods , he is probably our most talented player in our side but we need to see it more often

Completely agree there - it seems like those of us who went to the game (me, you, Sheff Fox, Muz etc) weren't as impressed with Williams as those who saw the game on TV (as reflected by the ratings we have given him)  :S

151495[/snapback]

Surprise, suprise I disagree with that, only kidding :D I actually agree about Williams and I watched it on the box, which I admit gives one a completely different perspective of the game; I thought Williams had a typical Williams game with flashes of significant influence, where I thought play like that some more and you could end up man of the match there was even the odd tackle but alas there were more times when I forgot he was playing.

This is from watching on TV...

Douglas - 2 - As a prefix I feel I better add that I will give Douglas every chance to prove me wrong in my first assessment of him and I hope that he improves and does well for us. However today he was simply awful, as bad debuts go that ranks up there with the worst. His indecision made the first penalty for Sheffield Utd, he made quite a good save before half-time but that is about the only good thing he did in the match. The last goal was appalling, as again indecision made him come out and let the striker in behind him. There were a few other times he was indecisive as well but we weren’t punished for it. Every time he was rushed to make a clearance he put the ball out of play, he reminded me of Pressman except Pressman was more mobile. I wasn’t there so I couldn’t tell whether he communicated with the defence well but from the scoreline it would appear not.

Stearman - 7 - Another impressive game from Stearman, there were a few rough patches but those will be cleared up very quickly. He made a good tackle (on Webber I think) in the box in the first half to stop a goal, he got forward and linked up well with Sylla and is definitely an asset to our side. I was surprised to see him in the starting line-up but hopefully its the first of many appearances he’ll make for us this season.

McCarthy - 6 - I didn’t think he had a particularly bad game, he did hang off players a bit too much but that is not unusual for him. He was threatening from corners (well, more than any other player) and when he needed to he’d put in a hard challenge.

Johansson - 6 - Nissa was a bit anonymous for me, I remember he had a good chance from a corner once on the attacking side, defensively I’d say he was solid because I can’t remember him making any mistakes, and I do remember he made a couple of good passes, but I wouldn’t say his performance was particularly memorable.

Maybury - 5 - I always say that Maybury shouldn’t be played out of position and this proves it, he had a good moment in the opening minutes when he stayed strong and stopped a player from going around him but generally he was poor at LB and did let players get past him.

Sylla - 7 - He showed flashes of brilliance but towards the end of the match seemed to drift out of it a bit which is why I’ve not given him a higher rating. In the first few minutes he showed his skill, picking the ball up in our half and running all the way to the by-line, shouldering off Sheffield Utd defenders to put a cross in. Throughout the match he also got back and helped out defending, on one occasion he skilled himself which is always humorous but more often than not his tricks work out and he has the physical strength to keep hold of the ball and do something with it.

Williams - 6 - He showed his ghosting ability for parts of the match as per usual, but he did seem to make a bit more of an effort at moments, on occasion he would display great vision with passes and his movement, on others he would lose the ball and look ineffective. I still prefer Hughes...

Gudjonsson - 8 - I wasn’t one of the people who thought Joey was rubbish last season, but even with my good opinion of him I thought he did even better today. His energy was boundless as he’d run from box to box and was quite often the first back stopping a Sheffield Utd attack. He also showed that sometimes he can pass a really good ball. Get rid of the hair though please Joey.

Wilcox - 7 - I was pleasantly surprised with Wilcox today, he not only seemed to keep up for a large portion of the match, he also was one of the few players trying to shoot (although he should have done better), I don’t think he put in many good crosses but he did put through some intelligent passes. He tired toward the end of the game though.

Connolly - 8 - It took me a while to warm to Connolly last year, sure I thought he was a trier but there was something a bit cold about him. Now I’m sold though, he worked his socks off and that’s while he was half fit, sure he was dragged out wide a few times as usual but he was important in many of the passing moves we put together and his goal was a good one (even if the deflection was slightly lucky). I think he’s on the up this season and will improve on his scoring tally from last season, I just hope he doesn’t then decide to go because we don’t to well enough.

De Vries - 6 - His performance was improved upon what we saw last season, but still wasn’t really up to scratch. He has a good first touch and can sometimes keep possession and persevere when it looks like he’s losing out. However his lack of confidence makes him want to walk the ball into the back of the net, and he found himself in the unfortunate situation sometimes of shooting when he should have passed and passing when he should have shot. Its a shame he didn’t manage to somehow squirm the ball into the back of the net because I believe it would have done his confidence no end of good.

Subs:

Gilbert - 4- I wasn’t that impressed with him, he wasn’t on for long but it seemed as if players got past him very easily, although it might be the lack of fitness showing him up.

Hammond - NA - not on for long enough

I do like to waffle a bit :P

Douglas 5 - Sweet baby jesus, we've got a crap one here. I thought he was dodgy to say the least, good shot stopper but can't do the simple things right like catch crosses and pick the ball up when it's 5 centimetres from your nose. I hope he gets better, Celtic reckon he has amazing games and really bad games, nothing in between. Well he needs to have 2 spot on games now as we need 6 points to get back in there early doors.

Stearman 7 - Never fails to amaze me. He has so much natural talent it's scary, still very raw in parts but he still gets himself out of trouble if he lands in it. Although he's naturally a centre back, his ability to get up and down the flanks is an asset to this team. I prefer Maybury to play in his correct position, but Stearman will always do us proud if called upon. Potential England class.

Johansson 7 - Steady, didn't seem under threat at all. Never a penalty, never in a million years. Not very quick, but reads the game like Maldini :D

McCarthy 6 - Not his best game for us, been taught by Dabizas to hold players all the while. Now Nils is here, he'll soon change. Didn't seem AS rash as last season, but still can be a lunatic given the chance.

Maybury 6 - Started off well, but second half I thought he looked poor. Gets beaten when he's played on the left, but was pleased he was captain. He's better than his performance on saturday.

Sylla 7 - Started off like a man possessed, Harley couldn't handle him. Will be class for us, just a shame his long range shooting wasn't more decisive on the day.

Williams 7 - Class at times, absent at others. He's becoming more of a box to box midfielder, once he steps up that extra gear he'll be quality on a regular basis. You'd think with the added competition he'd be up for it, time will tell. Should shoot mor eoften when given the chance.

Gudjonsson 7.5 - Looked sharp and didn't give the ball away. He knows he is down the pecking order and must impress given the chance, battled well.

Wilcox 5 - Wasn't keen all game on him, missed sitters and his pace is non existant. Good crosser, but pointless unless Dublin is playing. Tiatto you slag, stop getting banned.

Connolly 9 - You are our best player and it's an honour to watch you play. Without you this team will score the lowest amount of goals in a season ever. Please stay focused and please take your chances, the whole city of leicester is depending on you. Quality goals, got more front than Blackpool.

de Vries 6 - Work rate, 10/10 shooting 0/10. Looking fitter, but still a donkey in front of goal. You just feel that if he could get a few goals he'd suddenly turn good, but I thought that about Akinbiyi, Benjamin and Ormondroyd and it never happened.

Subs:

Gilbert 5 - Can't really remember what he did. Not alot.

Elvis N/A - Did you enter the building?

Just to let y'all know you have one more hour to register your ratings on the web site if you haven't done so already. Voting closes at 9pm so get your votes in before then. I will announce the results tomorrow morning, although there will be a match preview going up there later tonight hopefully :)

Archived